CFB & Prospect Discussion Thread:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is a good snap by snap break down of Anderson vs Darnell Wright. I'd draft Wright round 2 if he's there and move him to guard. He definitely holds his own against Anderson, but I'd argue, Anderson should be in a two point stance a lot more.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It’s interesting, the last two tweets have touted this years crop of edge and tightends. Where did keim spend our top three picks last year? Edge and tightend. How do mcbride, Thomas and sanders comp to this years crops? If they are considered worse prospects it shows a real lack of longterm foresight on Keim’s part.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It’s interesting, the last two tweets have touted this years crop of edge and tightends. Where did keim spend our top three picks last year? Edge and tightend. How do mcbride, Thomas and sanders comp to this years crops? If they are considered worse prospects it shows a real lack of longterm foresight on Keim’s part.
Well you can't assume that a crop will end up being good.

We've sat back before a college season before and said "Six QBs might go in the first round next year" only to have two go in the first round. I think you fill roster weaknesses as you can, and if you are always waiting until next year to fill major holes, you'll end up sucking more often than not.

McBride looked pretty good by the end of the year and both Cam Thomas and Myjai Sanders looked to be at least rotational quality edge. I'd argue that you want more than just two edge players if you really want to rush the passer consistently. I always liked how the Giants used to have like 4-5 guys who could rush the passer on their roster at all times.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Edges would be third round this year too. There would be more polished players earlier in the draft, but there were last year too though not as many. McBride would be a high second.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Who can forget Joe Kane's performance against Georgia Tech. He was something special. Heisman finalist that year.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well you can't assume that a crop will end up being good.

We've sat back before a college season before and said "Six QBs might go in the first round next year" only to have two go in the first round. I think you fill roster weaknesses as you can, and if you are always waiting until next year to fill major holes, you'll end up sucking more often than not.

McBride looked pretty good by the end of the year and both Cam Thomas and Myjai Sanders looked to be at least rotational quality edge. I'd argue that you want more than just two edge players if you really want to rush the passer consistently. I always liked how the Giants used to have like 4-5 guys who could rush the passer on their roster at all times.
That happens with QBs all the time but I think it’s less prevalent with other projections. It’s not a total damnation event for keim, but I do think it shows a lack of foresight.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Edges would be third round this year too. There would be more polished players earlier in the draft, but there were last year too though not as many. McBride would be a high second.
That’s all good to know. Thanks Harry!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That happens with QBs all the time but I think it’s less prevalent with other projections. It’s not a total damnation event for keim, but I do think it shows a lack of foresight.
That happens with all positions. What if Anderson had been hurt and decided to go back for his last year of eligibility? This draft would look weaker because Anderson is the only true blue chip edge. Guys like Tyree Wilson are the next tier, but we'd all be talking about this edge class as having a lot of good edge prospects but no Aidan Hutchinson caliber player.

It shows a lack of foresight if you only need two edge players, which is categorically false.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That happens with all positions. What if Anderson had been hurt and decided to go back for his last year of eligibility? This draft would look weaker because Anderson is the only true blue chip edge. Guys like Tyree Wilson are the next tier, but we'd all be talking about this edge class as having a lot of good edge prospects but no Aidan Hutchinson caliber player.

It shows a lack of foresight if you only need two edge players, which is categorically false.
It really doesn’t happen as often with other positions. Two years ago everyone was saying the following draft was going to be a good receiver draft and -voila- last year was a great receiver draft. Losing a single player from a draft, like your example, doesn’t change that it just slightly downgrades it. You would have to have a bunch of projections disappoint and get injured in the same season which again happens more at the QB position than most others.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It really doesn’t happen as often with other positions. Two years ago everyone was saying the following draft was going to be a good receiver draft and -voila- last year was a great receiver draft. Losing a single player from a draft, like your example, doesn’t change that it just slightly downgrades it. You would have to have a bunch of projections disappoint and get injured in the same season which again happens more at the QB position than most others.
It's just not true that you can project things out. Players get hurt. Players you think will come out, don't. You're just looking for things to criticize.

Cam Thomas and Myjai Sanders showed good stuff this year, and they we good picks last year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Interesting from Matt Miller on 1st round grades

No Ringo (seeing him drop with a lot of people) and only DT is Carter.

Only 20 with first round grades is interesting. I wonder how that compares historically?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's just not true that you can project things out. Players get hurt. Players you think will come out, don't. You're just looking for things to criticize.

Cam Thomas and Myjai Sanders showed good stuff this year, and they we good picks last year.
I’m really not “looking for things to criticize.” Keim’s gone. I don’t need to find arguments to oust him. That just caught my eye. The same has been discussed in the past, taking an inferior talent early at a position due to need when the next year is projected to be loaded at that position. It’s not a certainty but a GM who fails to take that into consideration isn’t exploring all the data.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Also, it wasn’t a criticism of the players we chose, it was an observation with a question. If you recall I literally asked where the guys we drafted would fall talentwise in this draft. Harry said they would’ve likely gone in exactly the same (or close) places. That provided me comfort that it wasn’t an error making those picks when keim did. Still doesn’t make it worse if keim ignored the projection of 2023.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Yeah, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the latter, and though I was okay with the former pick, I didn't foresee either one doing much this season. Glad to be wrong for once. If only our idiot DC had played them more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose