Clancy and Brown to be released

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
From K9's roster prediction:

QB (3) - Leinart, Warner, Boyd
RB (5) - E. James, M. Shipp, J.J. Arrington, T. Smith, O. Ayanbedejo
TE (3) - L. Pope, B. Patrick, J. Bronson
OL (8) - L Brown (T), O. Ross (T), M. Gandy (T/G), R. Wells (G/T), M. Brown (G), D. Lutui (G), A. Johnson (C), N. Leckey (C)
WR (5) - A. Boldin, L. Fitzgerald, S. Breaston, S. Morey, M. Spurlock

Total Offense: 24
Surprise Cuts: Bryant Johnson, Elton Brown, LeRon McCoy

Defense (3-4)
DE (5) - D. Dockett, A. Smith, C. Cooper, A. Branch, R. Kolodziej
NT (3) - G. Watson, K. Clancy, J. Lewis
OLB (4) - B. Berry, C. Okeafor, C. Pace, J. Tafoya
ILB (5) - G. Hayes, K. Dansby, M. Beisel, D. Blackstock, B. Davis
CB (5) - A. Rolle, E. Green, R. Hood, D. Hunter, M. Ware
S (4) - A. Wilson, T. Holt, A. Francisco, H. Milligan

Total Defense: 26

Special Teams:
P: S. Player
K: N. Rackers
LS: Nate Hodel

Total Special Teams: 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kendrick Clancy, and Milford Brown are already gone.

Time for some re-shuffling.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards to cut Brown, Clancy
Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 5, 2007 12:35 PM

Coach Ken Whisenhunt confirmed that nose tackle Kendrick Clancy and guard Milford Brown refused the team's request to "restructure" their contracts and will soon be released.

Whisenhunt talked to both players on Monday and met with them again this morning.

"I didn't want it to come down to a situation in training camp where we had to make a decision about these guys based on the money," Whisenhunt said. "Also, if they didn't want to restructure, I wanted to give them the opportunity to get on somewhere else. They decided they didn't to restructure, so I respect them."

These kinds of changes come with a change in coaching, Whisenhunt said. "We're doing some things differently offensively and defensively. Out of respect to Kendrick and Milford, I didn't want it to come down to a situation at the last cut and have to make a decision at that point."

Both Clancy and Brown were starters last year, but were being pegged as backups this season. The Cardinals didn't want to continue to pay them as starters and asked them to take paycuts.

Gabe Watson, a fourth-round pick last year, is now the starter at nose tackle, and rookie Alan Branch, a second-round pick, will push him. Reggie Wells and Deuce Lutui are the starting guards, with Elton Brown and rookie Brian Johnson, an undrafted free agent, backing them up.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The reality is that Oliver Ross will end up backing up both the tackle and guard spots, with Elton possibly being the last OL kept

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like the moves Graves made on the cap, leaving us in this situation. I'd really like him to explain why we fettered all that money away early, and are now paying for it by cutting solid depth.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I'm so tired of this crap. Whiz singing songs of depth and then FO cut the thin position of NT. WTF have Waston and Lewis done so far?????

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
M.Brown is the best OLmen we have/had. This is a joke. What a freaking joke the FO is. Talking out both ends with "adding depth for comp." Then Fing with the contracts like they did so they didnt have to sign too many players as it appeared as if they spend all their money.

Complete BS, where is the depth now???

CARDCORE FAN

Rookie
Reaction score
Totally Agree

M.Brown is the best OLmen we have/had. This is a joke. What a freaking joke the FO is. Talking out both ends with "adding depth for comp." Then Fing with the contracts like they did so they didnt have to sign too many players as it appeared as if they spend all their money.

Complete BS, where is the depth now???

Totally Agree. We are going to regret cutting these guys....argh

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
M.Brown is the best OLmen we have/had. This is a joke.

Didn't you hear? Brown was given every chance to win the position this offseason and he wasn't able to do it. Obviously having Ross or Gandy starting on the OL is better than having Milford Brown starting--and didn't you know it Reggie Wells is an excellent OG and has proven it time and again on the field during games when it counts, let alone in shorts with little to no contact? :sarcasm:

All I can say is these moves better workout because they are replacing 2 starters to free up money to sign rookies when we were in the top 5 in the NFL in cap space this offseason. Well played front office. I hate to see what these bozos would do if we were flush up against the cap when an offseason started.

BTW the coaching staff is to blame for this as well as the front office but ultimately the blame falls on the front office--who just signed these 2 guys LAST season! (oh I know it was all Denny's fault, if you are gonna give Graves props for signing James he needs to be held accountable for signing those 2 as well).

Oh and Whisenhunt lied when he said he was the type of coach that adjusted his system to the type of players he had...flat bold faced lie.

Elton Brown better turn out to be at the very least equal to Milford Brown (for depth) and Ross or Gandy better turn out better or as good as Leonard Davis and Levi Brown better be better or as good as Reggie Wells was at RT. Everyone who thinks Grimm is a miracleworker better be right or its gonna be another lost season with the OL.

I want nothing more than this team to be succesful, I hope the Front Office and coaching staff proves me wrong but right now I have to question these moves.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
good post Zeno. I think this Oline will be worse than last season. My opinion.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Oh and Whisenhunt lied when he said he was the type of coach that adjusted his system to the type of players he had...flat bold faced lie.

Ooh! The unkindest cut of all! I had totally forgot about that. I probably deleted it from my memory because it's always a lie.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Zeno;1381794Oh and Whisenhunt lied when he said he was the type of coach that adjusted his system to the type of players he had...flat bold faced lie.QUOTE said:
I was thinking the same thing. I even assured others in different threads before the draft that Whis wasn't gonna rebuild because he wanted to adjust and fit his system to the players he was inheriting rather than making them fit his system.:doofus:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Zeno;1381794Oh and Whisenhunt lied when he said he was the type of coach that adjusted his system to the type of players he had...flat bold faced lie.QUOTE said:
I was thinking the same thing. I even assured others in different threads before the draft that Whis wasn't gonna rebuild because he wanted to adjust and fit his system to the players he was inheriting rather than making them fit his system.:doofus:

I was just wondering if the Cardinals or any reporters have ever actually said any of the three players didn't fit the system or if it was just posters on ASFN saying that to rationalize the moves.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
I was just wondering if the Cardinals or any reporters have ever actually said any of the three players didn't fit the system or if it was just posters on ASFN saying that to rationalize the moves.
:bang:
Kent Somers said:
In the team's new 3-4 defensive alignment, coaches wanted a larger nose tackle than Clancy, who is 6 feet 1 and 305 pounds. Clancy started 11 games last year, but he is in danger of losing his job to either Alan Branch, the second-round pick out of Michigan, or Gabe Watson, a fourth-round pick out of Michigan a year ago. Each weighs more than 330 pounds.
Brown, who started 12 games at guard last year, lost his starting job this year to Reggie Wells.
The moves would create more room under the salary cap, although that's not believed to be the main motivation for asking Brown and Clancy to take pay cuts.
Darren Urban said:
Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt confirmed after today's organized team activity that the team was "in the process" of released defensive tackle Kendrick Clancy and guard Milford Brown after both declined to take pay cuts.

Whisenhunt said he wanted to make sure the players had a chance to hook on with another team and that he didn't want roster decisions in training camp to come down to money. Both players were going to be backups despite starter's salaries. Whisenhunt said the team wanted to keep both players, but not at their salaries.

Whisenhunt also stressed the salary cap had nothing to do with the move.

With Milford Brown gone, undrafted rookie Brian Johnson was working as second-string guard along with Elton Brown. Gabe Watson has moved into Clancy's starting nose tackle role.
Kent Somers said:
It's official
06/05/2007 12:23 PM

Coach Ken Whisenhunt confirmed that nose tackle Kendrick Clancy and guard Milford Brown refused the team's request to "restructure" their contracts and will soon be released.

Whisenhunt talked to both players on Monday and met with them again this morning.

"I didn't want it to come down to a situation in training camp where we had to make a decision about these guys based on the money," Whisenhunt. "Also, if they didn't want to restructure, I wanted to give them the opportunity to get on somewhere else. They decided they didn't to restructure, so I respect them."

These kinds of changes come with a change in coaching, Whisenhunt said. "We're doing some things differently offensively and defensively. Out of respect to Kendrick and Milford, I didn't want it to come down to a situation at the last cut and have to make a decision at that point."

I had posted all this stuff before, you must "rationalizations" on "Ignore".

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I looked at those same notes, RH, but none of them say that Milford or Clancy were "bad fits." It said that they were likely backups.

The one that I'm fairly certain was a bad fit was Femi, but no one really seems to be disputing his release.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't like the message? Don't be a hater.
The message is irrelevant. It's the delivery. He asked a simple question and you seemed indignant that he didn't remember you posting the information originally.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

C'mon Zeno--

there are coaches that adjust their system to players, but there are no coaches that adjust their system to accomodate every single player on the roster, or even last year's starting 22.

You adjust you system to fit your most talented players -- not for every role player on your roster.

Last edited:

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
The message is irrelevant. It's the delivery. He asked a simple question and you seemed indignant that he didn't remember you posting the information originally.

Yea. Pretty simple question.

You read indignation in my response but his question is mearly "simple"?

Allow me to respond in kind. Get over yourself.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson