Clippers @ Suns Monday WCF game thread 6-28-2021 - Game 5

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
this is why Booker playing tough guy to Jokic and taunting the Lakers was stupid. That's 5 Ts in 14 games. The leader of our team has to be smarter than that.
100%!!! By far the most glaring weakness of Book, and therefore his biggest negative impact on this team, is his continued inability to remain poised, demonstrate maturity and not get baited into so many T’s.
I hope one day SOON, he will learn this and accept how detrimental to the team’s success, his actions are…

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The think this is a 10 to 15 point game. Two things. I don’t expect the Clippers to continue to miss threes. They were one of the best all season long. If they get hot and our guard shooting continues to be poor? They could get a win. Having said that, I don’t expect another game where CP3 or Booker doesn’t go off. They can’t cover both Book and CP3 at the same time.
But they can take away their bread and butter shots, which they’ve done. It means something else has to be open. Monty just hasn’t figured what that is yet. Hopefully he does for this game.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
But they can take away their bread and butter shots, which they’ve done. It means something else has to be open. Monty just hasn’t figured what that is yet. Hopefully he does for this game.

I think they are giving Suns three-point shots. Suns' problem is that Crowder, Bridges, and others are not hitting them. I am not sure how to verify or quantify this, but it seems to me that the Clippers have basically decided to fall back three or four feet back and take away mid-range jumpers for Paul, Booker, and to a lesser degree Bridges.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think they are giving Suns three-point shots. Suns' problem is that Crowder, Bridges, and others are not hitting them. I am not sure how to verify or quantify this, but it seems to me that the Clippers have basically decided to fall back three or four feet back and take away mid-range jumpers for Paul, Booker, and to a lesser degree Bridges.
Yes and no, our three point attempts overall are way down. Bridges did not take a single one last night - I can’t recall the last time that happened.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and no, our three point attempts overall are way down. Bridges did not take a single one last night - I can’t recall the last time that happened.

I think Cam only took 1 too. We’re getting more three point heaves from Book and CP3 with the shot clock running down and not nearly enough open corner shots for Bridges/Cam.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Need to do a fan version of this over Suns playoff highlights. :D

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Who in the world is airbourne to have that many people at their concert? Never heard of them.

Edit: ok I have heard of them with their song Runnin wild.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the Suns injury report.

Devin Booker is AVAILABLE.

Abdel Nader is PROBABLE.

Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson

Kawhi Leonard (right knee sprain) remains out for the Clippers.

No new additions on the Suns' injury report. Cam Payne is no longer on there, Devin Booker (nasal fracture) is listed as available again and Abdel Nader (right knee rehab) is probable.

5:34 PM · Jun 27, 2021·TweetDeck

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope so. These close games are stressing me out.

You have company. Game day brings a whole new level of stress for me.

I don't recall being this stressed for previous Suns playoff games or maybe it's because it's been too long to remember how it feels in years past.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think they can. CP3 the last couple games had really good looks because Bev was all over Booker. When one of them is on the floor yes but both? That’s going to be more difficult. Not impossible but now difficult.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm a little slow, but it just dawned on me why Ayton is better for the Suns than someone like Jucoc or Embiid and that is
he is so much more mobile & athletic that he is setting screens beyond the 3-point arc. That means he is fast and agile enough to get to
the rim after the screen. Those other guys would have to set that screen about 3-4 feet closer.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Abdel Nader on his return to Suns.

By Arizona Sports:

“It was a dream come true. I’m extremely grateful for the training staff for getting me right,” Nader said via Zoom. “The coaching staff for trusting me and believing in me just to throw me in there on my first day back, so extremely blessed and grateful.”

--------------------------------------------------

“I just bring my versatility, whether that’s locking up somebody on the defensive end,” Nader said. “Guarding one of their better perimeter players, or their fours. Or me just coming in making shots and attacking the rim.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/2706626/suns-abdel-nader-sees-game-action-after-knee-surgery/

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have company. Game day brings a whole new level of stress for me.

I don't recall being this stressed for previous Suns playoff games or maybe it's because it's been too long to remember how it feels in years past.

i think it’s subconsciously because you know we’re going to win it and the anticipation is killing you. At least that’s what’s going on with me. I was never this confident with any Suns team except 1993.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t think they can. CP3 the last couple games had really good looks because Bev was all over Booker. When one of them is on the floor yes but both? That’s going to be more difficult. Not impossible but now difficult.
Watch again. Paul was slightly further out and shooting them over a closer than normal zubac or ended up picking up his dribble with zubac over him. These were not the same shots as the nuggets game. Do I think he hits more of them with a little more rust knocked off? Yes. But these haven’t been his bread and butter.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think it’s subconsciously because you know we’re going to win it and the anticipation is killing you. At least that’s what’s going on with me. I was never this confident with any Suns team except 1993.

I wish I were this confident. For me, as each round and game progresses the hope and anxiety rises.

The Suns were not supposed to get past the Lakers, then came the Nuggets and here they are in the Western Conference Finals. Now if the Suns can win the series against the Clippers they go to the Finals.

It's like living a dream and I don't want to wake up.

Imagine if the Suns can win a championship with the little team that could.

It would be beyond my wildest expectations except in the recesses of my mind... something that's hard to verbalize for fear I will wake up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I were this confident. For me, as each round and game progresses the hope and anxiety rises.

The Suns were not supposed to get past the Lakers, then came the Nuggets and here they are in the Western Conference Finals. Now if the Suns can win the series against the Clippers they go to the Finals.

It's like living a dream and I don't want to wake up.

Imagine if the Suns can win a championship with the little team that could.

It would be beyond my wildest expectations except in the recesses of my mind... something that's hard to verbalize for fear I will wake up.

we’re winning this thing.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watch again. Paul was slightly further out and shooting them over a closer than normal zubac or ended up picking up his dribble with zubac over him. These were not the same shots as the nuggets game. Do I think he hits more of them with a little more rust knocked off? Yes. But these haven’t been his bread and butter.
I think I said earlier I rewatched the games. Paul had some really good looks. Yea they did reduce the number of shots around the paint but they struggled to keep both Paul and Booker out when they were in together. Book and Paul were able to get to the spot but missed a bunch of open shots. A big factor was that neither could hit a three. The defenders were sagging down because none were falling. If those shots fall they have to run up to the three point line.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last game we stood up to the bully. Now its time to bully the bully.
I expect a high scoring game with the Clippers struggling to keep up the entire time.
Now that the Clippers know we can go tit for tat on D. They will resort to bombing away from deep like they always do.
Too little too late.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This will be a game where home court will prove itself very beneficial. The fans will be wild. Its the first chance this postseason we've had a chance to close out a series on our home floor and of course closing this one out means a trip to the finals. The fans will be raucous.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who in the world is airbourne to have that many people at their concert? Never heard of them.

Edit: ok I have heard of them with their song Runnin wild.

They're big in Australia.