Chargers waive CB-Tay Cody

Mrospi

Reaction score
Maybe they had to do it.... Boston threatened not to play unless they add his girlfriend & pharmacist to the team!!!!:wave:

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's been cut therefore we must sign him :confused:

Who is he ?
Why was he cut ?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by azcardsfan1616
I guess the cards think otherwise, goss was released.

Yeah, I know. Not that they are making a huge mistake in the short run doing that, I just think the kid can be a player. I thought they may try and bring him back to the PS but I haven't heard they have or were going to try to.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Yeah, I know. Not that they are making a huge mistake in the short run doing that, I just think the kid can be a player. I thought they may try and bring him back to the PS but I haven't heard they have or were going to try to.

That could be so since they dropped moore from the PS.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see who does go to the practice squad.

At the moment I'm thinking that maybe Moore was cut as a result of D. Johnson starting to show some decent signs of improvement now.

I still would liked to have seen Rhett Nelson kept on the practice squad. Especially now with our CB situation.

Goss would seem the most logical choice at the moment.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Originally posted by nidan
Who is he? Why was he cut ?

Nidan:

According to local reports, Tay Cody was beaten out for a starting CB job opposite Quentin Jammer by first-rounder Sammy Davis. San Diego Sports Town, 9/02:

>>The Chargers filled their last available starting job Tuesday when rookie Sammy Davis was selected to play CB ahead of Tay Cody. The first round draft pick was impressive in his final two exhibition games, while Cody was sidelined. Davis had two INTs in preseason action. Cody was thought to be an endangered species this summer, but was impressive early in training camp.<<

Cody was drafted out of Florida State in the 3rd round of the 2001 draft. Mel Kiper rated him among the top dozen CBs available in that class--ahead of, among others, Michael Stone, Nijrell Eason and Renaldo Hill--and had this to say:

>>While only 5-9¼, 181 pounds and lacking top recovery speed, all Cody does is show up big with the pads on. He's opportunistic, understands the position and has proven his mettle in huge games.<<

Cody started 11 games as a rookie for the Chargers, had 59 tackles, five passes defensed, two INTs. Missed most of last season on IR, after surgery for toe injury suffered against New England 9/29. Apparently, he got dinged again in preseason, and it may have cost him a starting job.

If he's healthy now, I'd have him in for a workout in a heartbeat.

WC

Last edited:

Jim O

Reaction score
Originally posted by Tangodnzr
I still would liked to have seen Rhett Nelson kept on the practice squad. Especially now with our CB situation.

As an FYI, Nelson was signed to the Minnesota practice squad last week.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
For what it's worth, here are my impressions from my draft preview:

Tay Cody 5'9" 181 4.5
All this guy does is make plays. He may be the most irritating to play against, because receivers constantly think they have him beat and he takes the ball away from them. He could play nickel back right now if anyone would give him a chance, though he has trouble with jump balls of the variety mostly thrown to the end zone. What you get with Cody is great closing speed, polished technique and the best pure instincts among the corners. This guy will make game turning plays if used the right way. He must have deep help against big receivers and not be isolated in the corner of the end zone. A team smart enough to structure that way will get a huge boost by adding this guy to their roster. He is the surest thing among the corners, but his limitations may cause him to drop.__

He certainly hasn't lived up to my billing, but I would bring him in for a look. He has a habit of making big plays at a key point in the game. He played decent last season. I am surprised they let him go for nothing.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Originally posted by Harry
(Cody) certainly hasn't lived up to my billing, but I would bring him in for a look. He has a habit of making big plays at a key point in the game. He played decent last season. I am surprised they let him go for nothing.

Harry:

You mean, "played decent" as a rookie in 2001, right? Cody was on IR most of last season.

Your draft preview comments were in line with everything else I've read/ heard about Tay Cody. I don't know why the Cards wouldn't bring this kid in for a look, unless there are lingering medical issues of which I'm unaware.

WC

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Time flys when you get old. I know he hardly played at all last year. I meant his last full season, which still sounds stupid since he had only one.

There are two kinds of speed in the game. Flat speed and catch-up speed. Some players have neither, most great players have both. Flat speed is simply running speed. Catch-up speed is like a short burst that some players seem to have. I don't know if it comes from an Adrenalin rush or just determination. You see it in great sack artists ( I know, you don't see it in the Cards), recievers coming out of breaks (like Rice and Boldin) and you see it corners. Williams was a perfect example among corners. Many times he was beat, but he seemed to surge to the ball. His flat speed was always mediocre.

Cody has catch-up speed. He is a better corner than Hill or Goss. He is also one of those corners who had made things happen when he was on the field. He is not a true solution to the Cards needs, but he is a good pickup if he can pass the physical.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Originally posted by Harry
For what it's worth, here are my impressions from my draft preview:

Tay Cody 5'9" 181 4.5
All this guy does is make plays. He may be the most irritating to play against, because receivers constantly think they have him beat and he takes the ball away from them. He could play nickel back right now if anyone would give him a chance, though he has trouble with jump balls of the variety mostly thrown to the end zone. What you get with Cody is great closing speed, polished technique and the best pure instincts among the corners. This guy will make game turning plays if used the right way. He must have deep help against big receivers and not be isolated in the corner of the end zone. A team smart enough to structure that way will get a huge boost by adding this guy to their roster. He is the surest thing among the corners, but his limitations may cause him to drop.__

He certainly hasn't lived up to my billing, but I would bring him in for a look. He has a habit of making big plays at a key point in the game. He played decent last season. I am surprised they let him go for nothing.

Sounds like a good zone guy.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Catch-up speed" as you define it Harry is all about how your muscle fibre is configured.

Some people have more "slow twitch" some have more "fast twitch", some are balanced. The relative percent can be somewhat adjusted with training.

The basic difference is how O2 gets to the muscle. For fast moves like yoiur catch up there is no time to breath it in. Consquently you get it from your body (lymphatic system I think), this is what results in the muslce cramping after over exerting your muscle for a short period. ie your body now has to restore the chemical balance through breathing.

Revovery time is also critical, ie how long does it take your body to resetablish the balance.

When talking about sacks, it's also a factor in how fast somebody can move their arms (ie shed blockers)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson