Chase Edmonds

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't get this pick. Like Harry said, "Cardinals should have kept Kerwynn Williams. Don't understand why they didn't at least make an attempt to keep KW?

Do we know that they didn't?

Perhaps KW saw a better opportunity with what KC is putting together over what the Cards have going on. Looking for more touches and a more secure position on the roster? More $$$ than what the Cards wanted to spend???

Best of luck to KW---he gave it his all when called upon.

Wellthatsjustfine

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Literally zero evidence = double the college production. Chase has a much higher upside and we have him for 4 years. KW had severe limitations and there's no reason not to replace him, he's a dime a dozen rb. We know what he is. Every RB is as good as KW so of course we know Chase will be at least that.
This is honestly one of the dumber posts I’ve read in quite sone time. Either you don’t watch Cardinal football or you don’t comprehend what you watch.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Came on ...kerwynn Williams cant be compared to Edmonds
Edmonds is a project but to me he looks like a 3downs player, with thick body/adequate strength and nice quickness
Wiliams is a 5'7'' 185lb rb with good burst and agility but couldnt break a tackle, very limited rb and with zero blocking skills
Edmonds is 2 inch taller 20lb heavier and looks like a complete back

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The impression I'm getting is that the kid is really smart and checks all the high character boxes they're looking for. I think he'll pick up the system quickly. Whether he can stay healthy or learn to block or quit dancing is a different story.

When asked if Edmonds had a similar skillset to TJ Logan, Keim said Logan is more straight line explosive, but Edmonds has great lateral cut ability. I guess it's a fine line between one man's dancing and one man's lateral cut ability.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here's KW pro stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillKe05.htm

Here's KW college stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/kerwynn-williams-1.html

Here's Chase Edmonds college stats:

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=241627

KW played last year with damaged ribs and gave us a needed running game. Even with last year's reduced production, he still has a 4.5 yd/carry career average.

Look for Andy Reid to make good use of what he can do---and not bang him into the line.

Scroll down to the section on 'Transactions' to see the extent of the Yo-Yo KW went through with the Cards. No wonder he signed with KC and a chance to be on a roster.

Edmonds put up good numbers in college---maybe to the point of being overused and has some mileage on his tires. Hope Edmonds can do as well if not better than KW.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The impression I'm getting is that the kid is really smart and checks all the high character boxes they're looking for. I think he'll pick up the system quickly. Whether he can stay healthy or learn to block or quit dancing is a different story.

When asked if Edmonds had a similar skillset to TJ Logan, Keim said Logan is more straight line explosive, but Edmonds has great lateral cut ability. I guess it's a fine line between one man's dancing and one man's lateral cut ability.
Learning when to dance and when to go straight ahead will be key if he can figure out the NFL.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The big difference right now is that KW performed at the NFL level whereas it is a question mark concerning Edmonds. KW would bang it into the line (as small as he was). He also showed that he wanted to play based on his repeated Yo-Yo treatment from being cut to the practice squad to the active roster. He stuck with it and performed well when called upon.

When Cards let KW go I thought it was a signal that they were going after a bigger back to replace him and back-up DJ. Then they draft a smaller back???

Of course, that is all water under the bridge. I'll be cheering on Edmonds to make the final roster and be a productive part of the Cards.

Can't you basically insert any and every rookie name here? None of them have performed at the NFL level, yet are all drafted/signed to replace veterans that have performed at an NFL level.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can't you basically insert any and every rookie name here? None of them have performed at the NFL level, yet are all drafted/signed to replace veterans that have performed at an NFL level.

Yes. That's why I was all in for Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, and Bradford as our replacement QBs instead of trading multiple picks to trade to the top. (SK showed his stuff by getting a QB but also did not trade away multiple drafts.)

When you consider that over 50% of the guys drafted will wash out, a player that has performed at the NFL level gets extra credit (from me). That young vet has gotten over the many hurdles to both make a roster and stick. They got an NFL contract and finally got some money in their pockets but continue to play for more. We got some real numbers at the NFL level whereas a rook is an educated guess as to how they will bring their college performance to the NFL level. That educated guess extends to even the very top prospects and picks.

Of course there are some talents that are like cream and rise to the top---but there are just as many that sour instead. That said, I want to keep our top picks (1-3) to go for the chance at rookie gold and fill out the roster with proven young vets or old dudes on a one-year prove-it deal.

Don't know if you remember George Allen of the Redskins---he was known for his 'Over the Hill' Gang and would routinely trade picks for vets. I'm not to his extreme---but I see the value in that approach.

That's my perspective and you could make a good argument against it. With the Cards looking at a large turnover next year combined with lots of cap space, I expect to see plenty of FA vets on the team this time next year.

So, what is your approach to developing the roster???

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Missed this on my previous response.

Here’s the FCS numbers including speed.

https://herosports.com/nfl-draft/2018-nfl-combine-fcs-football-workout-results-measurements-byby

Edmonds is more quick than fast. Watch some tape and you’ll see he routinely gets run down in the secondary. Of course that means he got there. When teams talked with him he thought his best fit was at slot receiver. BTW Tony Pauline says there were 18 teams at Pro Day.

I don’t question his athletic skills. His balance and agility are excellent. When he hits the hole he gains yardage. Some like his use of blockers. My view is different. I think he follows them to a fault. If the hole is even partly closed he dances. Teams that stopped him found they could string him out at the line and he’d hesitate and bounce. In the NFL I don’t think he’s quick & fast enough to bounce outside. He’ll look okay in the preseason when not playing against the first team. So don’t get falsely excited about his talent.

He has moves in the open field and can break some tackles, but again at the pro level breaking them will be harder. He has good hands, but Logan should be the third down small back. His selection did cause me to wonder if the Cards are confident Logan is healthy. I thought it weird his injury was season ending.

The other major concern about using him on passing downs is he’s terrible at protecting the QB. For a guy who’s agile and supposedly loves contact, he looks shy in this role. This is a major concern with the Cards’ QBs. The whole slot receiver thing also really makes me wonder if he’s physical enough to be an NFL back.

At best he’s a role player. I think there were more polished backs still on the board. If Johnson is hurt, I don’t see him as a replacement. He’s awfully far from being an NFL ready back.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If he’s better than KW I’ll be thrilled. And shocked. Should’ve kept Kerwynn.

You'll be shocked? Really? The unconditional love for KW on here is baffling to me. He had all of 400 yards on 3.6 YPC. I wouldn't be at all shocked if a guy with Edmunds' physical ability outperforms that.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Two things:
1. I've seen videos of a number of our UDFA's, from really small schools, but can't find anything on Chase, other than a combine tape. Is Harry the only poster who has seen tape on him?
2. The Cardinals' coaches/scouts reps are on the line, along with Harry's. Who will be praised or ridiculed?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I stand corrected. Found a video, in the other Chase Edmonds thread, of the Fordham-Navy game, which was won big by Navy, as expected. No real long runs by Chase, but there were a couple of pretty good runs, with no big holes opened. Also, I was surprised by his willingness to stick his nose in on pass pro. Is he worth a fourth round pick, I have no idea, but I am a little excited by him.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Well if it's worth anything the last RB to come out of Harrisburg Pa was one LeSean McCoy. Of course McCoy played for Bishop McDevitt, a school that was vying for the state championship every year while Edmonds played for CD East which challenged for last place each year in their conference. One gets you noticed a lot while the other gets you basically nothing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes. That's why I was all in for Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, and Bradford as our replacement QBs instead of trading multiple picks to trade to the top. (SK showed his stuff by getting a QB but also did not trade away multiple drafts.)

When you consider that over 50% of the guys drafted will wash out, a player that has performed at the NFL level gets extra credit (from me). That young vet has gotten over the many hurdles to both make a roster and stick. They got an NFL contract and finally got some money in their pockets but continue to play for more. We got some real numbers at the NFL level whereas a rook is an educated guess as to how they will bring their college performance to the NFL level. That educated guess extends to even the very top prospects and picks.

Of course there are some talents that are like cream and rise to the top---but there are just as many that sour instead. That said, I want to keep our top picks (1-3) to go for the chance at rookie gold and fill out the roster with proven young vets or old dudes on a one-year prove-it deal.

Don't know if you remember George Allen of the Redskins---he was known for his 'Over the Hill' Gang and would routinely trade picks for vets. I'm not to his extreme---but I see the value in that approach.

That's my perspective and you could make a good argument against it. With the Cards looking at a large turnover next year combined with lots of cap space, I expect to see plenty of FA vets on the team this time next year.

So, what is your approach to developing the roster???

But if you look at the history of free agency, players rarely match the production with their second team that they produced with their first.

It's all a crap shoot. Look at all the players the Cardinals have brought in over the years and very few have been as good. Keep your own guys first and develop rookies. That should be any teams model. Use free agency for targeted shortfalls and that's it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I stand corrected. Found a video, in the other Chase Edmonds thread, of the Fordham-Navy game, which was won big by Navy, as expected. No real long runs by Chase, but there were a couple of pretty good runs, with no big holes opened. Also, I was surprised by his willingness to stick his nose in on pass pro. Is he worth a fourth round pick, I have no idea, but I am a little excited by him.

I thought he looked good on that tape, but his team as a whole was overmatched. I don't know why Fordham put so much of their chances of winning on that QB, he was hot garbage.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm still wondering which star back that Keim thinks he's similar to? Emmit Smith? Similar size/build, though Edmonds times a lot faster.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm still wondering which star back that Keim thinks he's similar to? Emmit Smith? Similar size/build, though Edmonds times a lot faster.

As crazy as it sounds I think they may be thinking Barry sanders. Keim has emphasized his lateral quickness, and ability to stay balanced multiple times.

Last edited: