Connor Brewer Transfers to Arizona

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Former Longhorns QB. Beat out Alabama, USC, Notre Dame, and other notables. Obviously has to sit out 2013, but will be in the mix in 2014.

Former HS teammate of Davonte Neal, who'll likely have to sit out 2013 as well.

Big pick up. It'll be interesting to see if/how RichRod adjusts his offense to Brewer's pro style game.

Caps off a very big last five days of recruiting, which has seen 7 new players pledge to Arizona for 2014.

Last edited:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate the college "sit-out" rule. Doesn't make any sense. There is no sit-out rule in the pros. Let 'em play.

Although I think if you go from lower ranked divison to 1A, you don't have to sit out. Not sure.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
I hate the college "sit-out" rule. Doesn't make any sense. There is no sit-out rule in the pros. Let 'em play.

Disagree. It needs to be in place or many players would change teams yearly because they didn't win the starting job, disagreeing with a coach/teammate, etc. since they have basically one-year contracts, it's the only way to maintain a sense of stability.

Put it to you this way. Had that not been in place, Matt Scott would've transferred the minute he lost his job to Foles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Good pickup for UA unless RichRod tries to jam his system down Brewer's throat.

Doubt it. RichRod will tailor his system to Brewer's strengths while giving him tools to be better.

That's the beauty of this move--he easily could've gone to Alabama, that runs a pro style offense, and had a seamless transition to the two-time defending champs.

Even with all of that, RichRod somehow convinced Brewer to come to Tucson.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Good pick up for UA.

I wonder if all these recent transfers back to the state of Arizona, (Brewer, Neal, Westerman, etc) might make big time recruits that are leaving the state pause and reconsider. Perhaps the grass isn't always greener somewhere else.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What system is that? He's had success with plenty of slow pass-first QB's and those types occupy the first few slots on his depth chart right now.

And I'm not sure Brewer is slow. He's just not a runner. If the defensive end crashes on the read-option, Brewer can get 5 positive yards before meeting a safety.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
And I'm not sure Brewer is slow. He's just not a runner. If the defensive end crashes on the read-option, Brewer can get 5 positive yards before meeting a safety.

4.8 40. Same as Shaun King when RichRod was the OC & QB coach for Tulane in the 90s.

Not known for his wheels at the time, King went from a combined 6 yards rushing his freshman and sophomore year to 1152 yards his junior and senior years when RichRod was hired. His passing numbers gradually increased as well to the point where he was drafted in the 2nd round in 1998 (too bad he sucked when he was a Cardinal :bang: )

Brewer will learn to run, but not at the expense of his arm.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Matt Scott averaged a mere 6 QB run options per game last year. RR still uses the zone read but he definitely passes out of it if his QB has an arm.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Doubt it. RichRod will tailor his system to Brewer's strengths while giving him tools to be better.

That's the beauty of this move--he easily could've gone to Alabama, that runs a pro style offense, and had a seamless transition to the two-time defending champs.

Even with all of that, RichRod somehow convinced Brewer to come to Tucson.

Someone has changed their tune :)

RICHROD FOR PRESIDENT. Going to get Brewers highly rated WR UT buddy to transfer as well. Another 4 star with incredible offer list. Between us and ECU so dont see how we dont get him. Cayleb something.

Man the talent in this program especially from Arizona - Neal, Brewer, Denson - is at the highest its ever been and only getting better. #1 in Pac12 in recruiting right now, and we offer early so its skewed but better then the alternative.

MOUNT UP!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Former Aggies QB. Beat out Alabama, USC, Notre Dame, and other notables. Obviously has to sit out 2013, but will be in the mix in 2014.

Former HS teammate of Davonte Neal, who'll likely have to sit out 2013 as well.

Big pick up. It'll be interesting to see if/how RichRod adjusts his offense to Brewer's pro style game.

Caps off a very big last five days of recruiting, which has seen 7 new players pledge to Arizona for 2014.

Umm.... no. Longhorns.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol good catch. The damn Manziel coverage screwed with my head

Lord knows we've heard enough of "Arizona Sun Devils" and "Arizona St. Wildcats" over the years. I guess it's okay to dish that out on a couple of other schools. :)

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score

RICHROD FOR PRESIDENT. Going to get Brewers highly rated WR UT buddy to transfer as well. Another 4 star with incredible offer list. Between us and ECU so dont see how we dont get him. Cayleb something.

Man the talent in this program especially from Arizona - Neal, Brewer, Denson - is at the highest its ever been and only getting better. #1 in Pac12 in recruiting right now, and we offer early so its skewed but better then the alternative.

MOUNT UP!

Are you referring to the twitter exchange i had w/ Jason Scheer?

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

MOUNT UP!

According to his father (via AZ Daily Star), this move is now official as well (Cayleb Jones transferring from UT to UA).

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
According to his father (via AZ Daily Star), this move is now official as well (Cayleb Jones transferring from UT to UA).

Boom.

2014 WR corp will be Neal, Hill, and Jones.

Damn, son!

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Don't forget Trey Griffey.

Currently, he's behind Miller, Georges, and Phillips on the depth chart, but obviously it isn't static.

Curious to see how Griffey performs when he gets a shot.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Let's see if we can find an actual QB first before we cork the champagne. That receiving core has a chance to be the best in the country but won't matter if there's crap throwing it to them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson