Computer powers on but does not load

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was my power supply, but after replacing it, it does the same thing- turns on but doesn’t boot up. I have unplugged and re plugged everything within the guts of the computer, including the RAM and again, same result. Also, My power button and reset button on the tower doesn’t seem to be working. I tried switching the reset and power up cords but that didn’t work. Computer turns on when I switch the power supply from O to I.

My motherboard and graphics card have green lights when powered. CPU fan spins so there’s power getting to it.

Any thoughts or tips that I can try? I’ve read that bad RAM could also affect the boot up process, but I don’t know.

APS had a scheduled power outage last month and the power must have went on and off 4 times in 30 minutes. My computer speakers made this crazy noise, so I turned off the power and didn’t turn it on until today, and realized the computer wouldn’t load.

Also, my wireless keyboard/mouse hub thingy does not power on when connected to the USB port in the back. I plugged it into and outlet and it had power, but it does not when connected to the back usb which connects to the motherboard. I plugged in a usb mouse and it did not bring up my screen, it remained black.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, Yuma. I’ve tried everything and it appears my motherboard is shot. Fun times!

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, Yuma. I’ve tried everything and it appears my motherboard is shot. Fun times!

I've had 2 die because of a surge. Had a surge protector both times but still screwed things up. First time it was just dead. No lights, no fans, no power. Checked PSU and it still worked and luckily I had purchased a protection plan for the mobo, so got an exact replacement. The 2nd time was a couple of years later, only this time the ethernet port stopped working. I ended up installing a network card, but over time other things got worse, so I upgraded fully. Had everything plugged to a surge protector as well, but the surge came in through my ethernet cable. Modem was fried as well.

Anyways, if you have 2 sticks of RAM, try just one in different slots. If you can get your hands on a different stick, I'd try that as well before you go replacing and upgrading mobo/CPU. I have a 3570K sitting in my closet because I couldn't find a board to plug it into. That's when I decided to upgrade and try out AMD.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Just be glad its the mother board and not the drive.