Chris Young 3 HR's

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Just went yard again; back to back style with Montero leading the way. Thats 5 jacks in the last 4 games! Looks like he finally got over the mental block in his head and remembered that he is a pretty good baseball player. Almost to the Mendoza line.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Well since you brought it up the D-Backs are 6-10 since Chris Young was called up on August 29th. Since his call up he is hitting .260 (13/50) with 6 hrs and 9 rbi and struck out 15 times. Since his home run outburst on September 6th he is hitting .367 (11/30) with all of his homers and rbis coming in that time. He also struck out 7 times. I would venture to guess everyone would take those numbers out of him especially when you factor in how many runs he saves out in centerfield.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Well since you brought it up the D-Backs are 6-10 since Chris Young was called up on August 29th. Since his call up he is hitting .260 (13/50) with 6 hrs and 9 rbi and struck out 15 times. Since his home run outburst on September 6th he is hitting .367 (11/30) with all of his homers and rbis coming in that time. He also struck out 7 times. I would venture to guess everyone would take those numbers out of him especially when you factor in how many runs he saves out in centerfield.

6 & 10... Not good. And what was their record after the break and before Young rejoined the team?
Anyway, I hope Chris keeps this up, and that somehow, some way the D-Backs are able to leverage this into a viable, respectable trade.
However, I suspect that CY is doing nothing more than continuing to set his trap. He is the perfect trap player after all... :bang:

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Chris Young was optioned August 10th and was re-called on the 29th. In that span we went 7-10.

I don't understand you dislike for Chris Young. Is he ever going to be a .300 hitter, no. I think everyone will admit that. As long as he hits .260 with 20-30 homers and steals around 20 bases he will be a solid contributor, not to mention his outstanding defensive play. Who do you want patrolling the outfield? Parra is a good left fielder, but is a below average center fielder. He doesn't have the speed to make plays. Upton needs to stay in right. Eric Byrnes is just awful, Trent Oljten is filler, Romero is filler. We don't really have anyone in the minors who will do a better job than Young does. Our best bet moving forward for the outfield is Parra in left, Young in center, and Upton in right. There is no reason to believe that will be any different come March of 2010.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Chris Young was optioned August 10th and was re-called on the 29th. In that span we went 7-10.

I don't understand you dislike for Chris Young. Is he ever going to be a .300 hitter, no. I think everyone will admit that. As long as he hits .260 with 20-30 homers and steals around 20 bases he will be a solid contributor, not to mention his outstanding defensive play. Who do you want patrolling the outfield? Parra is a good left fielder, but is a below average center fielder. He doesn't have the speed to make plays. Upton needs to stay in right. Eric Byrnes is just awful, Trent Oljten is filler, Romero is filler. We don't really have anyone in the minors who will do a better job than Young does. Our best bet moving forward for the outfield is Parra in left, Young in center, and Upton in right. There is no reason to believe that will be any different come March of 2010.

I do need to slow down on the Young bashing as, with a few exceptions, most people here and apparently the D-Backs brass, just don't get it...
As I have contended all along, CY is the perfect trap... He'll always do just enough to get the sort of respect you and many others toss his away, but never, ever enough to actually warrant it... As such, his presence will continue to detract from the teams' ability to consistently contend and win. It would be painful for me and to others if I were to go back to my rationale as to what a CF is supposed to provide. But suffice to say, CY isn't in the same stratosphere of what is actually needed from a centerfielder, such as .270 BA or higher, .375 OBP or higher, runs scored and solid defense.
The HR's are nothing but a distraction that continues to build his trap. We should be getting enough HR's from 3B, 1B, RF, and C so that the CF should not even think about HR's at the expense of all the rest that is needed from that position.
It's also laughable to see so many paint the picture of CY as the equivalent to Willie Mays defensively. Yes, he's solid. But to continue to claim that his defense "saves us games" is a joke... How many games has his "defense saved us", and what makes you so certain that Parra, Oeltjen, Romero or someone else couldn't have made whatever plays you seem to have in your head??

OK... no more CY rants... It's Cardinal season... I've made my case for the last time on the kid. He's a trap and he alone will continue to be, as he has been, the largest deterrant to the D-Backs ability to create consistency and more W's than L's...

Later...

OP
OP
binkar

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's not that we don't get it. It's that we don't get why you have to piss on the one positive thing CY has done all year. Everyone knows CY sucks offensively, but does that mean we can't enjoy watching him hit 3 HR's in one game? I am not trying to be a jerk, but there is only so many ways you can say CY sucks, yet you have managed to drive the point home 634,723,572,723,276,467 times.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The question should be why we, and the "DBacks Brass" should give a rat's ass what some MFY fan thinks about our team. He's stated he doesn't care what we think of his team or their fans.

:shrug:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's not that we don't get it. It's that we don't get why you have to piss on the one positive thing CY has done all year. Everyone knows CY sucks offensively, but does that mean we can't enjoy watching him hit 3 HR's in one game?
When a player on our team has the worst ratio of infield and foul popups of any player in the Major Leagues, hitting 3 HR's in a game one time only encourages his bad habits.

Remember Tony Womack? A leadoff hitter who constantly hit popups in the leadoff spot and, in his case, all it took was 3 HR's a year to keep those bad habits.

And now Young is back in the leadoff spot, because he has speed on the bases. Just like Tony Womack.

As the old saying goes, before you can steal 2B, you have to reach first base. With popups and a few homeruns, you're not in the position to steal any base.

It's team management that doesn't get it.

OP
OP
binkar

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ok...

Chris Young sucks offensively. He really never has been good offensively. He hit .237 in his best season. We all understand that.

3 HR's is still a remarkable performance.

I just don't get what you are trying to say. No one is in here saying "Chris Young hit 3 HR's, I guess he doesn't suck after all." We are simply saying 3 HR's is an impressive performance on that given day.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I just don't get what you are trying to say.
For Mark Reynolds or Justin Upton or Brandon Allen, accomplishing three HR's in a game would be great. They are middle-of-the-lineup hitters.

For guys like Chris Young or Eric Byrnes, who popup regularly, finally connecting for homeruns only reinforces and encourages their bad habits at the plate.

Reinforces and encourages their bad habits is the key phrase here.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For Mark Reynolds or Justin Upton or Brandon Allen, accomplishing three HR's in a game would be great. They are middle-of-the-lineup hitters.

For guys like Chris Young or Eric Byrnes, who popup regularly, finally connecting for homeruns only reinforces and encourages their bad habits at the plate.

You must be a lot of fun at parties. :p

OP
OP
binkar

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I am fully aware that you are saying that it can be a long term negative... I understood that the first time you said it. However, 3 HR's in one game is still a special performance in those 3 or so hours. Could it be a negative down the road? Sure. Doesn't make it any less special on that given day.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
CeeYa's 3 hr's equated to a win right? I guess not, thanks for playing.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CeeYa's 3 hr's equated to a win right? I guess not, thanks for playing.

Yup, how dare he waste them on a night when the starting pitcher gives up 6. If he were any kind of ball player he would have chosen to save them for a game where they actually meant something.

Cause, real ballplayers can do those types of things, right?

:mulli:

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
That is a painful rock!!!

I get what you are saying, but at the same time good ballplayers find ways to help their team WIN, not pop/strike out with the bases loaded or ground into a bases loaded double play. Cy has done that more times this year than our STARTING picthers have given up 6+. I say we package Eric Byrnes and his show with Cy in a trade for a a couple of ham sandwiches and maybe a cola. Maybe we can talk Seattle into sending us Felix Hernandez for those 2 and a couple days of sunshine?

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is a painful rock!!!

I get what you are saying, but at the same time good ballplayers find ways to help their team WIN, not pop/strike out with the bases loaded or ground into a bases loaded double play. Cy has done that more times this year than our STARTING picthers have given up 6+. I say we package Eric Byrnes and his show with Cy in a trade for a a couple of ham sandwiches and maybe a cola. Maybe we can talk Seattle into sending us Felix Hernandez for those 2 and a couple days of sunshine?

Nobody is denying that CY had a craptastic season, but your contorted use of logic to discredit anything positive about him is painful to read.

If you're going to make a statement about facts, then you should at least make sure they are valid, otherwise you look like you don't know what you're talking about.

CY has K'd 7 times with the bases loaded this season, he has 3 GIDP on the season. Even if we assume all those GIDP occurred with bases loaded, his 10 total K's and GIDP don't add up to more than the 17 times our SP has given up 6+ runs. Simply put it's a lie pulled out of your behind.

Secondly, I think anyone with any understanding of the game would agree that results at the plate with bases loaded isn't the end all be all of measuring production from a player. Otherwise we'd be led to believe that Mark Reynolds has had a horrible season (0 hits with the bases loaded and 4 K's) and that Chris Snyder (1.667 OPS with the bases loaded) has had a better season than Miguel Montero (.594 OPS with the bases loaded).

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
OK, you win. I will praise Chris Young for helping his team be in contention, for the number 1 over all pick. Look the guy has 1 great year and people crown him as the next Willie Mays, he signs a fat deal, gets his cars, house, clothes, women, and fame. Then he dissapears. I am sorry if I have no respect for what he does in a meaningless game. 3hr's great maybe AJ Hinch should make him play in a winter league somewhere, the guy needs to play baseball all the time to even be a serviceable major league hitter. I am sorry if you are OK with mediocraty, I for one am not. We deserve to have a winning team, I spend money on D-Bags gear, tickets, among other things, including $8 beers and $10 hotdogs. I am not a Cubs fan and I will not support lower tier talent on a lower tier team. They are getting paid a hefty amount of money to play baseball. For the money CY is making I could hit below .200 in the majors. Ok rip me to shreds call me a hater blah blah blah. Message boards are a place to vent, and I am venting on one of the top 5 worst decisions in D-Bags history. I would put Richie Sexon at 1, 2, 3, and 4. Dont get me wrong, he isnt the only one taking the blame from me, but this is a CY thread.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK, you win. I will praise Chris Young for helping his team be in contention, for the number 1 over all pick. Look the guy has 1 great year and people crown him as the next Willie Mays, he signs a fat deal, gets his cars, house, clothes, women, and fame. Then he dissapears. I am sorry if I have no respect for what he does in a meaningless game. 3hr's great maybe AJ Hinch should make him play in a winter league somewhere, the guy needs to play baseball all the time to even be a serviceable major league hitter. I am sorry if you are OK with mediocraty, I for one am not. We deserve to have a winning team, I spend money on D-Bags gear, tickets, among other things, including $8 beers and $10 hotdogs. I am not a Cubs fan and I will not support lower tier talent on a lower tier team. They are getting paid a hefty amount of money to play baseball. For the money CY is making I could hit below .200 in the majors. Ok rip me to shreds call me a hater blah blah blah. Message boards are a place to vent, and I am venting on one of the top 5 worst decisions in D-Bags history. I would put Richie Sexon at 1, 2, 3, and 4. Dont get me wrong, he isnt the only one taking the blame from me, but this is a CY thread.

Well I can't do much about your feelings of jealousy regarding a professional athlete so much that you feel the need to bag on the dude. I'd say just grow a pair, but really you have the right to do feel how you want and express it on a message board. It just tells me your opinion on things isn't worth much because you care more about your internal feelings than you do the facts.

The sense of entitlement you seem to have is probably the reason for this. "We deserve a winner". Again, while you have the right, without personally even being able to go beyond a gut feeling and not being able to offer any valuable analysis, you're obviously just looking for validation. Well, be pissed at me because I'm not giving it to you. Bring something worthwhile to the table and maybe things would be different. This whole thing started out about me calling out your facts and logic, so you make it about yourself as a last resort.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
My gripe with Chris Young, as well as Eric Byrnes, is their ongoing stubbornness. Trying to hit every ball as high as they can into the air.

Whether in foul territory (which many of theirs are) or the infield (which many are) or even the outfield, it give the fielder as much time as he needs to get to the ball. It is the lowest percentage contact in baseball.

Not accepting that the way to hit home runs is to not try on every pitch is downright ignorant.

It doesn't help the team. Especially from a couple of guys who spent a lot of time batting leadoff.

That's my gripe.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson