Coaching is a big problem and here is why

rweb

Rookie
Reaction score
In his last 5 games, Kyler Murray has been blitzed on 35% of his dropbacks. That number was 17% in his first 7 games...... our coach seems to have not figured this out ..... otherwise you would see a ton of slants and screen passes .... KK is like a deer in the headlights

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
In his last 5 games, Kyler Murray has been blitzed on 35% of his dropbacks. That number was 17% in his first 7 games...... our coach seems to have not figured this out ..... otherwise you would see a ton of slants and screen passes .... KK is like a deer in the headlights

Please God, not anymore screen passes or interceptions with guys occupying mid field in zone coverage ... we have to find protection long enough to threaten the deep side of the field so they back off

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strange - i thought the prevailing analysis of the offensive struggles over the last few games was that teams are actually blitzing LESS, and playing instead to contain Murray in the pocket rather than risk flushing him out of it. :shrug:

...dave

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Slants absolutely. Screen passes not so much.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Quick throws are to Kyler's advantage for sure, but the route trees don't seemingly create the separation to catch and make something happen IMO. The defender is either there, or it's batted down. I hate the argument that Kyler doesn't go through his progressions enough, but I'll be damned if I haven't seen him force the rock to a covered receiver when Nuk or Fitz (before he got hurt) are wide the heck open lately. I know I'm just a fan on the couch, but the progressions should be D-Hop first, then everyone else after that. The man is open, even when he's covered and can make up for an errant throw or two, no problem. And while I'm complaining, Andy has got to start snatching the ball. He's reactionary to a fault when he should be muscling the CB for catchable balls. Kupp and Woods put on clinics on how to out physical the defender for balls. Body placement is a huge part of it, but a majority has gotta be a fire to make every grab yours.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Now I'm not here to defend Kk but what you're describing is on K1 to get out of the play called, when he can see he's about to be blitzed. Should change the call and he needs his WRs to be on top of it as well. KK can't call a play based on being blitzed 35% of the time.

The6

All Star
Reaction score
1 he needs to run plays for km out if the pocket. He's not comfy there ,yet.

2 can't seem to run plays to get his number one reciever the ball

3 he's in over his head. To much responsibility at this level for this guy. IMO

4 I don't know what I'm talking about and in the coming years will be in running for coach of the year

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Putting KM under center, running 12 & 21 personnel with quite a bit of 11 mixed in is one way of changing the offense. It worked in 2019. Put Hopkins in motion, use the TE's, play some out of the pistol. Not just 10 personnel running only for the sticks. Be creative, some play action rollouts would be nice with some deep shots taken. Quick slants to Hopkins. Misdirection also. Our offense has become stagnet & easy to predict. It's time for KK to show us he can & will adapt just like 2019. Hell, even throw in a flea flicker lol.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Strange - i thought the prevailing analysis of the offensive struggles over the last few games was that teams are actually blitzing LESS, and playing instead to contain Murray in the pocket rather than risk flushing him out of it. :shrug:

...dave

I didn't think that was the case. I thought the D lines were mush rushing and keep edge in contain and blitzing up the middle.

He was sacked 10x the first 8 games. He's been sacked 10x in the last 4. Teams must be doing something to sack him if they aren't committing at edge.

Last edited:

KYCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
Putting KM under center, running 12 & 21 personnel with quite a bit of 11 mixed in is one way of changing the offense. It worked in 2019. Put Hopkins in motion, use the TE's, play some out of the pistol. Not just 10 personnel running only for the sticks. Be creative, some play action rollouts would be nice with some deep shots taken. Quick slants to Hopkins. Misdirection also. Our offense has become stagnet & easy to predict. It's time for KK to show us he can & will adapt just like 2019. Hell, even throw in a flea flicker lol.

KYCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
The key to combatting defensive mush rush is put Kyler under center, and utilize boots and waggles, misdirection is the key, there needs to be motion, off tackle runs off the stretch, and being under center, will keep defenses guessing instead of staring down Kyler from the snap, KK ought to be able to figure this stuff out, you have to get the defense moving one direction and attack backside and then take deep shots on occasion. KK is letting defense dictate to his offense, it’s got to be the other way around, power runs off tackle, boots and waggle, move the pockets, rely on DHop and Larry to make intermediate catches and play action deep to Kirk, KK needs to use sluggo routes to make safeties play deep, it really comes down to KK adjustment

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The central point is how poorly Kliff uses DeAndre Hopkins.
maybe

but Hop is top 10 in the NFL in yardage, and 100 yards away ( or, 8 yards a game) from leading the league. it cant be all that terrible

the failure is Kirk/Isabella/Fitz.

Kirk is next with 35 catches / 498 yards. with all the attention given Hopkins, Kirk should be cleaning up, but isnt. Maybe better said, when Kirk is productive, the Cards score points. When he isnt, its a struggle.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add additional crossing patterns with less no huddle and I’m 100% in agreement of everything you’ve stated.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think that was the case. I thought the D lines were mush rushing and keep edge in contain and blitzing up the middle.

He was sacked 10x the first 8 games. He's been sacked 10x in the last 4. Teams must be doing something to sack him if they aren't committing at edge.
Definitely mush rushes and coverages 10 yards within the LOS. I also think we have too many wr’s catching the ball while standing still hoping for yac.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The key to combatting defensive mush rush is put Kyler under center, and utilize boots and waggles, misdirection is the key, there needs to be motion, off tackle runs off the stretch, and being under center, will keep defenses guessing instead of staring down Kyler from the snap, KK ought to be able to figure this stuff out, you have to get the defense moving one direction and attack backside and then take deep shots on occasion. KK is letting defense dictate to his offense, it’s got to be the other way around, power runs off tackle, boots and waggle, move the pockets, rely on DHop and Larry to make intermediate catches and play action deep to Kirk, KK needs to use sluggo routes to make safeties play deep, it really comes down to KK adjustment
Well said. I ran the sluggo route quite a bit in my alumni football game the last few years. I love that route. Much Harder getting hit being 50 years old now though but I always hang with the youngins lol. I truly believe he needs to put Hopkins in motion. Hopefully we see a different offense tomorrow? I live in Louisville, do you live in Lexington?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely mush rushes and coverages 10 yards within the LOS. I also think we have too many wr’s catching the ball while standing still hoping for yac.

Way, way, way too many of our WR routes end with a throw to a static WR or running an out route off the field.

We throw so little to WR's in stride to enable them to get YAC. It's very noticeable compared to other teams.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA