COMCAST Trying to Thwart Disney Aquisiton of 21st Centrury FOX

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comcast is rumored to try and offer 60 Billion dollars in cash build to pull the rug out from under Disney. Selfishly, I hope that doesn't happen because I want to see all Marvel properties under one Umbrella not to mention distribution rights to certain other properties.

Plus, I can't imagine Disney not responding.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/08/technology/pacific-newsletter/index.html

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screw that merger. I fear FOX getting swallowed up means it’s another HUGE studio who actually takes risks with adult programming and feature fare disappearing.

It might be great so all comic books fall under the same umbrella but it could be curtains for anything but comic book movies and TV from here to kingdom come.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screw that merger. I fear FOX getting swallowed up means it’s another HUGE studio who actually takes risks with adult programming and feature fare disappearing.

It might be great so all comic books fall under the same umbrella but it could be curtains for anything but comic book movies and TV from here to kingdom come.

Disney has let Marvel be Marvel and Pixar be Pixar. I wonder if they would do the same for Fox properties?!

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are more adult properties

Yes they are. I am just saying Disney may let 21st Century Fox continue on the same path as they have done with other acquisitions.

If COMCAST gets it, expect exclusive content for COMCAST customers only. That is way worse!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are more adult properties

bingo.

disney doesn't let ANYTHING be R Rated. there goes pretty much all of Fox Searchlight... adult dramas... and even your beloved Deadpool and Logans. no way the mouse makes those movies. Haven't for a decade.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
bingo.

disney doesn't let ANYTHING be R Rated. there goes pretty much all of Fox Searchlight... adult dramas... and even your beloved Deadpool and Logans. no way the mouse makes those movies. Haven't for a decade.

You really think they would ax R movies? I doubt they would change anything up and run it as usual.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really think they would ax R movies? I doubt they would change anything up and run it as usual.

I don't. They have already been down that path with Touchstone Pictures which is a brand they used for older audiences.

The movie Glass is going to be a co-production with Universal and Bloomhouse. That is not a kids movie.

Doesn't make sense they would start doing that now and axe the R movies.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The reason for this acquisition might indeed include the fact that they want a recognizable (and huge) brand to distribute live action adult (R rated) movies.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason for this acquisition might indeed include the fact that they want a recognizable (and huge) brand to distribute live action adult (R rated) movies.

This includes Dead Pool too. No way they let that die.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't. They have already been down that path with Touchstone Pictures which is a brand they used for older audiences.

The movie Glass is going to be a co-production with Universal and Bloomhouse. That is not a kids movie.

Doesn't make sense they would start doing that now and axe the R movies.

Glass is only tangentially related to the Mouse simply because it's still tied to old Touchstone.

You saying they wouldn't start axing R rated movies ignores the point that outside that one example, that's a co-production with another studio, they literally stopped making anything outside PG-13.

Disney is a money maker... plain and simple. They're going to water down product for greatest gain in all situations and that means 4 quad films.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glass is only tangentially related to the Mouse simply because it's still tied to old Touchstone.

You saying they wouldn't start axing R rated movies ignores the point that outside that one example, that's a co-production with another studio, they literally stopped making anything outside PG-13.

Disney is a money maker... plain and simple. They're going to water down product for greatest gain in all situations and that means 4 quad films.

You could be right but they could dominate that side of the market as well. I just don’t see them messing with that success a la Dead Pool.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This would certainly make Disneys upcoming streaming service more appealing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would certainly make Disneys upcoming streaming service more appealing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Completely agree. Library for streaming would look so much better.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just as some feared Disney would saturate Star Wars to death, the fear of Disney-ification of Fox might be right around the corner.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/its-getting-awkward-at-foxs-movie-studio-as-disney-deal-looms-1533906010

Fox’s movie studio is expected to be significantly downsized once the deal is complete. Disney will likely take over Fox’s two biggest film franchises, Avatar and the X-Men, and scale back production of costly movies that don’t fit its family-friendly, franchise-focused formula, people close to both companies have said.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just posting this here because I searched and found Disney in the title.

Disney out of ideas...

Walt Disney Pictures is in a rut.

Despite its dominant position as a media and entertainment colossus, the past few years have brought a creative downturn for the studio that once made The Lion King, Aladdin, and Mulan, critically acclaimed and popular animated movies marked by wholesomeness, fun, and originality. These days Disney releases far fewer original movies and more recycled stories, franchises, and reboots. It's a depressing trend that's certain to continue for the foreseeable future.

http://theweek.com/articles/797822/disney-ideas

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All of Hollywood is out of ideas.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just posting this here because I searched and found Disney in the title.

Disney out of ideas...

http://theweek.com/articles/797822/disney-ideas

It wouldn't be the first time. Disney purchased PIXAR not only because it was hot but because of the new ideas being generated by that team. They purchased Marvel because it came with a rich universe it could explore. It purchased Lucas Film for the same reason.

This really isn't new news I guess. Plus it's not just about ideas. It's about hedging risk. I am sure they have lots of ideas in the can or pitched. It's safer to do a sequel or revisit a property to them verses doing something unknown. It's unfortunate because we need more original stuff even though I hope certain franchises continue.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In defense of movie studios (not that they need any) I think part of this is on the audiences. I think audiences seem to want the popcorn, churn and burn movies or they wouldn't keep flocking to them. That only encourages the studios not to take chances.

I mean for F's sake....please stop going to Michael Bay transformer movies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose