Clippers @ Suns Sunday WCF game thread 6-20-2021 - Game 1

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One has to wonder why the NBA insists on this every other day schedule in the Western Conference Finals.

The Olympics?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m still wondering why people are saying it’s probable someone who just got into the Covid protocol on Wednesday only misses one game in a series that starts Sunday.

Because he's vaccinated and all reports mention he had entered the protocol prior to it being announced, with some reports stating he entered it Monday. If he entered it Monday then being in 7 days brings him back for practice on Monday and game 2 on Tuesday.

That's why everyone was asking when he failed his first test because that's what starts the clock.

I'm not saying its guaranteed he'll only be out that long but that has been the consensus best case scenario discussed by local media, 7 days out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We own Staples too. We play really good in LA

we got beat up pretty good with CP3 the only time we played the Clippers there this season.

it’s all about CP3. If he only misses a game, I think we’ll gut it out in 6. Maybe 7. If he misses TWO games, I still think we have a shot but it def goes to 7. But the series hinges on him and we have no clue when he’s going to be back.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because he's vaccinated and all reports mention he had entered the protocol prior to it being announced, with some reports stating he entered it Monday. If he entered it Monday then being in 7 days brings him back for practice on Monday and game 2 on Tuesday.

That's why everyone was asking when he failed his first test because that's what starts the clock.

I'm not saying its guaranteed he'll only be out that long but that has been the consensus best case scenario discussed by local media, 7 days out.

i just don’t know where people are getting 7 days out. We’ve been in Covid for over a year and It’s consistently been at least ten days before Covid guys come back. I can’t remember ANYONE coming back in 7.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
i just don’t know where people are getting 7 days out. We’ve been in Covid for over a year and It’s consistently been at least ten days before Covid guys come back. I can’t remember ANYONE coming back in 7.

Most experiences and data are from people without vaccinations. Those with vaccinations are a relative unknown.

It all depends on a) when he actually went into protocol and more importantly b) how well the antibodies react

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m still wondering why people are saying it’s probable someone who just got into the Covid protocol on Wednesday only misses one game in a series that starts Sunday.

That’s how the market appears to be pricing it. That’s easily a better measure than your or my slightly educated guess.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
we got beat up pretty good with CP3 the only time we played the Clippers there this season.

it’s all about CP3. If he only misses a game, I think we’ll gut it out in 6. Maybe 7. If he misses TWO games, I still think we have a shot but it def goes to 7. But the series hinges on him and we have no clue when he’s going to be back.

Kawhi played that game tho.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
If the “rumors” are true that CP3 entered the protocol on Monday, it’s not entirely unrealistic to think he could play in Tuesday’s game 2.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the “rumors” are true that CP3 entered the protocol on Monday, it’s not entirely unrealistic to think he could play in Tuesday’s game 2.

that would be... 8 days. When all previous Covid cases put guys out 10 days. And he was put in the protocol... and no one knew? And that it came out two days later? Because that’s happened before?

feels like people are just making ish up to try and make themselves feel better. I’m assuming he’s out until Game 3 and if he comes back earlier... bonus! If we split Game 1 and 2 without him, I’ll be stoked if he comes back for Game 3.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Has there been cases of other players who were fully vaccinated testing positive? I haven't heard of any. I'm not sure where the 7 days thing started but I've heard it mentioned by media members enough that I believe its based on the relaxed health and safety protocols the league announced in March.

I've seen a lot of mention of how they were relaxing the rules but not a lot about specific examples beyond players being allowed a little more freedom on the road. I'd like to see what rules were changed specifically and how.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Got some game 1 tix so I’ve been tracking this Clips Jazz series with great interest.

on a selfish level, I love the Sunday at 12:30 start. On a Suns level, I woulda preferred Jazz won in 7…. Idk what it is about the clips but they scare me

In terms of CP3, the NBA has different protocols for vaccinated players vs non vaccinated. Not sure of the differences but the league said they exist…. Anyone with details on that other than Cheese crying for Chris Paul to be cancelled?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Suns in 7 and CP3 misses two games. Nothing against Monty but Paul is the coach on the court and he won’t be around the team let alone playing. I am glad we’re getting them right off an emotional win and biggest win in their franchises history.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
that would be... 8 days. When all previous Covid cases put guys out 10 days. And he was put in the protocol... and no one knew? And that it came out two days later? Because that’s happened before?

feels like people are just making ish up to try and make themselves feel better. I’m assuming he’s out until Game 3 and if he comes back earlier... bonus! If we split Game 1 and 2 without him, I’ll be stoked if he comes back for Game 3.
Cheese, Paul is fully vaxxed and a-sympto. All I’m saying is that I wouldn’t be surprised if he played in Game 2.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Has there been cases of other players who were fully vaccinated testing positive? I haven't heard of any. I'm not sure where the 7 days thing started but I've heard it mentioned by media members enough that I believe its based on the relaxed health and safety protocols the league announced in March.

I've seen a lot of mention of how they were relaxing the rules but not a lot about specific examples beyond players being allowed a little more freedom on the road. I'd like to see what rules were changed specifically and how.
There was a coach who got it while vaccinated and missed 6 games. Not sure what the number of days was. Probably around 10 or so.

Only thing I can say to that is that a) it was a coach and not a player and b) I don’t know if there are any advantages today vs then other than this is the playoffs and not a coach during the regular season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
7 days I thought. Plus I thought his test was Monday which started the timeline.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They switched it to 7 days a few months ago.

this is a quote from the CDC website.

• After day 10 without testing
  • After day 7 after receiving a negative test result (test must occur on day 5 or later)
This is probably why they were waiting to say anything until Saturday. If he tested positive on Monday, he would have taken another test today. If that comes back negative, he would be eligible to play on Monday. Seems a bit arbitrary. If you test negative, you test negative. But I don’t make the rules.

Last edited:

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Keys against LAC:
- Don't let them get away with playing 5 out. Ayton's gotta make them pay and force them to play more Zubac. Otherwise he's going to have to guard someone on the perimeter (most likely Morris) and that will neutralize his defense. Offensive rebounds and hard rolls to the rim for lobs pleaseandthankyou
- Force the pace and pressure. CP3 is out so I think Phoenix will naturally play faster but LAC just played a tough 6 game series off of a tough 7 game series. They are down one star and played essentially 6 guys tonight (7th man in Luke Kennard played only 9 mins)
- Take care of the ball. A lot of ball hawks on that team, starting with PG13 and Pat beverly. But Reggie Jackson and Batum will get their hands in there and muck it up as well. If they get going with easy transition points it's going to be bad news.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They switched it to 7 days a few months ago.

this is a quote from the CDC website.

• After day 10 without testing
  • After day 7 after receiving a negative test result (test must occur on day 5 or later)
This is probably why they were waiting to say anything until Saturday. If he tested positive on Monday, he would have taken another test today. If that comes back negative, he would be eligible to play on Monday. Seems a bit arbitrary. If you test negative, you test negative. But I don’t make the rules.

I don’t think those are the rules for someone who’s tested positive. i think the above are the rules for the scenario where you come in close contact with a positive Covid carrier. 7 days with a negative test and you’re in the clear or you just wait out the entire ten day quarantine without a test, but that doesn’t have anything to do with if you’re positive, which CP3 reportedly is.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got some game 1 tix so I’ve been tracking this Clips Jazz series with great interest.

on a selfish level, I love the Sunday at 12:30 start. On a Suns level, I woulda preferred Jazz won in 7…. Idk what it is about the clips but they scare me

In terms of CP3, the NBA has different protocols for vaccinated players vs non vaccinated. Not sure of the differences but the league said they exist…. Anyone with details on that other than Cheese crying for Chris Paul to be cancelled?

Lol... uh... I want CP3 canceled? What planet are you living and are the drugs there free for everyone?

Also, in the other thread, you slam me as crying and whining for asking if anyone had actual info from the league on the differences between vaxxed Covid protocols and unvaxxed... but literally just asked the same thing?

Seriously... puff, puff pass this way!

Last edited: