Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/07/190724144152.htm

Date:
July 24, 2019
Source:
Earth Institute at Columbia University
Summary:
A new study provides the first comprehensive theory for why there were clusters of megadroughts in the American Southwest during Medieval times. The authors found that ocean temperature conditions plus high radiative forcing -- when Earth absorbs more sunlight than it radiates back into space -- play important roles in triggering megadroughts. The study suggests an increasing risk of future megadroughts in the American Southwest due to climate change.

"About a dozen megadroughts struck the American Southwest during the 9th through the 15th centuries, but then they mysteriously ceased around the year 1600. What caused this clustering of megadroughts -- that is, severe droughts that last for decades -- and why do they happen at all?"

I heard a lecture from a scientific historian on global warming, and one quote stood out to me. The scientist basically said they could chart all cases of global warming, but had no idea why the warming patterns ended! Science has no idea why a global warming period ends. It's nice to know they do end. It's kind of uneasy not knowing why.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is some scary stuff for States with a ton of desert.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave