Confederate Memorials: Confronting Difficult History - National Trust for Historic Preservation

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Dback Jon, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Bert

Bert Walkin' on Sunshine

Seattle would have a statue of Lenin... lol There's no reason for that to exist.

This is an opportunity that I keep talking about.

The left should go; Ok you're right lets tear it down. We'll help you then you help us tear the Confed ones down.

Pick your battles. I keep saying the same thing about congress. When Trump introduces a bill that is harmless (If that ever happens) they should jump on it and 'support' it.

You've got to start practicing cooperation at some point instead of just preaching it. Plus then when election time comes and Trump says THE LEFT NEVER SUPPORTED ME! You can be like, ahhha! Untrue, remember the SB2389203 bill where we supported adding Fuji water drinking fountains to all 4 seasons resort beaches? We totally supported you! :p

100% accurate. Remember when Obama came here and there were all those idiots walking around with Assault rifles as this stupid intimidation tactics? The cops were all; Hey that's their right! (which is true)

I wonder what would happen if a group of BLM protesters showed up at the Trump rally armed to the teeth.

nashman and Dback Jon like this.
  2. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut 4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon Contributor

Hey, watch it there buddy. My dad worked for the BLM back in the day!

Oh wait, that was the Bureau of Land Management.

:)

Linderbee and Bert like this.
  3. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

There are too many initial abbreviations out there for my liking. BLM will always primarily mean, Bureau of Land Management in my book.

Your dad's legacy is safe with me. ;)

DemsMyBoys, Linderbee and Bert like this.
  4. nidan

nidan Oscar Contributor

good luck with that

5. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

6. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

[​IMG]

BigRedRage, stewdog1 and cardncubfan like this.
  7. 3rdside

3rdside Registered

Don't know if this has been posted but it's a doozy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Azlen

Azlen Registered

Sometimes you find yourself calling slavery a good thing when you're a paid Trump supporter.

The video of the exchange is contained in the story in case you think the Daily Beast's reporting on it is too biased.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/katrin...usly-awful-attempt-to-defend-trump?yptr=yahoo

On the other side was Wendy Osefo, the left-leaning half of Fox & Friends’ most devastating segment the week before, who pushed back fairly gently against Pierson, saying the statues belonged in museums, not on state grounds.

But it was this comment from Pierson that caught Osefo’s attention: “It absolutely deserves a place, because bad history is still good history for this country.”

“Slavery is good history?” Osefo asked in disbelief.

“Considering where we are today! Where we are today! Absolutely!” she said.

“Slavery is good history? Absolutely? Oh, wow,” Osefo shot back.

When Pierson argued that American children wouldn’t know “how special and how wonderful” this country is without the Civil War, Osefo asked, “How special slavery is? You know how many people died?”

All host Ainsley Earhardt could do is try to get between them with general platitudes like “it’s clearly a heated topic” and “no one is racist, no one believes in racism or bigotry” that don’t seem quite as universal as they used to.

9. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

Courtesy of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, no doubt...

[​IMG]

False comparison, anyone?

nashman and Linderbee like this.
  10. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

Yeah, let's build a replica of Auschwitz in the middle of Poland and see how well that flies. What a stupid comparison.

11. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Completely false. A statue of Robert E. Lee proudly riding his horse is far from a reminder of what the South was back then -- a nest of traitors. Those kind of memorials are celebrations, not reminders. They have no place anywhere.

Put a statue of Hitler outside the Reichstag saluting proudly--yeah, see how that gets received by the German people.

ozzfloyd likes this.
  12. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Yup - a similar memorial in the south would be Slave Market, or Slave quarters, etc.

The equiv to the Lee statue would be a statue of Hitler, Himmler, or the Commander of the Concentration Camp

13. MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey Thank You Paul!

My other favorite is the usage of the statue of liberty..... You know, this thing

[​IMG]

14. JS22

JS22 Say Vandelay!

These fake tough guys are what bother me the most about all of this. Bunch of basement-dwellers buying gear off the internet and "protecting" their rights. I wonder how many actually served? Or, how many just spend 20 hours a day lurking on alt-right message boards? This is their version of cosplay, I guess. Only much more dangerous.

nashman likes this.
  15. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

Well, it is there and it can be visited. But, they aren't putting up statues of Rudlof Hoess and Heinrich Himmler and saying it celebrates their "heritage".