Collins

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
What happened that Collins didn’t play more. Thought he was hof material from the jump. Was it injury or lack of performance? Didn’t see anything in the media after the game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's even more of a head scratcher as Hicks wasn't very good against the pass. The TEAM was very good, but every medium to long completion had Hicks loitering without intent. Unless something's wrong, I'd want ZC in on more plays than Hicks.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He played 22 snaps. I think maybe we just got carried away.

On the road against against a pre season super bowl contender I guess they thought they would lead with experience and 22 snaps isn't nothing. He got a nice little taster of the NFL.

I'm guessing at home vs the Vikings next week we will see much more of him.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He played 22 snaps. I think maybe we just got carried away.

On the road against against a pre season super bowl contender I guess they thought they would lead with experience and 22 snaps isn't nothing. He got a nice little taster of the NFL.

I'm guessing at home vs the Vikings next week we will see much more of him.
I mostly agree with this but think it will take until mid season before he gets a significant increase in playing time.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mostly agree with this but think it will take until mid season before he gets a significant increase in playing time.

We have some of our easier games coming up with the Vikings and Jags. It would make sense for them to take this opportunity to give him more time before we face the Rams and Niners.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Collins, probably if anything being a rook, has that magic green dot on his helmet and Hicks at this point probably is more adapt at calling the reactionary formations up front... I have no worries about him

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It isn't everything but it is something.

Keim selects Collins and says he is going to play right away. Kingsbury says he is going to start. Article saying Vance has had a lot of convos with Hicks. Team votes Hicks as a captain. Vance plays Hicks 95% of snaps vs Collins at 34% of snaps.

Dysfunction?

I don't think it's that deep. I think it was a tough road trip to start the year. The cards expected a tougher game and went with experience.

I'd like to see when those snaps were though because it seemed to me most of them came early when Henry was running a lot, and then late when the game was over and they were running a lot. Through Q2 and Q3 hardly saw him at all.

Was almost like they took him out when they went high pass rate which is odd as he's good in coverage.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't think it's that deep. I think it was a tough road trip to start the year. The cards expected a tougher game and went with experience.

I'd like to see when those snaps were though because it seemed to me most of them came early when Henry was running a lot, and then late when the game was over and they were running a lot. Through Q2 and Q3 hardly saw him at all.

Was almost like they took him out when they went high pass rate which is odd as he's good in coverage.
My issue is if you can't play your athletic rookie ILB who is better vs the pass in a blowout win vs a team who is having to pass the ball, when you going to play him?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
VJ called a perfect game. ASFN being ASFN
I think the point is, why waste 1st round draft picks on ILBs who the DC is not interested in playing as rookies? The position of ILB isn't terribly valuable in comparison to others and wasting a cost controlled year becomes much more concerning when we end up paying Kyler 40mil per year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My issue is if you can't play your athletic rookie ILB who is better vs the pass in a blowout win vs a team who is having to pass the ball, when you going to play him?

True. It was weird. I did see him playing more snaps at the end of the game. The odd part was how he vanished in the middle.

I wouldn't read too much into it yet. I expect more vs Vikings.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
True. It was weird. I did see him playing more snaps at the end of the game. The odd part was how he vanished in the middle.

I wouldn't read too much into it yet. I expect more vs Vikings.
We all know I like to make something out of nothing! I do promise not to make a thread about how Keim and Vance are in a power struggle and how this team made the same mistake as last year until at least week 6. :)

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have some of our easier games coming up with the Vikings and Jags. It would make sense for them to take this opportunity to give him more time before we face the Rams and Niners.
You make sense but I think VJ loves vets and is leary of playing rookies.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We all know I like to make something out of nothing! I do promise not to make a thread about how Keim and Vance are in a power struggle and how this team made the same mistake as last year until at least week 6. :)

Actually that's another point that has been overlooked.

Josh Jones had a good game yesterday, as did the whole O line. Kyler was making sandwiches in the backfield a lot of the time.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's even more of a head scratcher as Hicks wasn't very good against the pass. The TEAM was very good, but every medium to long completion had Hicks loitering without intent. Unless something's wrong, I'd want ZC in on more plays than Hicks.
Agree 100%!! Whenever TN did have a good play or good series, Hicks was always showing up late to the play. We cannot beat the teams in our division with Hicks playing as much as he did yesterday. He’s good depth & can be helpful in certain packages, but he played too much yesterday.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
VJ was traumatized in the opener last season when Mostert and the Niners burned Simmons for a very long TD on a very short pass.

He trusts Hicks more than Collins at this point. He also trusts or believes more in Wilson than Alford at this point.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the point is, why waste 1st round draft picks on ILBs who the DC is not interested in playing as rookies? The position of ILB isn't terribly valuable in comparison to others and wasting a cost controlled year becomes much more concerning when we end up paying Kyler 40mil per year.
Didn't we do this ad nauseam last year about Simmons and yesterday everyone loves that he was a world beater? They tried to trade him and didn't get any takers. Why not use the experience and let the rookie find his way?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
VJ was traumatized in the opener last season when Mostert and the Niners burned Simmons for a very long TD on a very short pass.

He trusts Hicks more than Collins at this point. He also trusts or believes more in Wilson than Alford at this point.

Looking at PFF grades it seems Collins struggled vs the pass and they took him out. He was great vs the run.

Which tallies with what I said above. He seemed to get most of his snaps when they were running. Vanished in the middle when they abandoned the run.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Keim selects Collins and says he is going to play right away. Kingsbury says he is going to start. Article saying Vance has had a lot of convos with Hicks. Team votes Hicks as a captain. Vance plays Hicks 95% of snaps vs Collins at 34% of snaps.

Dysfunction?
To say the least. I side with VJ here. While Keim and Kliff were gushing over Collins, VJ was like

You must be registered for see images attach

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Dysfunction?
Agreed. It’s why the announcement was so stupid.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Or he’s been billed as good in coverage but he’s still a rookie and learning and vj has seen something in practice that raises concern at this early stage until zaven gains more experience.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave