Chino Bandido opens July 8 at its new home in Phoenix

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chino Bandido opens July 8 at its new home in Phoenix​

Chino Bandido, a restaurant known for its combinations of Chinese, Jamaican, and Mexican flavors and that was featured on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, opens Thursday, July 8, at its new spot in Phoenix.

For 31 years, the hole-in-the-wall joint had been located in a strip mall near 19th Avenue and Greenway Road. It will now be located two miles up the road at Bell Road and Third Avenue, near the WinCo grocery store.

Owner Eve Collins, who opened the restaurant in 1990 with her late husband Frank, told ABC15 in March that the restaurant had simply outgrown its original spot.

"Each year that we opened, we had to kick another wall out," she told ABC15.

The new spot -- a new build -- has a better, more efficient kitchen, an upgraded dining room with an industrial vibe, and an outdoor patio, something the original location did not have. Though, Collins insists "it's still a hole in the wall"

Even Pancho, a 7,500-pound granite bear, made the move.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to the chandler location once because people rave about the place, I found it to be just okay.
Yeah, the Chandler location was weird. Too large a building and buried in the back of a plaza. There was always something a bit better about the original. It was more divey and kind of an experience. Food was pretty much the same at both though.

My wife and I went to the old location on their final day and we just went to the new location on their opening day. Really nice place with a huge seating area, but not too huge. A very industrial vibe inside. Same great food.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know about Chino until I started working in the Chandler area - went to the one down there. Don't get up north much.

Was somewhat near the new location Saturday so I went to it - crowded but found a seat. Got my usual, but was a bit blah about the food - beans weren't hot, rice was dry (but good) burrito was dry. Quesadilla was like I remembered.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
One of my favorite spots, and where I took my now wife on our first date. Have been to the new location once.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose