Clippers At Suns Game Thread

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I want to get DeAndre Jordan as our backup C to Robin somehow.. Our center position would be set for years to come it's weird to say that as a Suns fan.

As long as we are easily winning, I don't care that much about Amare's rebounding nights especially when he sits out quarters, but if it starts to continue well then I'd rather lean towards letting him go instead and sign Tyrus Thomas for the MLE.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I watched most of tonights game and....
I think its safe to say that Lopez has turned the corner and figured out how to be an NBA center. He hasn't faced any top-notch big men or faced any REAL pressure but regardless,the light has come ON.

I'll gladly step up and admit that i was wrong about him being a complete 1st rd bust(there were many others here who claimed the same).

Kerr and his scouting dept are looking pretty solid right about now with the picks of Dragic & Lopez. Hopefully E. Clark will begin to get some minutes and look like an NBA player next season.

So....I will OFFICIALLY remove my pet name for "The Midget Clown" and give him his due props.
:thumbup:

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Stat played like the old Amare, extremely weak on the defensive end.

I saw a couple of steals, a couple of blocks, and some decent positional defense on Gooden. He does struggle against Craig Smith, as do other lighter power forwards. He didn't get many boards, but he was boxing out decently and JRich took several right out of his hands. The Suns are really "team rebounding" right now, and it seems that Amar'e doesn't care about rebound stats, as he is content to let the ball go to a teammate rather than grab it. Not sure why that is though. When he boxes out well he doesn't go after the ball but stays on his man while a teammate grabs it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Amare had something like 8 great rebounding games in a row, so now he has a bad one and he's the "old" Amare? Let's see how he does against San Antonio and Denver and decide then, shall we?

OP
OP
AfroSuns

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a couple of steals, a couple of blocks, and some decent positional defense on Gooden. He does struggle against Craig Smith, as do other lighter power forwards. He didn't get many boards, but he was boxing out decently and JRich took several right out of his hands. The Suns are really "team rebounding" right now, and it seems that Amar'e doesn't care about rebound stats, as he is content to let the ball go to a teammate rather than grab it. Not sure why that is though. When he boxes out well he doesn't go after the ball but stays on his man while a teammate grabs it.

I agree.
C'mon guys it's just one game and he sat out a lot of the 4th quarter. I am glad he is content on sitting that long when he could be padding his stats.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

You've gotta be kidding me. His positional defense was absolute garbage which is nothing new, but I can overlook it somewhat when he's giving a decent rebounding line. This game he didn't. Even Gentry and Chambers were pointing out our interior defense was suspect tonight. Who do you think they were talking about. . . Robin Lopez? Give me a break.

Last edited:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Amare defended well in the first quarter then was just always always always a step behind. He blatant missed a handful of defensive assignments. Lots of brain farts. Its so hard to watch his offense-defense disconnect. Craig Smith made him his bitch tonight. It was sad. Who the @#$% is Craig Smith?

But LOPEZ! He was stunning. Constantly setting picks and disrupting the defense. His hook shot has no arc but works so well for him. He was getting himself open and earned every pass he got. Came away with rebounds he had no business ending up with. The boy straight up dominated the game, where in the same night Kaman gets ejected for frustration and Gooden gets a flagrant after tackling Lopez.

To top it all off, I was laughing so hard when he was hanging onto 28 & 29 points FOREVER. Gentry kept him in at the end so he could nab his 30th then pulled him right out.

He was fantastic.

Nash and Dragic both with double digit assists. Nash got some well deserved rest and Dragic steered the ship for the second half.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Amare defended well in the first quarter then was just always always always a step behind. He blatant missed a handful of defensive assignments. Lots of brain farts. Its so hard to watch his offense-defense disconnect. Craig Smith made him his bitch tonight. It was sad. Who the @#$% is Craig Smith?

But LOPEZ! He was stunning. Constantly setting picks and disrupting the defense. His hook shot has no arc but works so well for him. He was getting himself open and earned every pass he got. Came away with rebounds he had no business ending up with. The boy straight up dominated the game, where in the same night Kaman gets ejected for frustration and Gooden gets a flagrant after tackling Lopez.

To top it all off, I was laughing so hard when he was hanging onto 28 & 29 points FOREVER. Gentry kept him in at the end so he could nab his 30th then pulled him right out.

He was fantastic.

Nash and Dragic both with double digit assists. Nash got some well deserved rest and Dragic steered the ship for the second half.

This.

Good to see you YJGS. Always enjoy reading your posts.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As long as we are easily winning, I don't care that much about Amare's rebounding nights especially when he sits out quarters, but if it starts to continue well then I'd rather lean towards letting him go instead and sign Tyrus Thomas for the MLE.
I would only bring in Tyrus Thomas for the Vet minimum
Another PF that is terrible at rebounding and who's offense is severly limited.:|

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'll gladly step up and admit that i was wrong about him being a complete 1st rd bust(there were many others here who claimed the same).

I'm certainly in that group. By this point, he looks like a better-than-average pick. Sure, he might fall apart again, but for where he is toward the end of his second season, you really can't ask for more.

Seeing Lopez show some confidence is just one more reinforcement of how happy I am O'Neal is gone. He played remarkably well during his brief time with the Suns, but I never liked him and never will. I'm relieved that the Suns survived their Shaq Experience with as little damage as they did.

Meanwhile, Marion is showing that, now that he's on the wrong side of 30, he's not even really worth the MLE anymore. And, Stoudemire was not traded for pennies on the dollar a few weeks ago, in spite of everyone's fears.

It might be time to admit that Kerr isn't completely incompetent as a GM after all.

So....I will OFFICIALLY remove my pet name for "The Midget Clown" and give him his due props.

I call him "FroLo," in honor of his hair.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
chalk me up as one of those who was completely wrong about Sideshow Rob. Kid looks like he's just getting better and better and at worst, will be a solid to maybe even good C in this league for years to come, which is pretty damn good for late lotto pick.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If Amare leaves and we don't somehow end up with another scorer at the 4, which would consequently lead to more touches for Robin then I see him averaging at least 15/7 next year and maybe as good as 18/9.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I'm certainly in that group. By this point, he looks like a better-than-average pick. Sure, he might fall apart again, but for where he is toward the end of his second season, you really can't ask for more.

Seeing Lopez show some confidence is just one more reinforcement of how happy I am O'Neal is gone. He played remarkably well during his brief time with the Suns, but I never liked him and never will. I'm relieved that the Suns survived their Shaq Experience with as little damage as they did.

Meanwhile, Marion is showing that, now that he's on the wrong side of 30, he's not even really worth the MLE anymore. And, Stoudemire was not traded for pennies on the dollar a few weeks ago, in spite of everyone's fears.

It might be time to admit that Kerr isn't completely incompetent as a GM after all.

I call him "FroLo," in honor of his hair.

chalk me up as one of those who was completely wrong about Sideshow Rob. Kid looks like he's just getting better and better and at worst, will be a solid to maybe even good C in this league for years to come, which is pretty damn good for late lotto pick.

Chalk me up as someone who gave both him and Dragic a chance to be solid starters sooner rather then later:)

But then again I am myopic with the player evaluations at times ;)

And FYI for everybody - Sideshow Rob is the only nickname that works for ROLO. Its just perfect.

Although I like ROLO too ;)

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
As one who defended the front office regarding the picks of Lopez and Dragic, I would like to offer kudos to those naysayers who have the seeds to publicly admit they were mistaken. :thumbup:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched most of tonights game and....
I think its safe to say that Lopez has turned the corner and figured out how to be an NBA center. He hasn't faced any top-notch big men or faced any REAL pressure but regardless,the light has come ON.

I'm not very active but I was certainly one of the posters that took a shot at this pick. And although he's definitely exceeded my expectations I'm not quite willing to call him a success just yet. My concern was always his head/heart and a handful of games isn't enough to put that worry behind me. I have high hopes but we've all been down this path before.

Steve

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I agree with everything here. Before the season started I just wanted Lopez off the team so I wouldn't have to watch him. I was willing to give Dragic a chance but never thought Lopez would show any signs.

As for Amare's poor rebounding game I wasn't that upset about it since the Suns won the rebounding battle and there were several times Amare would have gotten the board if a teammate didn't snag it first. Craig Smith getting his buckets seemed more to do with some miscommunication with Lopez and Amare because Smith was left wide open multiple times with Robin and Stat both on either Gooden or Jordan.

OP
OP
AfroSuns

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although i have never considered Lopez a bust, i never thought he would be this good either. I don't know if i am going to proclaim him a solid starter until i see him get those numbers without Nash, he struggled when Nash didnt play the last game with OKC finishing with only 2pts with 2TO, maybe it was lack of touches or plays drawn for him but i will wait till i see how he handles himself against legit teams down the stretch.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Hey, I had $100,000,000 on VB for Lopez scoring 30 points versus Clippers. 100 to 1 odds! LOL!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too was critical of Lopez when he showed slow development last season and early this season. I must say the Suns now look totally naked on offense and defense without him in the lineup.

Anyone catch Chamber's comment on TV that he told the Suns that Lopez was not ready to start? I'm sure glad the coaching staff did not listen to him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson