CJ's next estimated contract details

Reaction score
$24 mill guaranteed over two seasons! For that I wouldn't even wait for the heartbeat, sign it NOW!!!

I expect it will actually require a significantly higher amount however. . .

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
2 year deal is perfect. I don't want longer than that.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting chart: Double-team rate when pass rushing vs. pass rush win rate.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

...dave
I have been saying it for a while now, but he will go down as the best defensive player to ever play the game.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
$24 mill guaranteed over two seasons! For that I wouldn't even wait for the heartbeat, sign it NOW!!!

I expect it will actually require a significantly higher amount however. . .
That would be the guaranteed money, not the total contract value. The total contract value was mentioned as $33.5 million.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I cant imagine Chandler's agent is going to let him take just a 2 year deal. That puts him back on the market at an age where another big payday is very unlikely.

I think he is going to want a 3-4 year deal, which I would be hesitant to give depending on the terms. That being said, I want him back. We are not going to find anyone better in the short term.

If we can transition tag him and let someone else set the market that could be the best bet. We still get the option to match. There's the chance of the poison pill...but I don't know how many teams have that option.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant imagine Chandler's agent is going to let him take just a 2 year deal. That puts him back on the market at an age where another big payday is very unlikely.

I think he is going to want a 3-4 year deal, which I would be hesitant to give depending on the terms. That being said, I want him back. We are not going to find anyone better in the short term.

If we can transition tag him and let someone else set the market that could be the best bet. We still get the option to match. There's the chance of the poison pill...but I don't know how many teams have that option.
He isn't going to get franchised or transitioned. He would be owed $25M for next year. I don't see any way the Cards do this.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He isn't going to get franchised or transitioned. He would be owed $25M for next year. I don't see any way the Cards do this.
Transition tag is based of the top 10 salaries correct? The way I understand it is somewhat similar to a RFA...meaning other teams can offer a deal and then we can match? I very well could be wrong

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transition tag is based of the top 10 salaries correct? The way I understand it is somewhat similar to a RFA...meaning other teams can offer a deal and then we can match? I very well could be wrong
or 120% of their current salary, whichever is greater. Exactly like the franchise tag, except top 10 vs top 5.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
or 120% of their current salary, whichever is greater. Exactly like the franchise tag, except top 10 vs top 5.
But the possible advantage would be that another team could set his market value, while still giving us a chance to match? If the offers he gets from other teams are 2 years/30 mil....then it might work in our favor. If another team offers him 4 years/100 mil..then we would get some kind of compensation?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the possible advantage would be that another team could set his market value, while still giving us a chance to match? If the offers he gets from other teams are 2 years/30 mil....then it might work in our favor. If another team offers him 4 years/100 mil..then we would get some kind of compensation?
If he is offered 2/30 from another team, why would he take it if he can get 1/25?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If he is offered 2/30 from another team, why would he take it if he can get 1/25?
Not saying he would...just saying he would get to see his offers...if any...from other teams?

Rather than letting he and his agent tell us his market value, wouldn't there be some advantage to letting him see his value while we are also trying to negotiate a new deal with him?

Again, no way to know...but IMO had we used the transition tag on DJ Humphries, there would not have been a single team in the NFL that offered him 15+ million a year like we did. I think he would have gotten offers in the 6-8 million per year range, and then we could have said...we are offering 9...and made a much better deal?

Again, Im not a cap expert, but it seems like there are some advantages to the transition tag when you are trying to work out a new deal.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not saying he would...just saying he would get to see his offers...if any...from other teams?

Rather than letting he and his agent tell us his market value, wouldn't there be some advantage to letting him see his value while we are also trying to negotiate a new deal with him?

Again, no way to know...but IMO had we used the transition tag on DJ Humphries, there would not have been a single team in the NFL that offered him 15+ million a year like we did. I think he would have gotten offers in the 6-8 million per year range, and then we could have said...we are offering 9...and made a much better deal?

Again, Im not a cap expert, but it seems like there are some advantages to the transition tag when you are trying to work out a new deal.
There definitely are. Not just in this case.

Reaction score
That would be the guaranteed money, not the total contract value. The total contract value was mentioned as $33.5 million.
I sort of look at contracts as guaranteed money is the only money that counts. . . Sure the rest matters, but if a player is earning "incentive money" both the team and player are going to be satisfied!

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Interesting chart: Double-team rate when pass rushing vs. pass rush win rate.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

...dave
yikes, no way you pay big money for this kinda performance. Donald, an ass as he is, is on an island all by himself.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
yikes, no way you pay big money for this kinda performance. Donald, an ass as he is, is on an island all by himself.

There's 3 free agents I mentioned that are much cheaper, younger and higher ranked in that chart than CJ; Dante Fowler/Randy Gregory and what would be my favorite acquisition Emanuel Ogbah - soo potential, batted passes galore. Give me a cheap high risk/high reward in Fowler and a rising young player in Ogbah for the price of 1 CJ all day (not sure if that can be had though - someone might splurge on Ogbah).

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I was going to be ok with 2 and 30, but he disappeared way too much as the season went on, and became more of a liability than a threat.

We have so many holes to fill, you'd hate to create another one, but paying Chan real money looks like a huge mistake as well.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's 3 free agents I mentioned that are much cheaper, younger and higher ranked in that chart than CJ; Dante Fowler/Randy Gregory and what would be my favorite acquisition Emanuel Ogbah - soo potential, batted passes galore. Give me a cheap high risk/high reward in Fowler and a rising young player in Ogbah for the price of 1 CJ all day (not sure if that can be had though - someone might splurge on Ogbah).
Yeah definitely, ogbah would be a huge addition
My free agency wish list

Glowinsky
Ogbah
Larry Ogunjobi
Cedric Wilson

Last edited: