Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Cincinnati and Sacramento are the Phoenix Risings biggest competitors right now for MLS expansion. I thought San Diego was a shoe in but they have recently hit major snags with their stadium proposal.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are picking four?

Yes.

Two will be awarded by the end of 2017 most likely to start play in 2020.

and then two more will be awarded in another couple of years.

The goal is to get to 28 teams total.

Currently there is 22 teams with LA getting a team this year and Miami is supposed to be getting a team to bring it to 24. That leaves 4 spots for expansion to bring it to 28 teams total.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think Cincinnati and Sacramento are the Phoenix Risings biggest competitors right now for MLS expansion. I thought San Diego was a shoe in but they have recently hit major snags with their stadium proposal.
And none of those has the appeal of Phoenix -- they don't have the fan base, the TV market or Didier Drogba. Still think Phoenix is a shoe-in.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
And none of those has the appeal of Phoenix -- they don't have the fan base, the TV market or Didier Drogba. Still think Phoenix is a shoe-in.

Chances are Drogba won't be playing when we make MLS (he only signed a one-year player contract), but he will still be part owner. Our 3 most well known players (Drogba, Wright-Phillips and Bravo) might all be done by 2020 - so it will be interesting to see how the younger guys develop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave