Clippers @ Suns Wednesday game thread 2-26-20

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
It was at the very end, when the Suns were looking for a miracle. It was right after a timeout, but I couldn't tell whether it was a set play. Top of the circle, not particularly close to going in, but the form looked fine.
I thought I remembered it going in and out.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought I remembered it going in and out.

It hit the front iron and then the backboard. His first 3 point attempt, at the 1st half buzzer a few games back, that one was in and out. "Heartbreak Hotel" as Al would call it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would expect that you're aware of players previously having problems following the forced pace of the
All Star 3-point contest in the past.

Cool the "self-fulfilling prophecy" crap, Cheese. I didn't make anything up.

Motivated by EJ's comment about it, followed by Book turning cold (as I posted), I shared the possibility.

Since when are we afraid to share (especially when quoting) possibilities? If you don't want to consider it, fine.
But the problem with your hypothesis is that his cool streak started well before the break.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would expect that you're aware of players previously having problems following the forced pace of the
All Star 3-point contest in the past.

Cool the "self-fulfilling prophecy" crap, Cheese. I didn't make anything up.

Motivated by EJ's comment about it, followed by Book turning cold (as I posted), I shared the possibility.

Since when are we afraid to share (especially when quoting) possibilities? If you don't want to consider it, fine.

This isn't something you're just now sharing as if you heard EJ mention it. You pushed the idea that players participating in the 3pt contest regularly fall off in the 2nd half of the season, after their participation, well before yesterdays game and EJ's comment.

Your post from February 15th...
There have been players whose 2nd halves of the season have been screwed up
by participating in the 3-point contest.

I would have been just as happy if Devin gave all of his attention this weekend
to the All Star game.

I wonder if the league made it conditional, because the player he's replacing
was to be in both. If so, it's all or nothing? We'll never know.

I asked for examples when you made that claim initially and you never provided any. I doubt you'll provide any evidence now other than repeating EJ's comment, which was made as a throwaway remark in the 4th game after the All-Star break and after you started pushing this theory.

Like others have stated, Booker's slump started before the break so blaming the 3pt contest for any sort of fatigue isn't accurate because his efficiency was down before he was ever named as a participant.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
again, BOOK TURNED COLD BEFORE THE ALL-STAR BREAK. And then he was 7-14 from 3 in his previous two games before last night. Both of those things counter the above self-fulfilling prophecy stuff you're spouting.

you did here by omitting Book's below average shooting prior to the break and two very good games shooting the 3 after it.

and then ignored all other relative data and brought it up in ONE game where he shot like absolute crap post-break.

I don't know why "you're afraid to share" anything, but when you share something that ignores facts and reason, you should also be prepared for people to counter against your argument... or lack thereof.

You're overlooking that I posted Eddie Johnson's comment about the effects of the All Star 3-point shooting contest on
Devin's game. A situation that I've heard other experts refer to over the years.

And I've noticed that Devin's 3-point accuracy with games on the line has diminished. Certainly reflecting the poor makeup
of the rest of the roster and the steady double-teaming Book has been facing.

"Argument"? "Self-fulfilling prophesy"? Those are fighting words. 'Sorry, pal. I'm not here to fight. I'm here to share opinions.

And I'm done sharing this one with you. ;)

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Booker just like every other NBA star is gonna have good and bad nights, it is what it is. Ayton has made much more progress this year than i ever expected.

Bottom line, until we get a MONSTER Power Forward and a backup PG that can compete with Rubio for playtime this is the way its gonna be.

Oubre is likely out for the season, give those min to Bridges and his light blue hospital scrub shoes he needs playtime to develop.(i think hes worth it)

Purge our bench of projects and hopefuls and get some LEGIT role players.

Im not ready to give up on Jones and Monty yet, but what they bring to the table next year will be telling.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over the last ten games Devin Booker has only been shooting 37.9% from the field and only 32.3% from 3 point range so it's not just an All-Star effect.

Actually he has had issues from 3 point range much of the season. I took this from a Forbes article dated January 9th, 2020.

Booker shot just 28 percent from deep in December but his efficiency barely fell. As defenses played him more aggressively on the perimeter and Booker realized his rhythm wasn’t there, he worked inside.

“A lot of people are talking about the mid-range game and just taking the shot that the other team tries to force,” Booker said. “I’m just trying to take what the defense gives me, and if that’s a mid-range jumper, which analytically what people say isn’t the highest-percentage shot, but I think for myself it’s a good one.”

The Suns’ star is, of course, aware his three-point shot has been a little worse lately. He also rightly points out that such a slump isn’t going to alter the defensive game plan on him too much.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendo...ers-devin-booker-scoring-streak/#267d25952417

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
That's silly. Go read all the other NBA forums and you'll see just as much referee blaming from all but maybe one or two teams. There is no NBA agenda to screw over Phoenix but like some other bad teams, we have more justification for complaining than most. But there isn't a team out there with stripe happy fans. The quality of NBA refereeing has been horrible the past few years and it's human nature to be more cognizant of the calls that go against your team. There's nothing "out of control" about it.

