Clear Something up for Me?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
In the quantum world, is it possible that time is simply a wave which propagates into particles of reality, thus dissolving once observed. This causing the past to no longer be accessible (or observed) in any present moments, while the future, still existing in wave form, can and will be experienced in another time? In other words, what we call the past can only be experienced in a present moment, thus limiting it to the present, not the past.

Oh wait. Sorry, that isn't my question. What I was really wanting to know is are there not a couple of LBs that played for us who have now been given a ton of money to start for other teams? LBs who we let walk away and then used first round picks to replace with two who aren't even starting or playing full time for us? Or am I mixed up as usual and confusing some players with others?

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not exactly accurate. The Wave function collapses when external observation is applied.

Though if you subscribe to the Many Worlds theory then the Wave function never collapses but just splits into many different realities

:lmao: Not that I like physics

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The fourth dimension is confusing. Most observers seem to believe that if we master traveling faster than the speed of light we would be able to observe but not participate in past events. I do like string theory but the issue of what/who could trigger divergence and is the number of strings infinite, still seems confusing.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The fourth dimension is confusing. Most observers seem to believe that if we master traveling faster than the speed of light we would be able to observe but not participate in past events. I do like string theory but the issue of what/who could trigger divergence and is the number of strings infinite, still seems confusing.
o_O

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Nah...

Time is linear, but like a frayed thread.
Going back in time is the easy part. But in order to return you would have to pinpoint the exact nanosecond you left. Otherwise your most likely going to be in a different time line since every action ever made by anybody alters future possibilities.
Target your return a moment too late and Steve over in Boise already took that third bite of spinach quiche which causes him to throw up in the sink. His bile mixes with a new bacteria in the sewer creating a new super flu that kills millions in the coming days.
But target your return correctly....and after the second bite Steve realizes that spinach quiche suxx and he decides to get a burrito on the way to work...the new bacteria washes out to sea eventually,...bonds with an amoeba, attaches itself to some kelp....then washes ashore on a deserted island where it dries out and dies harmlessly.

Tricky business.

Our linebacker coach suxx

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But then you are looking at the need for 11 dimensions for strings. Also iirc it leads you to the multiverse as part of the theory.

I believe the issue with FTL travel is it seems to break causality. I'll have to go back and read some stuff to be sure I am remembering correctly.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah...

Time is linear, but like a frayed thread.
Going back in time is the easy part. But in order to return you would have to pinpoint the exact nanosecond you left. Otherwise your most likely going to be in a different time line since every action ever made by anybody alters future possibilities.
Target your return a moment too late and Steve over in Boise already took that third bite of spinach quiche which causes him to throw up in the sink. His bile mixes with a new bacteria in the sewer creating a new super flu that kills millions in the coming days.
But target your return correctly....and after the second bite Steve realizes that spinach quiche suxx and he decides to get a burrito on the way to work...the new bacteria washes out to sea eventually,...bonds with an amoeba, attaches itself to some kelp....then washes ashore on a deserted island where it dries out and dies harmlessly.

Tricky business.

Our linebacker coach suxx
This is the issue with FTL travel it seems to break causality.

One idea I have heard is that none of the above is true. In fact you would fracture into an infinite set of new universes back to the multiverse again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light and if we were able to travel even faster to the beginning, all the rules of science as we know changes.

In other words, what we know about the universe is likely minuscule.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I understand the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light and if were able to travel even faster to the beginning, all the rules of science as we know changes.

I would say it's definitely miniscule. ;)

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I understand all about the wave , until it coordinates with the SEC . Does the wave compromise when the wormhole is in the southeast corridor of the SEC ???

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light and if we were able to travel even faster to the beginning, all the rules of science as we know changes.

Only during the brief moments after the big bang. The universe is expanding currently, but not faster than the speed of light.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only during the brief moments after the big bang. The universe is expanding currently, but not faster than the speed of light.

There is evidence that indicates the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light by the theory of inflation. I'm not sure if it is proven though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is evidence that indicates the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light by the theory of inflation. I'm not sure if it is proven though.

Hasn't been proven. It is only a theory at this point.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You are both right sort of.

It is true that in the early universe it expanded rapidly and Alan Guff came up with that theory

It is also true that the universe is still expanding but you have your terms a bit mixed up. It is not "expanding faster than light", it is expanding at an increasing rate due to dark energy, in essence space itself is expanding that the bits of stuff ie us, planets stars, galaxies etc are all moving away from each other at an ever increasing rate. That means that the bits that are furthest away are moving faster thsn light relative to us or at least the space they are in is. This defines the edge of the observable universe [a slight simplification]

The concept that space can move faster than light while not violating GR is the basis of the Alcubierre drive which is just about my favourite physics subject even if it is almost certainly not possible

and in case you want to know .... Nobody has a clue what Dark Energy is

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are both right sort of.

It is true that in the early universe it expanded rapidly and Alan Guff came up with that theory

It is also true that the universe is still expanding but you have your terms a bit mixed up. It is not "expanding faster than light", it is expanding at an increasing rate due to dark energy, in essence space itself is expanding that the bits of stuff ie us, planets stars, galaxies etc are all moving away from each other at an ever increasing rate. That means that the bits that are furthest away are moving faster thsn light relative to us or at least the space they are in is. This defines the edge of the observable universe [a slight simplification]

The concept that space can move faster than light while not violating GR is the basis of the Alcubierre drive which is just about my favourite physics subject even if it is almost certainly not possible

and in case you want to know .... Nobody has a clue what Dark Energy is
How did I get it right sort of?

I stated shortly after the big bang, the universe expanded faster than the speed of light It is still currently expanding, but below the speed of light.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did I get it right sort of?

I stated shortly after the big bang, the universe expanded faster than the speed of light It is still currently expanding, but below the speed of light.
Because parts of the universe are receding faster than light now.

But really I only sort of understand this and the math is way beyond me and probably always was. I wasn't trying to imply you were wrong

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

But really I only sort of understand this and the math is way beyond me and probably always was. I wasn't trying to imply you were wrong
all this,...and you still haven't commented a lick on our linebacker situation.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I haven't seen any concrete proof that it is expanding faster than light since the big bang. Interesting on all accounts.

The only books that I seem to read these days are on space, big bang, quantum theory etc.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
all this,...and you still haven't commented a lick on our linebacker situation.
What we need is a linebacker who can run faster than the speed of light but I guess he burst into flames!

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
All of that and we haven't even mentioned consciousness yet. If the Cards were only half this interesting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave