Colvin update - per Mike Jurecki

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently the Cardinals have offered Colvin more money than any other team but he doesn't appear to want to come here.

Jurecki says he thinks it's because Colvin may not want to sign a long term contract to play for a coach with only one year left on his contract.

Kordell Stewart is looking for a 5 year, $25 mill contract with a large signing bonus. Jurecki's opinion is that is double what he's worth and we should wait and sign Jeff Blake instead.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion
Apparently the Cardinals have offered Colvin more money than any other team but he doesn't appear to want to come here.

Jurecki says he thinks it's because Colvin may not want to sign a long term contract to play for a coach with only one year left on his contract.

Kordell Stewart is looking for a 5 year, $25 mill contract with a large signing bonus. Jurecki's opinion is that is double what he's worth and we should wait and sign Jeff Blake instead.

Doesn't Mac have two years left on his deal? Besides, if he only hs one - he hasn't shown cause to extend anything . . . yet. Never pay Kordell that much money - and even if we sign Blake or Kordell for that matter - that doesn't end our QB problems, it just puts a band-aid on it - if Leftwhich is there, we better draft him - my opinion.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've already pretty much written off Colvin. So, I'm not too surprised by that. When I saw he tacked on two more visits to Houston and NewEngland, I knew that was because he didn't like it here.

I actually think the Stewart offer is pretty reasonable for a starting QB, I'm okay with it. As long as we get competition and the contract is pretty cut friendly, I see no problem with signing Stewart to that deal.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Given our choices, I was someone who was rooting for us to sign Kordell, however, if he really is looking for a 5-year 25 million dollar deal he can keep looking as far as I'm concerned. No way is he worth that much. Steinberg strikes again . . .

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Agreed. I am still hoping that we can pick up Griese after watching him these past years in Denver (go to school in Colorado).

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not at all surprising,, I wonder what Mr. Graves has in his bag of tricks? I can suppose it is not a 10 win season....

The Aura of Losing Continues..

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By losing Boston we lost whatever passing threat we had. The rest of what we have is filler. That, I think, is an impediment to getting any FA QB in here. So, I expect very little from our offense.

On the D side. I think FAs are looking for something more than money. They want a ring so they will go to the team that has the best chance of winning. Unless we double our offers...

Someone stated that we have to spend at least 24 of the 24 mill we have on FA's. But what if none of the big fishes want to sign. That means we will have to overpay bigtime to get any 2nd level Fas in here. Which will just put us in a further hole. I think Graves screwed us up by not getting anything for Boston or keeping him. At least we would only be short a QB. We all knew the D needs lots of fix'in. But at least we had the potential to score.

It is getting darker and darker....Hopefully it is getting close to the dawn.... :(

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would NOT give "Coach Mac" an extension of any kind. He has proven NOTHING as a Head Coach. Even before the injuries last year this team was playing very poorly. What is his record? If they give this guy an extension then they need to apologize to Vince Tobin.

Mac is way, way, way over his head. He isn't even a very good coordinator IMO.

Peace!

AzWins23

Reaction score
TRW....You must be on drugs.....Coach Mac has done nothing but a good job here....Don't blame Mac, blame Bidwill for not puting players we need on the field!!! All last year we had nothing but injured players...So i don't want to hear that its his fault!!!

Give him a break!!

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by TRW
I would NOT give "Coach Mac" an extension of any kind. He has proven NOTHING as a Head Coach. Even before the injuries last year this team was playing very poorly. What is his record? If they give this guy an extension then they need to apologize to Vince Tobin.

Mac is way, way, way over his head. He isn't even a very good coordinator IMO.

Peace!

TRW....

I have to disagree. I think Mac showed what he could get out of an injury depleted team.. I think Bidwill saw that and said that if Mac can do that with that talent level then I do not have to get any real talent (or keep it) because Mac can get players to go above and beyond.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
That's a new one, he won't sign because the coach only has one year remaining on his contract. I guess what Colvin really wants is top dollar plus a Super Bowl bound team. I say to heck with these guys, let's wait until June and see what we can flesh out. A lot of teams are betting the farm to ring that bell and they will pay the piper when they have to deal with the salary cap. Let's face it, none of these guys are coming to the Cards because of their passion, it's all money.

OP
OP
Skkorpion

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MadCardDisease
Didn't they just recently extend Mac's contract?

Nope. In fact they almost fired him when he balked at firing some assistants. Larry Marmie and Joe Greene are only here because Dave McGinnis drew a line in the sand and insisted those two be kept.

Michael Bidwill and Graves then backed off.

I think it's highly likely Dave McGinnis is on his way out the door because he's too loyal to his good ole' boys and won't make the tough decisions to fire friends.

I like Mac but his coaching staff seems to be very weak. That can be a killer.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Colvin might pull a Kendall and just come here for the $$$$, I would rather have a cheaper Blake then a gimp like Stewart on this team,

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. In fact they almost fired him when he balked at firing some assistants. Larry Marmie and Joe Greene are only here because Dave McGinnis drew a line in the sand and insisted those two be kept.

Michael Bidwill and Graves then backed off.

I think it's highly likely Dave McGinnis is on his way out the door because he's too loyal to his good ole' boys and won't make the tough decisions to fire friends.

I like Mac but his coaching staff seems to be very weak. That can be a killer.

How many years does Mac have left on his contract?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One. Un. Uno. (1)

Skkorp, I believe he signed a four year deal. Unless that interim year counted, he should have two left. I'll look for an article.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chopper0080
Agreed. I am still hoping that we can pick up Griese after watching him these past years in Denver (go to school in Colorado).

Griese is going to want as much as Cordell and will get it. My guess was it would take between 3.5 mil and 4 mil to get Stewart. We should have made a run at Delahomme as he went cheap and I think had as much upside as anyone. We are very much between a rock and a hard place. If we do not over pay we will not get anyone. Money is no good in the bank. Without a QB with experience we could easily go 3-13 next year and be forced to draft a QB with our #1. With no QB it becomes harder and harder to attract FA's here. this is like the valley of the undead. Graves is new to his job in contract responsibility and does not want to overpay which adds to our troubles. For the Cardinals what is over paying or to much? You just cannot compare us to other teams as it want work. We have liitle to attract players who want to win. I think it is a must to sign a FA QB even if you have to overpay him to give us any degree of credability at all. To start the season with McCown is absurd. The stadium would be empty by game three. Before it is over Jeff George is going to be all we have left. Even the Bengals have just signed two respectable Free Agents.

OP
OP
Skkorpion

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected

My mistake.

Lee Shappell on KDUS, 10 mns ago, had a different take than Jurecki.

Lee said he thought both Colvin and Stewart are seriously considering the Cards.

Kordell is just not getting a lot of interest and wants more time to fully explore his value. And Kordell will make a decision this week but not til after his Baltimore visit.

Colvin, on the other hand, knows he is the #1 FA left, and is trying to maximize his value. He is a true mercenary.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzWins23
TRW....You must be on drugs.....Coach Mac has done nothing but a good job here....Don't blame Mac, blame Bidwill for not puting players we need on the field!!! All last year we had nothing but injured players...So i don't want to hear that its his fault!!!

Give him a break!!

Mac or no other coach could win under this owner and the way we do business. mac did not do the Boston deal or any of the other bad deals o no deals. If you do not have the players you just are not going to win. Maybe Bidwill is changing the way he does business but it may be to dam late because from the outside looking in we look like it is business as usual.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave