Coronavirus (Covid-19) personal illnesses or stories

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by jf-08, Mar 17, 2020.

1. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

Horrible.

2. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

Something I thought I'd mention, because I'm too lazy to produce and publish a video......

There may be some out there, but I have yet to see a really good handwashing video. The thing they all seem to miss is the added attention that must be given to the fingertips and thumbtips, from the last knuckle out, both sides. Think about it... Probably 90 to 95 percent of the contact one makes with one's face is with the pads or tips of the fingers/thumb. I know I spend a little extra time scrubbing the fingertips/thumbtips everytime I wash or sanitize my hands (FYI - I've worn all the lines off my hands and fingers).

Also.... Rather than run a song through my head while I am scrubbing, I just wash my hands the same way every time, and it tales 30 seconds, plus or minus 2 seconds. I'm to the point where if I hear the song "Happy Birthday" again, I'm going to blow cake-chunks everywhere..... :eek:

Anyway..... Just a thought.

LVG likes this.
  3. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

I saw a great video of someone smearing black gunk on their hands, using a washing technique, so that it was really easy to see which spots had been missed, because they weren't covered with black. But the video was on Facebook, so it's probably gone forever.

4. UncleChris

I saw that video, but thought it was a bit non-representative. I went grocery shopping today (didn't get very much) but I'd be surprised if anything I grabbed actually touched the palm of my hand.

I didn't go video shopping, so there may well be good videos out there..... I just haven't seen them..... Plus, I think my advice is solid.... ;)

5. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I found another reason for the toilet paper shortage if it hasn't already been mentioned. It's a fairly detailed article.

Here is the gist of it:

If you’re looking for where all the toilet paper went, forget about people’s attics or hall closets. Think instead of all the toilet paper that normally goes to the commercial market — those office buildings, college campuses, Starbucks, and airports that are now either mostly empty or closed. That’s the toilet paper that’s suddenly going unused.

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

6. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

Brother called out of work today. Was very achy. Not sure if he has a fever. No cough. Works at an Amazon warehouse. That last statement is what worries me. Hoping it's nothing.

7. carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt Didactic

Well wishes to him and all of yours.

Hope he's okay.

8. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

damn Jersey. Hope he's okay!

9. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Best wishes to him

10. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

Same from me, Jersey

11. LVG

LVG Your Friendly Neighborhood P&R Mod Contributor

Best wishes JG.

12. UncleChris

Got my fingers crossed for your brother. Good vibes sent his way!

13. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

My oldest sister worked for the registrar of voters for ages and retired about 18 months ago. She paid into CalPers the whole time and gets a pension that's really good. She got her April pension already but there are lots of reports that going forward the pensions might be cut, perhaps drastically. Calpers is so big that to fund the payments they invest in the stock market, and with the markets way down, they may not have the funds to pay out.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/the-state-worker/article241391841.html

Her boyfriend works at a grocery store, he's trying to last just a bit longer and then retire on his pension, which btw is funded by the stock markets just like Cal pers!

14. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

This is the design of all retirement plans. They all invest in the market with different allocations based on a number of factors. In a 401(k) or 403(b) (nonprofit) or 457 (govt) they are individual accounts and individuals usually have control of their allocation. With pensions (defined benefit) each individual has a promise built on a formula that typically takes pay and service into account. The allocation of the entire plan takes into account funded status (how many dollars it holds), and actuarial projections regarding what the future liability will be. Based on those numbers the plan has to figure how and where to invest to meet annual funding targets. So it is almost always invested, at least to some degree, in stocks. If it’s being derisked they are buying annuities, but that’s only recently become en vogue. With the markets so far down employers are going to be forced to make much larger contributions to get to necessary funding status (although the CARES Act allows them to wait until Jan 1 or next year for 2020 contributions). Some companies’ pensions might be their end, but the truth is, few of these actually exist anymore. And if a company goes belly up the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corp insures the plan (but not dollar for dollar, so retirees take a hit). The PBGC is quasi-governmental entity whose premiums all pensions are forced to pay.

Matt L, Russ Smith and Folster like this.
  15. jf-08

jf-08 Administrator; Rules Creator Staff Member

Same here. Health and quick recovery for Jersey Guy.

Mainstreet likes this.