Crabtree signed

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Solar 7, I've had the opportunity to witness an "Air Raid" offense as a fan when the creator brought it to division 1 college football. Hal Mumme brought it to the University of Kentucky in 1997, all his assistants passed it down. Mike Leach was the OC under Mumme at Kentucky, although Mumme called the plays. Mike Leach had a QB at Texas Tech by the name of Kliff Kingsbury, sound familiar lol? Anyways, players with speed, no matter where they are on the depth chart, this offense finds a way to get them on the field. Deception on go routes, reverses, fake reverses, trick plays you name it, I've seen it, been a Kentucky season ticket holder for many many yrs now. This offense requires depth at WR, I'm surprised we aren't keeping 8 WR's because of the many routes they have to constantly run? You need fresh young legs & bodies. It gets players in space, so one with speed will pay huge dividends. Trust me, Isabella wasn't a wasted pick, as long as he doesn't get injured, he will play many snaps each game. Every WR we keep will play as long as they're not injured. KK has took this offense & evolved it from how Hal Mumme used it. Go back & watch some Texas Tech tape, this man can call plays, he knows how to get players in space. It's what he lives for. Why he doesn't sleep & is in the office designing plays before the sun rises each day. He will figure out how to use it in the NFL, I have no doubts. I'm worried about the defense, not one bit about the offense. This yr, we compete & make it exciting to watch giving us hope for the future, next season we get our 100 million in dead cap money back to spend on building this team. If next season SK doesn't fix both the OL & DL with all that cap room, then he should be fired.
Hope this helps ease a few of your concerns?

I'm excited to see how he puts his own spin on the air raid in the NFL. The offense doesn't concern me, I think it's going to be a hybrid air raid, coach is smart enough offensively to make adjustments. That's all we can ask for is to have a coach who isn't so stubborn to change.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm excited to see how he puts his own spin on the air raid in the NFL. The offense doesn't concern me, I think it's going to be a hybrid air raid, coach is smart enough offensively to make adjustments. That's all we can ask for is to have a coach who isn't so stubborn to change.
Spot on. He will adjust. I just created a thread from an article I found, telling about how KK uses analytics about the percentages on whether a play is effective or not. He gathers info from our analytics team now that we have one. He will adapt & evolve. Go check out the article in the thread, long read but a good one.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
WR is not a simple plug and play for rookies and usually requires some seasoning unless you're an anomaly like Anquan Boldin. Fitz is the only true vet and if he went down, having two second year WRs, a second pick and UFA, is not too reassuring. I would not say Johnson would be lame to forfeit some playing time to a guy like Crabtree early in his career. Crabtree's time as a pro is far from shabby if you look at his numbers and deserves some respect
Kirk was on pace for 800 yards in a putrid offense in his rookie season before he was injured. For reference, that would have been more yards than Crabtree had in 6 of his 10 seasons. I'm certainly glad Kirk got that experience instead of sitting behind an older vet in noticeable decline.

Rookie WRs in general are taking less time to adapt, too. Juju put up over 900 yards 2 years ago in his rookie season. DJ Moore had 800 yards last year as a rookie. Isabella and Johnson may not have reached that level before Crabtree was signed, but I think they can learn a lot being on the field a bunch during a year when there is little chance we will be legitimately competitive.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Maybe we can run 90 plays a game is we give up 84 yard TD runs and give the ball back to Murray.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One year for Crabtree is worth the risk. Price was a little steep so hopefully he will excel in this offense.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One year for Crabtree is worth the risk. Price was a little steep so hopefully he will excel in this offense.
And the little roadrunner streaking down the middle of the field every once in a while. Y’all know who I’m talking about!