Could Suns get involved in Dwight Howard?

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
Word is that Howard will not play for Van Gundy. Rumor had it that Howard was interested in playing with Nash. Could it happen in Phoenix, instead of Orlando? Howard is only on a one year deal.

How about this package for Howard:
Gortat
Warrick
Brooks (sign and trade)
2012 1st round pick

This roster might have enough talent to get Nash to stay with Suns.

PG - Nash/Telfair
SG - Crawford/Redd
SF - Dudley/Hill/Childress
PF - Frye/Morris
C - Howard/Lopez

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. We'll be a 3rd or 4th team involved. We give up 1st round picks unprotected and will receive 2 or 3 SF's in the deal. We'll trade Gortat to the 3rd team.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
This is like the Tennessee Titans fiasco a few years back. The QB and the Head Coach couldn't get along. The owner took sides and ended up losing both of them within a year.

Flash forward: The Magic will appease Dwight by firing Van Gundy, but then Howard will move on to a bigger market the following season.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

If the Suns want Nash to stay, all they have to do is pay him more than anyone else. The quality of the roster isn't relevant.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
If the Suns want Nash to stay, all they have to do is pay him more than anyone else. The quality of the roster isn't relevant.

I disagree. I don't think Nash was just blowing smoke when he made his demands.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I disagree. I don't think Nash was just blowing smoke when he made his demands.

They aren't "demands." He will be a free agent. The Suns had plenty of opportunity to offer him an extension or at least hammer out the framework of a new deal, and they declined. Maybe they still want him, but Nash has no way of knowing that. And, more to the point, he has no way of knowing whether anyone else wants him either.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
They aren't "demands." He will be a free agent. The Suns had plenty of opportunity to offer him an extension or at least hammer out the framework of a new deal, and they declined. Maybe they still want him, but Nash has no way of knowing that. And, more to the point, he has no way of knowing whether anyone else wants him either.

Call them whatever you want but Nash said he won't come back unless we make some serious upgrades. Particularly, a 20 point a game scorer.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Call them whatever you want but Nash said he won't come back unless we make some serious upgrades.

Yes, I understand, but he also won't come back unless the Suns make him a generous offer. Which they very well may not. And the second of those conditions is firmer than the first.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

I don't think an extension was technically possible because of the contract Nash signed before.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Word is that Howard will not play for Van Gundy. Rumor had it that Howard was interested in playing with Nash. Could it happen in Phoenix, instead of Orlando? Howard is only on a one year deal.

How about this package for Howard:
Gortat
Warrick
Brooks (sign and trade)
2012 1st round pick

PG - Nash/Telfair
SG - Crawford/Redd
SF - Dudley/Hill/Childress
PF - Frye/Morris
C - Howard/Lopez

I'm not keen on making a run on Howard when there are some FA PFs out there that could help bolster the Suns front line such as Ersan Ilyasova and Kris Humphries. Also the Suns desperately need a dynamic scorer and a PG. Hopefully they will fill one of these needs in the draft.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Howard out for the year with back surgery. Bulging discs. That's a serious and recurring issue for a huge guy like him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howard out for the year with back surgery. Bulging discs. That's a serious and recurring issue for a huge guy like him.

As I understand it, Howard has a herniated disc which I believe can be a progression from a bulging disc. There are particles that may need to be removed that can touch the nerve once a disc has a perforation. I'm no medical doctor but I do have life experience regarding such.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7834605/orlando-magic-dwight-howard-back-surgery-miss-rest-season

Budden

Registered
Reaction score

I agree that some of the "roster upgrade" suggestions that Nash has been dropping here and there aren't demands. But I disagree that it will ultimately come down to whatever team pays Nash more.

Nash seems to be approaching this free agency as a way to be leverage his vision for the Suns in the next few years. One of the main reasons he never asked for a trade before this was that he made a commitment to the Suns by signing the contract, so he was only focused on fulfilling his end of the obligation to its fullest. In doing so, he was nodding to the fact that he was accepting that part of the NBA is truly a business. Now that he's no longer contractually obligated to give anything to this team, he is going to see what kind of pull he can have at the negotiating table. Because even though Nash realizes this is a business, he also has a fondness for the Suns - he would love to be able to go out seeing this Phoenix Suns' era, which he undoubtedly was the face of, go out his way. So, if him somehow structuring a deal with the Suns where he gets some of his demands - i.e. 3 years, guaranteed - but accepts an overall lower guaranteed amount of money so the the Suns can go after max level free agents this summer or next summer.

Oh, and you better believe Grant Hill's coming along for the ride as far as his legs can take him.