Chase Edmonds

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I wish I could be more positive here. People I deal with also didn’t like him this early or not at all. I know some have not liked my negativity since round 1. I’m just posting what I feel. Statistically the guy seems fine, but film on him shows some big concerns. First the good stuff. He’s aggressive and can break tackles. Some think he’s like K Williams, who the Cards should have kept. He’s a good teammate and as far as I can tell and has no off the field issues. His hands are fine so he can play on third down.

Sadly there are a great many more concerns. He’s terrible in QB protection. He has zero technique. He’s also a dancer at the line of scrimmage. He does not hit holes quickly. This is an extremely hard flaw to correct. He does not have the game speed to run away from second level tacklers. Edmonds is fragile. He has missed many games and at the All Star game he quickly injured an ankle. He would play hurt, but his injuries are often too disabling.

I’m sure this guy was popular on sleepers list. The Cards should have let him sleep.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I wish I could be more positive here. People I deal with also didn’t like him this early or not at all. I know some have not liked my negativity since round 1. I’m just posting what I feel. Statistically the guy seems fine, but film on him shows some big concerns. First the good stuff. He’s aggressive and can break tackles. Some think he’s like K Williams, who the Cards should have kept. He’s a good teammate and as far as I can tell and has no off the field issues. His hands are fine so he can play on third down.

Sadly there are a great many more concerns. He’s terrible in QB protection. He has zero technique. He’s also a dancer at the line of scrimmage. He does not hit holes quickly. This is an extremely hard flaw to correct. He does not have the game speed to run away from second level tacklers. Edmonds is fragile. He has missed many games and at the All Star game he quickly injured an ankle. He would play hurt, but his injuries are often too disabling.

I’m sure this guy was popular on sleepers list. The Cards should have let him sleep.

there was better value to be had for sure... like the TE Dallas just drafted...

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree with you. SK has come back with a reach at the least. Many RB's available that would have been better. Bad pick.

raptor100

Rookie
Reaction score
I agree that the pick was disappointing. I think that they will draft a TE and I think they like Fumagalli from Wisky.

Have no idea about the Crosby big drop.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Definately confusing.Surely there has to be a solid offensive tackle or TE or CB who could have been drafted instead.Not knocking Edmonds but why now?

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Not gonna pretend I know anything about this kid... but...

If we are under the impression Keim was going BPA, and I think he basically said as much. How is this guy rated that high on their board in round 4? I was hoping we werent going to see Keim try to "outsmart" everyone with his pick in the 3rd or 4th, like he always tries to do. Looks like he tried to do it again.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definately confusing.Surely there has to be a solid offensive tackle or TE or CB who could have been drafted instead.Not knocking Edmonds but why now?
Makes me wonder: What does SK know about the kid that we don't know? Is he faster than his estimated 4.6 time? Harry, did you watch any 2016 tape on him? Or the 2017 "injury" tape? (i.e. 2 different years/2 different players?)

I wasn't crazy about the pick (especially if Logan has fully recovered). I just don't believe that our people deliberately make bad picks. Careers don't last very long when you do that. So I just am wondering out loud - what are they thinking? Why do they think it? Whom do they rely on for their info?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not gonna pretend I know anything about this kid... but...

If we are under the impression Keim was going BPA, and I think he basically said as much. How is this guy rated that high on their board in round 4? I was hoping we werent going to see Keim try to "outsmart" everyone with his pick in the 3rd or 4th, like he always tries to do. Looks like he tried to do it again.
I just think these teams have a different level of exposure to these prospects that the fans and the media just don't have. I don't think this is about trying to "outsmart" anyone, but simply building their board around all the information that they have. Also I am hearing the RB coach has worked with Edmonds and was very impressed by him.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dances at the line and poor blitz pickup.

Now where did I read that?

Oh, I remember; that's what was written about David Johnson.

Like David, he'll learn or find a 9/5 job.

At worst, I think we have a more talented Kerwynn Williams.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Makes me wonder: What does SK know about the kid that we don't know? Is he faster than his estimated 4.6 time? Harry, did you watch any 2016 tape on him? Or the 2017 "injury" tape? (i.e. 2 different years/2 different players?)

I wasn't crazy about the pick (especially if Logan has fully recovered). I just don't believe that our people deliberately make bad picks. Careers don't last very long when you do that. So I just am wondering out loud - what are they thinking? Why do they think it? Whom do they rely on for their info?

interestingly enough... every player the Cards drafted this year they had in for visits. might be a case where "organizational fit" carried more weight than "overall talent"

used to the Cards never drafted the guys they brought in....

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Final time, this RB pick blows. Big time.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
If he can be taught and learns (can't get much better than learning from DJ) it could be a good pick. That being said I would think we would have been able to find a decent O-lineman or CB..then again I don't know much about the talent this far into the draft

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I think everyone should watch at least three or four games of each of our draft picks and then come back with honest assessments. That's what I plan to do. I have not watched any of this picks games yet, but he has some pretty awesome stats and he looked good at the combine.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because you can draft a rb in late rounds who is at minimum as good as KW, likely much better, and have him under contact 4 years at a tiny salary.

but a) you don't know he'll be as good as KW b) there's literally zero evidence to show he'll be better c) KW wasn't exactly breaking the bank with minimum league salaries, never even breaking 700K once in his career.

and the fourth round isn't exactly a late round pick. it's square in the middle of the draft.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
but a) you don't know he'll be as good as KW b) there's literally zero evidence to show he'll be better c) KW wasn't exactly breaking the bank with minimum league salaries, never even breaking 700K once in his career.

and the fourth round isn't exactly a late round pick. it's square in the middle of the draft.

Literally zero evidence = double the college production. Chase has a much higher upside and we have him for 4 years. KW had severe limitations and there's no reason not to replace him, he's a dime a dozen rb. We know what he is. Every RB is as good as KW so of course we know Chase will be at least that.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Yes, quite a bit of tape and I asked around. Everyone says athletically talented, but loves to dance. The speed of the NFL is what usually catches these guys. They outmaneuver 1 guy but by then a handful have arrived. It’s sometimes correctable but not always or easily. I also don’t like him that early. Several decent backs on the board; no urgency.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The big difference right now is that KW performed at the NFL level whereas it is a question mark concerning Edmonds. KW would bang it into the line (as small as he was). He also showed that he wanted to play based on his repeated Yo-Yo treatment from being cut to the practice squad to the active roster. He stuck with it and performed well when called upon.

When Cards let KW go I thought it was a signal that they were going after a bigger back to replace him and back-up DJ. Then they draft a smaller back???

Of course, that is all water under the bridge. I'll be cheering on Edmonds to make the final roster and be a productive part of the Cards.