Coin flip

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Try this one:

You must be registered for see images

Oh, and I love the fact that Rogers doesn't say a word until it came up heads. Had it come up tails he would have been happy with it.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It seems fitting in a season marred by the worst officiating ever, that a ref be incapable of flipping a fricking coin.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Try this one:

You must be registered for see images

Oh, and I love the fact that Rogers doesn't say a word until it came up heads. Had it come up tails he would have been happy with it.
TBF he knew it wasn't landing tails because he saw that it was heads up before the flip and then watched it not flip at all in the air. Apparently Rodgers was upset at the fact that the ref didn't allow him to recall the flip before he flipped it the 2nd time.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Who says it has to spin anyway? A coin toss is a coin coin toss, the red tossed it and that's that surely!! He could try that 100 times and not get it not to spin or flip when it hits the deck. Mind you you, who the hell cant flip a damn coin...

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who says it has to spin anyway? A coin toss is a coin coin toss, the red tossed it and that's that surely!! He could try that 100 times and not get it not to spin or flip when it hits the deck. Mind you you, who the hell cant flip a damn coin...

That's my bitch. Where in the rules does it say you can have a re-flip just because the coin didn't go end over end???? I'd be pissed right now if the re-flip went their way & we lost. If I were BA, I'd inquire into that bs. Only GB, NE, Pitt, and Dallas would be given a second coin flip.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
So, here's the thing...Is it a coin "flip" or a coin "toss"...If it's a flip, I can see that it should have to "flip"...if it's a toss, then flipping end over end shouldn't matter.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's my bitch. Where in the rules does it say you can have a re-flip just because the coin didn't go end over end???? I'd be pissed right now if the re-flip went their way & we lost. If I were BA, I'd inquire into that bs. Only GB, NE, Pitt, and Dallas would be given a second coin flip.
It should otherwise a ref could try to do this on purpose

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TBF he knew it wasn't landing tails because he saw that it was heads up before the flip and then watched it not flip at all in the air. Apparently Rodgers was upset at the fact that the ref didn't allow him to recall the flip before he flipped it the 2nd time.

If the coin would have bounced and turned over, he wouldn't have said a word or else he would have pointed it out BEFORE the official said "heads". However, it does exacerbate the ineptitude of the officials last night.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The same officials who can't call holding when players have arms around their necks or jerseys being pulled off their bodies.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Twitter feed is wrong. Article 2, Section 2 never mentions the word flip. It merely says "coin toss" with no further explanation. It never provides for a re-toss. I've been complaining all year that the officials don't know the rules.

I do think Rodgers felt they should keep tossing until the Packers won.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Twitter feed is wrong. Article 2, Section 2 never mentions the word flip. It merely says "coin toss" with no further explanation. It never provides for a re-toss. I've been complaining all year that the officials don't know the rules.

I do think Rodgers felt they should keep tossing until the Packers won.

Then I'm back to bitching that there was a re-toss. Didn't end up being an issue, but it's the principle of the matter.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I think the official made the right decision to flip/toss again. The intent of the rule is to provide a random result. If the coin doesn't actually flip, it would make the official look like he was trying to get a certain result.

As to why it didn't flip, I don't know, but that thing looks pretty big. It's probably a lot harder to flip a silver dollar than a dime.

English on tour

Reaction score
I think the official made the right decision to flip/toss again. The intent of the rule is to provide a random result. If the coin doesn't actually flip, it would make the official look like he was trying to get a certain result.

As to why it didn't flip, I don't know, but that thing looks pretty big. It's probably a lot harder to flip a silver dollar than a dime.
But it's still random as who knows what it's on to start, he can still call head or tails and it would still be dependant on a ref to toss a coin 6 feet in the air and get it to land without flipping once.

I should not have been re tossed.

This whole league saying it was done in fairness is just covering their asses and an easy out as it came back down the same.

The referees screwed it and at the same time could have screwed us even more than the dozen holding calls. Not sure why this still boils me pi$$. :talk:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Fairness is horse hockey. Can he say an attempted reception is a catch because the definition is vague and he thinks it would be fairer to call it a catch? If you want re-flips change the rule. They've been tossing coins for 60+ years and I've never heard of this happening. I'd say the odds are against it happening again. I'm also just saying you can't have officials making up rules in the interest of fairness.

English on tour

Reaction score
Fairness is horse hockey. Can he say an attempted reception is a catch because the definition is vague and he thinks it would be fairer to call it a catch? If you want re-flips change the rule. They've been tossing coins for 60+ years and I've never heard of this happening. I'd say the odds are against it happening again. I'm also just saying you can't have officials making up rules in the interest of fairness.
:yeahthat:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
The rules of the coin toss have never been clear.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a crazy night this didn't seem that crazy when it was all said and done. No I can say I've seen everything in a game. I mean really, only in the NFL can you screw up a coin flip.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The thing that still gets me is how the State Farm commercial boy is complaining that he should have been able to change his call and if he had he would have chosen heads. Sure Aaron, sure.