Changes for Next Season?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's ok. I don't think he's really what we need defensively though.

It's all about the price tag. Bantum would be a rotation player. Can't have too many of those.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I said that. And I agree we need better big man depth. But we don't have a lot of assets to play around with. I'm just contesting the idea that we should just pack it in if we can't get two perfect big men to fill out the roster.

I think we add a big in the next week or so and another big man in February or March. Neither move is likely to make us the favorites, they'll just give us a chance to see the finals again.
Nobody is saying we should pack it in. However, we can't stand pat. We simply can't. I only mention this because there are some people that feel we don't need to make any changes. I just don't see things being easier or the same in terms of getting back. Most teams don't get back. That's all I am saying. Our 93 team thought we would be back. I just don't want to see the Suns fall into that trap. I don't think they will. I think we will be aggressive.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody is saying we should pack it in. However, we can't stand pat. We simply can't. I only mention this because there are some people that feel we don't need to make any changes. I just don't see things being easier or the same in terms of getting back. Most teams don't get back. That's all I am saying. Our 93 team thought we would be back. I just don't want to see the Suns fall into that trap. I don't think they will. I think we will be aggressive.

I haven't seen anyone suggest we stand pat. We are improving. Our starting 5 will be the same. We've improved our guard depth already with Shamet. If we bring back Payne then our backcourt is set. Adding Dieng to backup Ayton is an improvement also. He's a legit 5 in the league. So adding another combo forward for depth to backup Crowder and Mikal with Cam J is improving. It may not be sexy and grow the fan base but those are all solid moves that make us better.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

not only that but the 93 was super aggressive in FA as well, getting AC Green who was the number 1 FA that off-season. Then they went super aggressive the next off-season getting Danny Manning on the under the table deal.

standing pat would be pretty disappointing. We did get some good breaks this year on the road to the Finals. Now, those breaks will actually continue next season because I don’t think Kawhi or Murray come back this season, but we need to get better than we were last season to get back to the Finals.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone suggest we stand pat. We are improving. Our starting 5 will be the same. We've improved our guard depth already with Shamet. If we bring back Payne then our backcourt is set. Adding Dieng to backup Ayton is an improvement also. He's a legit 5 in the league. So adding another combo forward for depth to backup Crowder and Mikal with Cam J is improving. It may not be sexy and grow the fan base but those are all solid moves that make us better.

Exactly. All the Suns have to do is keep their core and make solid additions to their roster.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I'd like to keep Craig or even Nader for the minimum. I guess I'm missing all the McDermott talk except on this forum.

The Suns really need only about three pieces plus minimum type players. They were very close last season even with Saric not playing well.
Put me on the Craig bandwagon if we can keep him. He became a family favorite player in my household. There’s been mutual interest in from both Craig and the team since last offseason. He can fill a lot of holes coming off the bench.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's 3 rebounds in 24 minutes. There is no reason to exagerate.

I mean, yeah he is not a four. Can you get away with playing him at the four in the regular season - probably. But if we want to win in the playoffs it doesn't make a lot of sense.

6 rebounds per 48 minutes is poor for a small forward, let alone a power forward.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Nicolas Batum? He could be a Robert Horry-ish PF for this team. Good outside shooter. Has size. Not the best rebounder but a smart big who can stretch the floor.
Fairly good defender too. Has bulked up in recent years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put me on the Craig bandwagon if we can keep him. He became a family favorite player in my household. There’s been mutual interest in from both Craig and the team since last offseason. He can fill a lot of holes coming off the bench.

If the Suns can afford Craig, I'm all for it because he had to play all three positions front court postions for the team this past season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm referring to the several posts that claim our season failure is foreordained if we only re-sign our PGs and add a lower tier backup big man. We'd all like a hell of a lot more than that but we only have so much to work with.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6 rebounds per 48 minutes is poor for a small forward, let alone a power forward.
It depends on the type of small forward. If you have them setting up on the perimeter all the time, something has gone wrong if they are racking up rebounds. Besides, individual rebound stats in the NBA might be the most meaningless stat out there. Although granted it might become very meaningful if your team is getting out-rebounded regularly.

But to be clear, I'm NOT on a quest to bring in McDermott. I just don't think it's as bad as some have made it out to be.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It depends on the type of small forward. If you have them setting up on the perimeter all the time, something has gone wrong if they are racking up rebounds. Besides, individual rebound stats in the NBA might be the most meaningless stat out there. Although granted it might become very meaningful if your team is getting out-rebounded regularly.

But to be clear, I'm NOT on a quest to bring in McDermott. I just don't think it's as bad as some have made it out to be.

Irrelevant, anyway, as the Spurs overpaid for him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Irrelevant, anyway, as the Spurs overpaid for him.
14 million per year for 3 years? That's not good news for those of us hoping we'll add a decent big man, which will likely cost more than an average small forward. It should also raise some concern about the market for our free agents (Payne and Craig).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
14 million per year for 3 years? That's not good news for those of us hoping we'll add a decent big man, which will likely cost more than an average small forward. It should also raise some concern about the market for our free agents (Payne and Craig).

Why, bigs we absolutely could use, like the Greens, Noel, Olynyk and Portis, are flying off the board to lesser teams for the MLE or less.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is why we need to re-sign Payne if he will take $10 million per season, fill in the holes at the 4 and the 5 with free agents, and call it a day. It's also why it would have been nice to use Carter's salary slot to fill one of the holes at the 4 and the 5.
You wanted to pay Payne $10M/year. Crappy Ass GM Jones got him for 3/$19M

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You wanted to pay Payne $10M/year. Crappy Ass GM Jones got him for 3/$19M

And I gave him his due credit for that and the CP3 deal. He seems to do fine with wings and guards and seems to have difficulty with respect to 4s and 5s

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I gave him his due credit for that and the CP3 deal. He seems to do fine with wings and guards and seems to have difficulty with respect to 4s and
So your argument is that GMs have weaknesses by position.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So your argument is that GMs have weaknesses by position.

Not in general, but you have to admit that a lot of James Jones' gaffes have involved moves he has made and hasn't made with respect to big men.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in general, but you have to admit that a lot of James Jones' gaffes have involved moves he has made and hasn't made with respect to big men.
Dude....quality big men are a premium in the NBA. MOST teams struggle to find them. What are you talking about?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dude....quality big men are a premium in the NBA. MOST teams struggle to find them. What are you talking about?

Other teams seem to be having a much easier time bringing in quality bigs. Heck, Denver signed TWO today.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other teams seem to be having a much easier time bringing in quality bigs. Heck, Denver signed TWO today.
Out of how many teams? You seem to think quality big men grow on trees in the NBA.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose