Clippers @ Suns Sunday WCF game thread 6-20-2021 - Game 1

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
eh... that Clips team is pretty young. I’d be surprised if they wore down all that much over the course of a long series.
Huh?

George
Morris
Batum
Jackson
Beverley
Rondo
Cousins
Patterson

all over 30 with cousins the only one even at 30. They’re not geriatrics but they’re at an age where three consecutive long series in a compressed season with no rest between games can definitely have an impact on their legs.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
yup. Our defense is going to win or lose this series for us.

man... I was getting a TINY bit bored with the destruction parade we’ve been on. This series, especially early if Paul isn’t available, is gonna be hair-raising. Lots of athletes, lots of wings, good defenders. And lots of attitude. These two teams DO NOT like each other.

I truly believe our offense will set the tone. If we can crack the code and generate good consistent looks, that will really help our defense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
One big positive is that we likely have the only big physical mismatch - Ayton. This won’t be a series where we are trying to cover bigger players with our wings who get punished in the post. If anything, for once, we have that opportunity with Ayton if he’s aggressive and we get him the ball. This series will be lots of wings and lots of athleticism and movement. Defense will definitely be key. They’re going to be physical with us. We need to keep up our physicality that we’ve had in the first two rounds. Refs have been letting us play. Continue to take advantage of that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh?

George
Morris
Batum
Jackson
Beverley
Rondo
Cousins
Patterson

all over 30 with cousins the only one even at 30. They’re not geriatrics but they’re at an age where three consecutive long series in a compressed season with no rest between games can definitely have an impact on their legs.

huh... I am mistaken. I’m hoping more than anything George wears down as he has carried a massive load all playoffs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I truly believe our offense will set the tone. If we can crack the code and generate good consistent looks, that will really help our defense.

I just think that’s gonna be real tough to do on offense until CP3 gets back.

our shooters need to be shooting in this series.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just think that’s gonna be real tough to do on offense until CP3 gets back.

our shooters need to be shooting in this series.
I think we see a lot of hard closeouts. Bridges and cam need to be ready to immediately attack the rim. They won’t be facing much in the way of shot blocking.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just re-watched the 2nd half of Jazz-Clippers Game 6. Mitchell was a literal traffic cone. Just about every single leak on defense originated with him getting beat off the dribble or off a secondary action.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. This is a team built to stymie and frustration Booker. Without the Paul counter monty will have to gameplan the hell outta the offense and the players will have to execute almost to perfection. I see a lot of bad late passes coming from Booker outta double teams until Paul returns.

Yep. Having a legit backcourt threat out there with you is essential. I think CP would have almost as much trouble against this team if Booker was the one in Covid protocol. He just wouldn't turn the ball over like Devin is almost sure to. I can live with a lot of Booker's shortcomings, his strengths so greatly outweigh them, but his propensity to turn the ball over under aggressive pressure is a real problem.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol who cares

that metric assumes full health and Kawhi is out

we are up to -5; guessing good news re: Paul coming soon

What makes you say that? I don't really know how it's generated, I'm just curious about your reasoning.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a Jazz perspective.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What makes you say that? I don't really know how it's generated, I'm just curious about your reasoning.

BPI accounts for game-by-game efficiency, strength of schedule, pace, days of rest, game location and preseason expectations.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Actually, there was a Morris in every series. Monte Morris for Denver. So, apparently, there's a one Morris max rule per series. I'm good with that. Any Morrises in the East?

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
If Paul misses a game, Suns in 6. If not, Suns in 5.

There's a reason the Clippers shot such a high percentage from three last night. They were wide open! The Suns aren't going to allow that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, there was a Morris in every series. Monte Morris for Denver. So, apparently, there's a one Morris max rule per series. I'm good with that. Any Morrises in the East?

I think Morris Peterson retired several years ago so we only have to worry about the Western Morri.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man... the Jazz could have really done us a favor by simply holding on to a 25 point lead.

All time epic choke in a playoff elimination game. I can't think of a worse example. Id be interested if anyone can think of one. Feel bad for their fans.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to re-post these tweets to the game thread.

[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose