Clippers @ Suns 1-4-19

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You mean the hitch in that video where he made something like 7 straight shots? I saw that video and the internet Suns fans freak out about it back in June I believe. And here is what Scott Bordow said about it several days later:
Yes he made the shots in practice but isn’t making them at a good clip in games. Even Josh Jackson drains 3 after 3 in shootarounds and practice with that ugly form of his but once reality hits and game starts, it’s different. And no, I’m not saying their shooting strokes are the same and yes, Bridges is already a far better shooter than Jackson.

Like I said before, I wouldn’t trade Bridges for the sake of just trading him. But if we can deal him and get, say D’Angelo Russel, who is both a good short and long term fit on the team then I do it.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
This was posted on another forum by a fan who was at the game. Disappointing if true.

I posted earlier in the thread that I was there and saw the same thing. He must have been pretty upset because I saw multiple teammates trying to console him (eg patting him on the back and saying something to him).

I know he's only 20, but it's really hard to understand not having the mentality to go out there and smash the opponent every night. I'd much rather see him pick up a few offensive fouls because he's out of control than see him pass out of the post when he's 5ft from the basket.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted earlier in the thread that I was there and saw the same thing. He must have been pretty upset because I saw multiple teammates trying to console him (eg patting him on the back and saying something to him).

I know he's only 20, but it's really hard to understand not having the mentality to go out there and smash the opponent every night. I'd much rather see him pick up a few offensive fouls because he's out of control than see him pass out of the post when he's 5ft from the basket.

At some point I suspect we'll just have to lower our expectations on Ayton, I don't think he has that in him. That's not to say that he won't become the best center we've ever had, I just don't believe he has that edge we'd all like to see. IMO he'll end up somewhere between a rich man's Marcin Gortat and a not quite Ewing but he'll likely always lack Patrick's physicality.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He needs to get the hitch out of his shot in order for it work consistently with NBA range imo.

Bridges is working on the mechanics of his shot in the video doing it in a slow motion so to speak.

He speeds it up during live action and has said as much.

The last time I watched Josh Jackson's outside shot, it looked like he was patterning his shot from Bridges.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
At some point I suspect we'll just have to lower our expectations on Ayton, I don't think he has that in him. That's not to say that he won't become the best center we've ever had, I just don't believe he has that edge we'd all like to see. IMO he'll end up somewhere between a rich man's Marcin Gortat and a not quite Ewing but he'll likely always lack Patrick's physicality.

I agree with that, but my take is slightly different. I think our expectations for Ayton are too high right now.
Not sure if it was the dislike of Doncic, or the fact that he is a local kid, or the fans just being so desperate for a dominant big man, or a combination of all those factors, but he was so grossly over-hyped that people expected a David Robinson in his mid-twenties on day one.

Ayton's issues with motor and the lack of aggressiveness were well-documented, and should not surprise any reasonable, semi-objective person, but I really believe that Ayton is actually an incredibly talented player who is years ahead of his age in his development. He has some low-post moves, he can hit a mid-range jumper, and has a decent turn-around, fade-away low-post move as well.

He still has issue, of course. He can't attack off the dribble, he doesn't know how to seal off the defender and receive a ball in the low post, he still doesn't box out consistently, he is lost on defense, and of course, he lacks aggressiveness and the drive. I think that people had such unrealistic expectations for him that it is making it really hard for them to appreciate just how good Ayton is at this young age.

As to projecting what he will turn into, I have no idea. He is incredibly advanced offensively, so I am guessing he will turn into a big-time scorer. He is already averaging 11 rebounds per game, so I am guessing he will improve slightly there, which would make him a very good rebounder. I think he will improve defensively a bit, but I don't think he will ever be a defensive stopper. I think he will get more aggressive, but I don't think that will ever be his strength. I am not sure who that compares to, but it sounds like a damn good basketball player.

I think the key to Suns success will be surrounding Ayton and Booker with defenders who can shoot, and also have some additional players who can score and create their own shot. Bridges fits in there as a 3, but not sure who the 1 and 4 are. Holiday would probably be an ideal 1. Perhaps Randle or Green would be good fits at 4.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the key to Suns success will be surrounding Ayton and Booker with defenders who can shoot, and also have some additional players who can score and create their own shot. Bridges fits in there as a 3, but not sure who the 1 and 4 are. Holiday would probably be an ideal 1. Perhaps Randle or Green would be good fits at 4.

I agree with much of what you said but this just won't work. I can't see either guy being willing to play backup to Zion.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, sure, I think the youth part goes a long ways towards explaining the lapses in effort and the stupid plays too. But some of it can be explained by these numbers - 1, 2, 10, 17. 1 GM gone from last season, 2 Head coaches gone from last season, 10 players on the roster today that weren't there last season and 17 players that spent time with us last season that are no longer with us. Continuity we ain't got.
Very true

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Man that will be a disappointment if true. Yes he’ll be the best we’ve ever had. But what you just described could maybe be the third best player on a contender, but not the second as most of us hoped would be his floor.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
On Ayton I think he needs repeated positive experiences to build his confidence. He's had moments when he's involved and aggressive that has resulted in buckets, stops and rebounds, so I think anything is possible. I hope they focus more on getting him the ball closer to the basket and seeing him cutting harder to the basket on screens. Booker tends to turn it over on lobs, so maybe try Booker and Bridges on the wing and Ayton screening for JCrossover or something. We need a win soon. Let's take down Charlotte.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that will be a disappointment if true. Yes he’ll be the best we’ve ever had. But what you just described could maybe be the third best player on a contender, but not the second as most of us hoped would be his floor.

He could surprise me and become a generational great but yeah, I think he likely tops out as a borderline 2nd/3rd best player on a championship contending team. Which works fine with Zion and Booker carrying the brunt of things here. We need someone like Williamson so bad I'm no longer even willing to consider the meager 86% chance we won't get him.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I may be completely wrong here (I probably am), but has Zion shown us that he can do anything other than overpower the college players and dunk?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be completely wrong here (I probably am), but has Zion shown us that he can do anything other than overpower the college players and dunk?

Actually, many of his dunks have nothing to do with overpowering college players. He has incredible body control and handles the ball like a guard. Granted we've seen little of his outside shot but IMO he's like Giannis, if he becomes a true threat from the outside you might as well tank for a decade until he wears down and is ready to leave the game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Actually, many of his dunks have nothing to do with overpowering college players. He has incredible body control and handles the ball like a guard. Granted we've seen little of his outside shot but IMO he's like Giannis, if he becomes a true threat from the outside you might as well tank for a decade until he wears down and is ready to leave the game.
Exactly, his leaping gets the attention but his footwork, agility, foot speed, body control, defensive awareness in space (steals and weak side shot blocking), and even passing. Can he shoot? I think jury’s out there at present, but he’s a freaking force of nature with a higher basketball IQ than anyone much considers due to his physical feats.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Well, sure, I think the youth part goes a long ways towards explaining the lapses in effort and the stupid plays too. But some of it can be explained by these numbers - 1, 2, 10, 17. 1 GM gone from last season, 2 Head coaches gone from last season, 10 players on the roster today that weren't there last season and 17 players that spent time with us last season that are no longer with us. Continuity we ain't got.
"You're fired!" :)