Clippers @ Suns Thursday game thread 1-6-2022

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Smith's PER on the season is up to 21.8 due to this run. That's the same as Clint Capella in Atlanta and would be #30 in the NBA.
Suns Centers PER

Biyombo--27.4
Ayton--22.5
McGee--25.4
Smith--22.1
Kaminski--22.3

It's a system thing. It's a CP3 thing. Do you think teams will take this into account before offering Stix stupid money this summer.

BTW, has anyone noticed how many Jalen's or Jaylen's there are in this league? I stopped counting at 10.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns Centers PER

Biyombo--27.4
Ayton--22.5
McGee--25.4
Smith--22.1
Kaminski--22.3

It's a system thing. It's a CP3 thing. Do you think teams will take this into account before offering Stix stupid money this summer. James Jones is a mercenary. All he will be looking at this summer is what kind of production he can get out of a 3rd string center or pf for what cost and how will that player fit within the team concept on the court and in the locker room. Draft position will not matter, fan sentiment will not matter, media criticism will not matter.

BTW, has anyone noticed how many Jalen's or Jaylen's there are in this league? I stopped counting at 10.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Suns ability to just consistently do a 14-2 scoring run predicated by defense is so Spurs like...
Agreed. There’s ebbs and flows but we also seem to come up with a key 3 or Paul midrange whenever a team cuts things to 6. Very spurs like.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Am I the only guy that is fine with Wainwright?
I don’t see what he brings to the table. He’s not a big, he’s not a ball handler, he’s not a shooter. I think GS has created a high bar (maybe inappropriately high) for expectations for finding effective end of bench players.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t see what he brings to the table. He’s not a big, he’s not a ball handler, he’s not a shooter. I think GS has created a high bar (maybe inappropriately high) for expectations for finding effective end of bench players.
I mostly like his intensity and his physicality. Having someone that fits the personality of the team and can come in and deliver a couple of hard fouls when necessary seems perfect to me for an end of the bench kind of guy. If we find a player that can give us much more than that, he's probably not going to want to spend almost every minute of every game watching from the sidelines.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Going to get PAID
Yup. I don’t think there’s any way to retain him. We can keep saying small sample size, but it’s now growing literally any time he gets a chance.

I’m still skeptical whether he can play alongside Ayton or mcgee. That will be the true determinant of how many minutes he gets when we are back to full strength. Because he’s not likely playing over them. And during this great stretch it’s been primarily as our center.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I’m still skeptical whether he can play alongside Ayton or mcgee. That will be the true determinant of how many minutes he gets when we are back to full strength. Because he’s not likely playing over them. And during this great stretch it’s been primarily as our center.

You very well might have described why James Jones didn't pick up the option.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes! Just play bigs like the All Stars do. No one is a center or PF. They just play as a big. It's all mental anyway if you are a four or five on the floor. If you can play, who cares what position you are supposedly playing?
The key is the second big has to be able to hit the three to allow for spacing needed for Paul and bookers pick and roll and midrange games. That’s the key. If stix can consistently can the 3 and D up smaller players he can play alongside Ayton and mcgee. If not then he is still stuck behind them. We really only play one “big” at a time due to 3 point shooting and defensive limitations of our second bigs.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Still should have picked it up. If nothing else it would increase his trade value for the rest of this season and during the offseason.
Probably should have but it’s water under the bridge now. Just speculating why it was done at the time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Probably should have but it’s water under the bridge now. Just speculating why it was done at the time.
It is kinda rare for a player to just turn the corner this quickly. Usually, there are more detectible stages.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The key is the second big has to be able to hit the three to allow for spacing needed for Paul and bookers pick and roll and midrange games. That’s the key. If stix can consistently can the 3 and D up smaller players he can play alongside Ayton and mcgee. If not then he is still stuck behind them. We really only play one “big” at a time due to 3 point shooting and defensive limitations of our second bigs.
They have Ayton working on the three too. Neither guy is going to be a Jokavic. If that's what they want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson