China tycoon's firm buys film studio Legendary for $3.5 billion

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
China tycoon's firm buys film studio Legendary for $3.5 billion

http://news.yahoo.com/chinas-dalian...ndary-entertainment-3-024847148--finance.html

Chinese conglomerate Dalian Wanda Group has bought U.S. film studio Legendary Entertainment for about $3.5 billion, turning its chairman into a Hollywood movie mogul as China's richest man steps up a drive to diversify his business empire overseas.

At a news conference in Beijing on Tuesday, Wanda Chairman Wang Jianlin said he plans to package Legendary, behind hits like "Jurassic World", with existing movie production assets in China and sell shares in the merged operation in an initial public offering (IPO).

The move makes Wanda the first Chinese firm to own a major Hollywood studio - a sign of the country's growing power in the global movie world, industry watchers said.

The executive gave no further details on the IPO plan, but said was acquiring Legendary Entertainment for both intellectual property reasons and the studio's movies. A person familiar with the matter told Reuters earlier this month a deal to secure a majority stake in Legendary had been agreed.

"Wanda Cinema already has made tremendous development in China, but it isn't enough," said Wang, whose personal wealth is estimated by Forbes magazine to be about $27 billion. "Movies are global, and our company certainly wants to add our voice to the world film market."

The deal is Wanda's biggest overseas acquisition ever and comes as Wang accelerates a drive to diversify a giant with 2015 revenue of $44 billion away from its core, but slowing domestic property operations. With deals to buy into everything from financial services to Spanish soccer club Atletico Madrid, Wanda said on Monday revenue rose 19 percent last year.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
A lot of interesting business items this week. Kevin Spacey's company acquired Relativity, which has generally been considered a failure up to this point. And that was a big surprise in the industry.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of interesting business items this week. Kevin Spacey's company acquired Relativity, which has generally been considered a failure up to this point. And that was a big surprise in the industry.

Ah..I guess I had not paid attention to just Relativity projects. I just remember seeing their name from time to time when a movie opens.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Interesting sell and buy. Legendary has quite a decent asset library and I'm surprised Tull sold.

Maybe he's looking at doing what Lucas did and sell while it's hot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson