Colin Cowherd on the major difference from Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by SoonerLou, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Dan H

Dan H Registered User

"Seattle D and rushing attack carried their team early on. Wilson obviously came into a winning culture."

"The difference to me is Wilson was a touchdown maker. For some reason not a lot of TDs from Kyler. I also think Kyler needs to get use to playing at top speed."

Ehh, wrong.

Apples-apples comparison, here, Russell Wilson's first 7 games versus Kyler's first 7.

upload_2019-10-21_9-6-16.png

Nearly the same record, better passing for substantially more yards, fewer picks, better rushing, and more total TDs. Sacks are obviously a concern but over a third of those came in one game.

daves, SoonerLou, jf-08 and 6 others like this.
  2. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

And several of those were sacks created by Murray hanging onto the ball too long rather than throwing it away. Those can be reduced moving forward (one would hope).

Dan H likes this.
  3. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

I mean, if you're only looking at counting stats, I guess you're right. But Murray is scoring TDs on approximately 3% of his touches (rushes + attempts), and Wilson was finding the end zone at about a 30% faster clip (3.8%). Murray is throwing for 6.8 YPA and Russ was throwing for 7.0. Those efficiency numbers matter, because Murray is being asked to carry more of the load than Russ was.

Oh, and the other thing. The Cards have played 3 of the 10 worst teams in football. In 2012, Seattle played the fourth-hardest schedule in the NFL — in the first 6 games they defeated the 17th (DAL), 5th (GB), 13th (CAR), and 3rd (NE) best teams by DVOA.

Chopper0080 likes this.
  4. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

True but Wilson also played lots more in college than Murray. I know at this point that's irrelevant, Kyler is our QB so he has to sink or swim but I do think there are things that are just lack of PT with him.

One thing with him at least twice a game he'll go back and stand so flat footed you think the play was blown dead and you just didn't hear the whistle. It's a live ball and it hasn't been an issue yet but it's so strange to see a QB just standing there like he thinks the play is dead.

5. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

I don't really like the Murray–Wilson comparison. It's almost unavoidable, but to go game-by-game and stack them up really elides the fundamental difference of where they are as prospects and the systems they were in and what they were asked to do. People who are looking at counting stats are also crazy; for better or worse, Murray is being asked to do much more.

What I will say is that the way that Murray scrambles for those first downs must be as frustrating for opponents as it is for us when Russ does it.

Lagerfilled, GatorAZ and Russ Smith like this.
  6. SoonerLou

SoonerLou Registered

Edit: Crap I meant to post this in the Daniel Jones thread.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    daves, Redsz and CardsSunsDbacks like this.