It is out of control when every officiating post sounds like that’s the difference between a win and a loss.
And every team has to deal with crap officials and every teams fans think they are more justified than the next.
I just hate constant officiating whining when it’s the same across the board.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is out of control when every officiating post sounds like that’s the difference between a win and a loss.
And every team has to deal with crap officials and every teams fans think they are more justified than the next.
I just hate constant officiating whining when it’s the same across the board.

It isn't the same across the board, not even close. Some teams are more protected than others, some players are more protected than others. Yes, refereeing the past few years has been horrible for every team but it's worse for some than others. If you were a fan of one of the "others" you'd understand this. I watch a lot of Lakers games and they simply do not get called the same way that Atlanta does, not even close. The Lakers get screwed occasionally too, like I said, all teams do, but some get it worse.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Over the last ten games Devin Booker has only been shooting 37.9% from the field and only 32.3% from 3 point range so it's not just an All-Star effect.

Actually he has had issues from 3 point range much of the season. I took this from a Forbes article dated January 9th, 2020.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendo...ers-devin-booker-scoring-streak/#267d25952417

Booker seems to be worse now from mid-range as well, i didn't check numbers but thats what it seems like to me. He gets to the free throw area and has wide open looks, but too often over dribbles looking for a foul. This only leads to bad passes because defenders have time to recover back to their man as he over dribbles.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker seems to be worse now from mid-range as well, i didn't check numbers but thats what it seems like to me. He gets to the free throw area and has wide open looks, but too often over dribbles looking for a foul. This only leads to bad passes because defenders have time to recover back to their man as he over dribbles.

I checked Booker's recent stats over the last ten games. They are 40.3% from the field and 34.8% from 3 point range. Although they vary a bit in short stretches, his career stats seem to be about the same or better.

More worrisome to me is his PER has dropped to 19.81. His turnovers also seem to be up.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3136193/devin-booker

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see effort from Booker but I see no passion or joy from him. It seemed to start the day they first announced the All Star team (without him) but it's really been obvious since the helicopter crash.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see effort from Booker but I see no passion and no joy from him. It seemed to start the day they first announced the All Star team (without him) but it's really been obvious since the helicopter crash.

Maybe all the seasons of losing are catching up with Booker. He wanted this season to be fun as the Suns competed for a playoff spot. However, it hasn't happened that way and the death of Kobe and not getting the All-Star selection first time around only made it worse. Also I think the loss of Oubre (who helped energize the team) didn't help either. I'm guessing Booker is growing tired of trying to carry the team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe all the seasons of losing are catching up with Booker. He wanted this season to be fun as the Suns competed for a playoff spot. However, it hasn't happened that way and the death of Kobe and not getting the All-Star selection first time around only made it worse. Also I think the loss of Oubre (who helped energize the team) didn't help either. I'm guessing Booker is growing tired of trying to carry the team.

Yeah, I think something along the same lines.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

if all of the above is true, it's pathetic on Booker's part. THEY ARE ACTUALLY IN THE HUNT THIS YEAR FOR THE 8TH SPOT AND IN THAT MOMENT, HE'S PLAYED HIS WORST BASKETBALL OF THE SEASON.

Booker wasn't the only person close to Kobe. Giving him that excuse seems ridiculous to me. Same as the All-Star "snub" which just wasn't.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if all of the above is true, it's pathetic on Booker's part. THEY ARE ACTUALLY IN THE HUNT THIS YEAR FOR THE 8TH SPOT AND IN THAT MOMENT, HE'S PLAYED HIS WORST BASKETBALL OF THE SEASON.

Booker wasn't the only person close to Kobe. Giving him that excuse seems ridiculous to me. Same as the All-Star "snub" which just wasn't.

It's hard to get into another person's head or know the strain on their body.

The linked article does a good job of trying to explain it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/devin-booker-appears-simply-worn-out/ar-BB10E9ey

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to get into another person's head or know the strain on their body.

The linked article does a good job of trying to explain it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/devin-booker-appears-simply-worn-out/ar-BB10E9ey

he's 23 freaking years old. If he's wearing down... having never even played a playoff game and after taking last summer OFF instead of trying to qualify for the Olympics AND in a season where the team was ACTUALLY IN PLAYOFF CONTENTION, then I don't know what to tell you.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Without knowing how long it will take, that sure sounds like the beginning of the end.

And if Book makes it known he wants to play for a contender, how will that affect
Deandre's game? We know that his mentality has to be at 100% consistently for
him to become a difference maker.

I don't want to sound like the sky is falling but, hey, it's been falling for a decade.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Apparently Booker book’ed it after the game before media availability. I normally don’t care about post game comments but you have to face the music after a game like that especially if you’re the face of the franchise. I think he’s checked out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently Booker book’ed it after the game before media availability. I normally don’t care about post game comments but you have to face the music after a game like that especially if you’re the face of the franchise. I think he’s checked out.

As I understand it, Rubio didn't stay for the media after the game either.

Much respect for Bridges answering the tough questions.

It's not just the players that need to be accountable but the front office as well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he's 23 freaking years old. If he's wearing down... having never even played a playoff game and after taking last summer OFF instead of trying to qualify for the Olympics AND in a season where the team was ACTUALLY IN PLAYOFF CONTENTION, then I don't know what to tell you.
I think it’s a culture problem. Booker has played for a franchise that has tanked the 4 previous seasons. A defeatist attitude is hard to shake.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose