Changes for Next Season?

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We’re going to be fine without Paul. We aren’t going to fall of a cliff all of a sudden.

honestly I’d rather go into next season paying a guy like Lonzo Ball on a good contract than paying Paul a Kings ransom for the next 3 years. I think Lonzo fits really well with this team he offers size and defense, his shooting had gotten much better, he plays with pace and his passing is A level. I think he’s gone from being wildly overrated to highly underrated. They set him up for failure he was never going to be the next Magic for the Lakers.

No Paul is not taking less money or giving us a discount he’s not opting out to take less nobody has ever done that. Our window goes as Booker goes
I stopped reading after "We're going to be fine without Paul"...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it obviously wouldn’t be a 1-1 deal. Signing Lonzo gives you a lot of money to fill out the roster

be realistic we are signing Ayton to the Max don’t matter if you think we should or not it’s going to happen, we also need to decide what to do with Bridges.

and guys want to tie up 100 million+ for a PG who will be 39 when that deal expires. A PG who just had his lunch money taken by Jrue Holiday. All time great hall of famers don’t struggle with guys like Holiday. Matter fact he was even guarding Tucker at the end of the finals because he’s a defensive liability at this stage in his career.

this isn’t a video game where there is just an unlimited supply of money. If you pay Ayton and give Paul his money who you gonna go get that’s worth anything?

and get it out of your head He’s taking less money cause he’s not. Nobody has ever opted out and said you know what I’ll take less.

I like Paul as much as anybody and am grateful for what he brought but even the Lakers chose youth(kobe) over paying the old guy(Shaq).anever said anything about him signing for less. If we sign Paul and Ayton, one, Ayton’s extension doesn’t kick in until next year and that still leaves us with the MLE, an injury exemption for Dario at 4 million and vet minimums to add to the roster.

Man, you just projected a ton of stupid arguments I never made. So, let’s set the record straight before you continue to do so. I know we’re resigning Ayton to the Max. That money doesn’t get paid until AFTER next season. That’s how extensions works. I also know Paul’s not giving us a discount. I also think we don’t have to make a decision on Bridges this year. And to be honest, shouldn’t unless they’re favorable terms because we still control his rights as an RFA next.

So this off-season, we’re tLking about resigning Paul, and at our discretion, will be able to using the MLE, hopefully a 4 million dollar injury exception for Dario and then league minimums on hopeful ring chasers.

Paul probably has a solid two years left, and then his third year is a massive expiring contract. deciding that after getting within two games of the title that we’re done chasing that is not only a terrible basketball decision, but it sends an AWFUL message to Booker.

but if you think a pupu platter of Lonzo plus other drek like Lonzo will somehow come even CLOSE to keeping us at the same level as keeping CP3, you’re huffing glue. And if you DON’T think that group will keep us close to contention, but it will be okay because we’re flexible for “the future” and you think Booker will be fine with that, well, you must have added ether to that huff.

not to mention whether you sign CP3 to the bug money deal... or a pupu platter of guys using what we would have spent on CP3, guess what... YOU’D STILL BE SPENDING CP3 MONEY.

right now, we have the fifth best odds to win the title next year. The idea that we’d turn our back on that for a Lonzo Plus Pupu Platter is really out there. Also, who else would get in this Lonzo Pupu Platter that would keep us near in contention?

as for Kobe/Shaq, one, they shipped off Shaq because those guys flat out wouldn’t play with each other. That’s not the case here. Also, the Lakers had Shaq under contract so they could make a big trade to get assets BACK and not lose him for nothing. If CP3 is a FA, that won’t be the case here either. This team doesn’t have to choose between Paul and Ayton/Booker. So the Kobe/Shaq comparison makes no sense either.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a quick google search tells me he wanted #1 because he’s worn it his entire basketball career in high school and his other pro leagues and even has it tattooed on him.

Funny first thing I get when I google their names together after a couple of articles on Lonzo congratulating LaMelo on ROY was an article discussing Melo recruiting Lonzo on Instagram....

Fansided.com/2021/07/19/lamelo-ball-recruiting-lonzo-hornets-instagram/

Polecat

Reaction score
1Sun said:
Yes, but I read that such an extension can only be a maximum of 2 years under the Over-38 Rule, while if Paul opts out it could be up to 4 years (or 3 years from another team).

Just throwing out ideas for keeping CP3 and working the money.
assuming he gets a total of $100 million
1) CP3 opts out and we resign for 4 years
Year 1 $40 million
Year 2 $30 million
Year 3 $20 million
Year 4 $10 million
2) Year 1 $40 million
Years 2, 3, 4 $20 million

Neither idea gives us extra money next year but in years 2,3 & 4
we have the money to max out Ayton and pay Bridges and Cam Johnson

notdeadyet

Reaction score
Coach needs to show them pictures of Giannis when he first came into the NBA. Also Michael Jordan. Both took their beatings early in their playoff careers, and figured out they needed to basically live in the gym to get STRONGER. And they did. We barely survived the Lakers, who are also very big, but just wore down as the Finals against the Bucks went on. Agree we need another steady big body to help get more physical on defense. Saric could become that additional big in time, but needs to hit the gym along with Booker and Ayton, and really the whole team. Milwaukee this year had only 3 starters and 3 reserves who were Bucks the previous season when they got to the Eastern Conference Finals. They beefed up their D bigtime (Holiday, Tucker) with major trades, and it paid dividends.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
The suns had a great season. Making it to the finals blew my expectations away.

So what to do next? Ayton will get the max and Paul will be retained unless he wants out. Those two things will have to happen since viable alternatives likely do not exist. Imagine telling Booker that Paul and or Ayton are gone. The Suns have no real choice, pay those two or blow it up.

Time will tell if these are the right moves. After watching Giannis, you have to question if the superstar needed to win a championship is on our current roster. It sure did not look like it.

With our opponents next year likely being healthier we are going to need another big-time front court guy in addition to Ayton being more involved and consistent. Hopefully retaining the core guys will inspire another top player to come aboard.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, you just projected a ton of stupid arguments I never made. So, let’s set the record straight before you continue to do so. I know we’re resigning Ayton to the Max. That money doesn’t get paid until AFTER next season. That’s how extensions works. I also know Paul’s not giving us a discount. I also think we don’t have to make a decision on Bridges this year. And to be honest, shouldn’t unless they’re favorable terms because we still control his rights as an RFA next.

So this off-season, we’re tLking about resigning Paul, and at our discretion, will be able to using the MLE, hopefully a 4 million dollar injury exception for Dario and then league minimums on hopeful ring chasers.

Paul probably has a solid two years left, and then his third year is a massive expiring contract. deciding that after getting within two games of the title that we’re done chasing that is not only a terrible basketball decision, but it sends an AWFUL message to Booker.

but if you think a pupu platter of Lonzo plus other drek like Lonzo will somehow come even CLOSE to keeping us at the same level as keeping CP3, you’re huffing glue. And if you DON’T think that group will keep us close to contention, but it will be okay because we’re flexible for “the future” and you think Booker will be fine with that, well, you must have added ether to that huff.

not to mention whether you sign CP3 to the bug money deal... or a pupu platter of guys using what we would have spent on CP3, guess what... YOU’D STILL BE SPENDING CP3 MONEY.

right now, we have the fifth best odds to win the title next year. The idea that we’d turn our back on that for a Lonzo Plus Pupu Platter is really out there. Also, who else would get in this Lonzo Pupu Platter that would keep us near in contention?

as for Kobe/Shaq, one, they shipped off Shaq because those guys flat out wouldn’t play with each other. That’s not the case here. Also, the Lakers had Shaq under contract so they could make a big trade to get assets BACK and not lose him for nothing. If CP3 is a FA, that won’t be the case here either. This team doesn’t have to choose between Paul and Ayton/Booker. So the Kobe/Shaq comparison makes no sense either.
Im not projecting anything those are my takes
you are more than welcome to present your ideas for filling out this roster.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
was an article discussing Melo recruiting Lonzo on Instagram....

Fansided.com/2021/07/19/lamelo-ball-recruiting-lonzo-hornets-instagram/
Was it the first thing you got or was it after a couple articles and searching for it lol

your digging deep for that but it’s all good

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need a back up center, two PF, a guy who can at last create his own shot and a back up PG

Let’s hear some real ideas.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I believe RE-signing Paul is the only thing to do with him… however, I’d be lying if I said that doesn’t entirely thrill me. I don’t question CP3’s influence on this team, and his ability to lead and guide and mentor our young studs… but, he’ll be 37 come the playoffs next season. After watching how he broke down this year and how a player like Holiday beat him down virtually into submission, we better hope Cam Payne takes a significant leap forward, or James Jones pulls a rabbit out of his hat and acquires a more reliable back-up to Paul. Certainly, Paul will see significantly less mins in the regular season… he has to in order to ensure we have the most healthy and rested version of CP3 for our next post season run!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns bring Paul back they need a third point guard that is capable of backing up Payne oe even playing some starter minutes. In other words, Suns need two backup point guards that can play and create. Moore, Galloway and Carter are not the answer.

The Suns have to be able to protect themselves if they rest Paul or he gets a nagging injury. Can't repeat the same mistakes.

The big men can be mostly role players.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns bring Paul back they need a third point guard that is capable of backing up Payne oe even playing some starter minutes. In other words, Suns need two backup point guards that can play and create. Moore, Galloway and Carter are not the answer.

The Suns have to be able to protect themselves if they rest Paul or he gets a nagging injury. Can't repeat the same mistakes.

The big men can be mostly role players.

you think Payne is coming back? I have no doubt someone is going to pay him more than we can offer.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
If we retain Paul and CP3 is there money for another big? I wouldn't think so.

Any idea what Payne will command? 5-7m per.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you think Payne is coming back? I have no doubt someone is going to pay him more than we can offer.

I think Payne comes back unless another team overpays. Payne is not a starter. Ocassionally he can put up big numbers but not on a regular basis. Lots of back up point guards out there who can give the Suns spot minutes but they need two of them that can produce.

Also I'm hoping Chris Paul spreads out his salary enough so the Suns can bring Payne back.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Payne comes back unless another team overpays. Payne is not a starter. Ocassionally he can put up big numbers but not on a regular basis. Lots of back up point guards out there who can give the Suns spot minutes but they need two of them that can produce.

Also I'm hoping Chris Paul spreads out his salary enough so the Suns can bring Payne back.

I figure Payne in the 10-12 range and wouldn’t be surprised if someone gave him 15 and that puts him in the mid range for PG.

Scary Terry had one good playoff series and they gave him 20 a year

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe RE-signing Paul is the only thing to do with him… however, I’d be lying if I said that doesn’t entirely thrill me. I don’t question CP3’s influence on this team, and his ability to lead and guide and mentor our young studs… but, he’ll be 37 come the playoffs next season. After watching how he broke down this year and how a player like Holiday beat him down virtually into submission, we better hope Cam Payne takes a significant leap forward, or James Jones pulls a rabbit out of his hat and acquires a more reliable back-up to Paul. Certainly, Paul will see significantly less mins in the regular season… he has to in order to ensure we have the most healthy and rested version of CP3 for our next post season run!

I dont get this bashing Paul or saying hes done because Holiday made him work hard while he was already dealing with an injury. Jrue Holiday has been 1st Team All Defense twice and 2nd Team once in the last 4 years. He's not some scrub. He's legitimately a top 5 defender in this league.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont get this bashing Paul or saying hes done because Holiday made him work hard while he was already dealing with an injury. Jrue Holiday has been 1st Team All Defense twice and 2nd Team once in the last 4 years. He's not some scrub. He's legitimately a top 5 defender in this league.

all time greats don’t struggle with Jrue Holiday period. It’s not that he made him work it’s that he dominated him at points.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
They need to add a banger since it’s unlikely Ayton will all of a sudden start playing with an aggressive attitude.

Magic is already lobbying Paul to sign with the Lakers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need to add a banger since it’s unlikely Ayton will all of a sudden start playing with an aggressive attitude.

I agree about the banger part in plural. Players like Bobby Portis.

The Suns starters are solid but they need more 4/5s that can play when teams go big.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all time greats don’t struggle with Jrue Holiday period. It’s not that he made him work it’s that he dominated him at points.

Holiday got away with lots of fouls not that this is going to change. Without fouling Holiday cannot do this. Except Holiday's fouls were not as blatantly obvious as Beverley.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Holiday got away with lots of fouls not that this is going to change. Without fouling Holiday cannot do this. Except Holiday's fouls were not as blatantly obvious as Beverley.

hes a physical guy. It’s the finals

the refs ain’t why Paul struggled

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Beverley is a decent defender but much of what he does is dirty, Holiday just plays the game the way it used to be officiated not so many years ago. After last year's playoffs and this postseason, I'm guessing the pendulum is swinging back to a more physical game. So we need to adjust, with the players we have and with the players we try to bring in.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Magic is already lobbying Paul to sign with the Lak

name me an all star Magic hasn’t predicted going to the Lakers. He’s a clown

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I said the Holiday gets away with fouling. He has a reputation of playing physical. Paul or Booker would get called for fouls on the same type of plays.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It wasn't all because of Holiday either. The refs allowed Jrue to play him physically but CP3 used to shine when that happened - he's no longer quick enough to make Holiday pay for it. He has to be able to get a little separation from Jrue to put the holding and bumping under the spotlight. But the real problem was Paul's defense and that looked to be more because of his arm injuries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose