Changes on the horizon

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
bradley cut.wilson cut..snyder,rhodes,kolb,colledge re-done,dockett traded,wells traded,trade levi brown

and u save about 30 milion--considering free agents and draft then u go--dockett can be easily replaced..wilson as well...deep defensive line draft and safeties

OP
OP
G

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
bradley cut.wilson cut..snyder,rhodes,kolb,colledge re-done,dockett traded,wells traded,trade levi brown

and u save about 30 milion--considering free agents and draft then u go--dockett can be easily replaced..wilson as well...deep defensive line draft and safeties

Right. Just that simple.

OP
OP
G

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With stalwarts like Woodson and Freeney released today, I can easily imagine Wilson out the door.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think the risk-factor is less if we take the meat cleaver to the offensive side of the ball but more risky if we messed with our defense.

I'd be inclined to believe that the FO would be more inclined to part with guys like Colledge, Snyder, Beanie, LSH, Doucet, Dray and even Kolb (because our offense wasn't very good to start out with) than they'd be inclined to blow up what was a pretty good defense.

In short - I think someone like Beanie would be more expendable than a defensive player like Kerry Rhodes (who I think is underrated by many on this board).

Where it gets dicey is at LB - Do you gut the position by whacking Lenon and Bradley and risk angering the injury-jinx gods? Or do you try to avoid fixing what ain't broke?

And always lurking in the background is the issue of: "Can we replace the guy we whacked with someone better?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am very interested to see what Keim does with this offseason. I am not optimistic at all for 2013, but I am curious to see what path Keim takes because there are several different roads he can take. What he does with the QB, RB, OL, and defense in general will be very telling IMO. Decisions need to be made on Kevin Kolb, John Skelton, Ryan Lindley, Chris Wells, Daryn Colledge, Adam Snyder, Lyle Sendlein, Adrian Wilson, Kerry Rhodes, Rashad Johnson and Greg Toler.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the risk-factor is less if we take the meat cleaver to the offensive side of the ball but more risky if we messed with our defense.

I'd be inclined to believe that the FO would be more inclined to part with guys like Colledge, Snyder, Beanie, LSH, Doucet, Dray and even Kolb (because our offense wasn't very good to start out with) than they'd be inclined to blow up what was a pretty good defense.

In short - I think someone like Beanie would be more expendable than a defensive player like Kerry Rhodes (who I think is underrated by many on this board).

Where it gets dicey is at LB - Do you gut the position by whacking Lenon and Bradley and risk angering the injury-jinx gods? Or do you try to avoid fixing what ain't broke?

And always lurking in the background is the issue of: "Can we replace the guy we whacked with someone better?
no risk on defense..u just cut non factor as bradley and wilson..u trade dockett that is overpaid...a lot rookie can be more effective then him next season..resign rashard johNson

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
no risk on defense..u just cut non factor as bradley and wilson..u trade dockett that is overpaid...a lot rookie can be more effective then him next season..resign rashard johNson

I think many on this board forget how effective Dockett can be as an interior rusher in a one gap system. He is a special talent in that regard.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think many on this board forget how effective Dockett can be as an interior rusher in a one gap system. He is a special talent in that regard.

he was..a trade for a 3th round and take datone jones or gholston of michigan state

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

And how solid he really was as a two-gap player. He's a handful for most linemen in any system. Don't hate the player because his role changed, but don't expect him to take a pay cut, either.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I consider cutting A-Dub and D-Dock risky ((i.e. who will you replace them with who'd play at their level)?

Conversely, if we need to recoup $3.5 mil in cap dollars or make cap room available to sign FA's, I'd rather chop our OG's, RB's, Doucet, Dray and/or a QB or two and roll the dice that we can replace them with lower-costing, potentially better players via the draft or free agency.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
he was..a trade for a 3th round and take datone jones or gholston of michigan state

Randy Moss was had for a 4th rounder and he was in his prime. I can't imagine a team taking on Dockett's salary at his age and giving up anything higher than 4th rounder for him. A 4th rounder in this draft gets you a developmental OL, potential 3rd CB, 2 down ILB, or a #2 TE. All valuable roster players, but not worth trading Dockett for and there isn't any certainty that those picks hit.

Dockett isn't part of the problem on this team despiet the headache he can be.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And how solid he really was as a two-gap player. He's a handful for most linemen in any system. Don't hate the player because his role changed, but don't expect him to take a pay cut, either.

This as well. Especially for a "me" guy.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I consider cutting A-Dub and D-Dock risky ((i.e. who will you replace them with who'd play at their level)?

Conversely, if we need to recoup $3.5 mil in cap dollars or make cap room available to sign FA's, I'd rather chop our OG's, RB's, Doucet, Dray and/or a QB or two and roll the dice that we can replace them with lower-costing, potentially better players via the draft or free agency.

wilson ??? did u see him covering?? i love his career but its time to move on
no time for feelings if u want to be succesfull

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wilson ??? did u see him covering?? i love his career but its time to move on
no time for feelings if u want to be succesfull
We differ in opinion. I don't think A-Dub was horrible in coverage and feelmhe's got something left.

What I'd consider to be an acceptable option would be to make the starting SS spot open competition during preseasonnand give Bethel and Rashad a shot at starting - & then release A-Dub if he's not getting the job done (though I wouldn't bet this would happen).

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
My question is this team going to be a contender in 2013? What about 2014 ? Will Dockett be a factor in 2014? Everyone keeps raving about the CARDS good defense and frankly i don`t see a defense thats more than average.Its not like the 86 Bears defense or Green Bays defenses from the 1960`s.Average defense.

OP
OP
G

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My question is this team going to be a contender in 2013? What about 2014 ? Will Dockett be a factor in 2014? Everyone keeps raving about the CARDS good defense and frankly i don`t see a defense thats more than average.Its not like the 86 Bears defense or Green Bays defenses from the 1960`s.Average defense.

Define average.

The Cards 'D' gave up 18.8 pts per game in 2012.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Define average.

The Cards 'D' gave up 18.8 pts per game in 2012.

The Cards defense finished 31st in rushing attempts allowed.
28th in rushing \yards allowed.

The other teams ran on the Cards every game.The Cards only held Four opponets under 100 yards rushing all season.
A lousy run defense means the opponets don`t have to pass all the time.
Cards pass defense ranked in the top 10 because opponets shredded the Cards defense on the ground.
So calling Cards defense average is generous IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose