Collinsworth's fascination with Ashawn Robinson

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't want to put this in another thread about guys you want or don't want and highjack the thread.

I already said I want a WR or an OL or CB. Drake London, same OL's you guys have, I actually don't think any of the CB's will be there that are good enough to take there.

On Jordan Davis, watching the game yesterday and listening to Collinsworth rave over and over about how good Ashawn Robinson is against the run, if he's in, don't run etc that's how I think Davis is eventually going to be. the difference is Robinson was a 2nd rounder, 46th pick, I'd be very surprised if Davis lasted into the 2nd round but if he does, I'd take him at our pick in a heartbeat. If the WR or OL isn't there I'd still take him at 23 because I think he's going to be better than Ashawn Robinson.

And yes I realize it's Donald not Robinson that makes their DL so good, but it's Robinson not Donald that keys their run defense. Interestingly the Rams guys were complaining about Robinson early in the year, he makes too much to only play 25% of the snaps etc they made a mistake signing him. Then as the season went on and teams started to realize how hard it is to throw against the Rams pass rush and started to run more, Ashawn Robinson became a huge part of their team because suddenly his run defense made a big difference.

So he's both an argument against Davis, and for Davis.

On Robinson the Rams signed him 2 years 17 million. He missed a bunch of games his first year there(FA from the Lions) because their routine physical found a cardiovascular issue they had to deal with, so he didn't play a ton his first year there but once he started playing their run defense instantly got better last year. This year they were still limiting him because of that condition and because with a new DC, Morris, they were rotating the DL more and he's in the run defense not the pass defense. Because they're a good team often in front, run defense played less this season.

Point being he's a FA but it's iffy how much interest he's going to get because of this unspecified cardiovascular condition. I've read the Rams want to keep him but I guess we'll see.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Robinson played 44% of the Rams' defensive snaps this season. He never appeared on their injury report.

Dumpster Dan Williams.
Alan Branch.

Really hard to justify high picks on guys who aren't playing 80% of your downs in the best circumstances.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robinson played 44% of the Rams' defensive snaps this season. He never appeared on their injury report.

Dumpster Dan Williams.
Alan Branch.

Really hard to justify high picks on guys who aren't playing 80% of your downs in the best circumstances.

Right he played all 17 games this year, last year he played only 8, he was on the non football injury list. nobody is really sure if cardiovascular condition means he was "out of shape" or if they detected something else like a heart situation or something but it seems unlikely he missed 8 games because he was winded.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Dumpster Dan Williams.
Alan Branch.

And played alongside Von Miller, Leonard Floyd, and…..

You guessed it.

Aaron Donald.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And played alongside Von Miller, Leonard Floyd, and…..

You guessed it.

Aaron Donald.

yep I clearly said I realize Donald makes that DL special not Robinson. But of those 4 only Donald and Robinson play the run very well.

It puts it into perspective how good that Rams starting DL is, Chandler Jones and Watt are the only guys on our roster who could break the top 8 in that rotation and Watt only played a few games for us.