Celtics @ Suns Monday game thread 11-18-19

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boston faces the Suns on Monday after the Kings broke their 10 game winning streak in Sacramento on Sunday 100-99.

The Celtics are 10-2, 5-2 away while the Suns are 7-4, 5-3 home.

Suns are coming off a 128-112 win over the Hawks at home on Thursday.

Game time is 7 p.m. MST.

It will be televised on FSAZ.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am looking forward to this one. I've only watched three Boston games, but they really didn't look as good as their record indicates. They like to trap the primary ball handler and then use their long wings to go after those passes out of the traps. They did that to Luka, he turned it over a few times, but he did a good job overall. Rest of the team couldn't hit threes. I think as long as Rubio is handling the ball and the rest of the guys are hitting open threes, Suns will be OK. They just need to play defense and be ready for the traps on the other end of the floor.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope Baynes comes out like a man possessed. He probably can also provide as good a scouting report as imaginable.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I have a weird feeling that Kemba may kill us tonight.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am looking forward to this one. I've only watched three Boston games, but they really didn't look as good as their record indicates. They like to trap the primary ball handler and then use their long wings to go after those passes out of the traps. They did that to Luka, he turned it over a few times, but he did a good job overall. Rest of the team couldn't hit threes. I think as long as Rubio is handling the ball and the rest of the guys are hitting open threes, Suns will be OK. They just need to play defense and be ready for the traps on the other end of the floor.

I feel like that Celtics aren't as good as their record indicates too.

Kemba in the lost to the kings went for 15 points and 0-3 from 3pt land. He's streaky from 3pt land.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the Heat were a problem.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Monty Williams spotlighted 1-on-1 defense against the Celtics. That was an area he emphasized before the loss against Miami and said was an issue after. Similar team in terms of versatility offensively.

10:14 AM - 18 Nov 2019

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I feel like that Celtics aren't as good as their record indicates too.

Kemba in the lost to the kings went for 15 points and 0-3 from 3pt land. He's streaky from 3pt land.

He is very streaky, but when he is on, he is on. He destroyed the Mavs in one of the games I watched. They really don't have much depth now that Hayward is out. They are especially thin in the paint.

EDIT: On the flip side, I am a little worries about the two big wings they play. Tatum and Brown can be dangerous when they get going. I wonder if we will see a lot of Oubre and Bridges matching up with those two a lot tonight.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are pretty much what our record says we are. We are better than the teams we have beaten--save the Clippers and maybe the Sixers. We are not as good as the teams that have beaten us--except maybe Miami. But we are competitive with all of them.

So if our record tells us anything, it says that we will lose to Boston tonight. If we have a hot night, we can win. If Boston slips a little, we can win. But a normal night for both teams probably leads to a Boston win.

Go Suns.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are pretty much what our record says we are. We are better than the teams we have beaten--save the Clippers and maybe the Sixers. We are not as good as the teams that have beaten us--except maybe Miami. But we are competitive with all of them.

So if our record tells us anything, it says that we will lose to Boston tonight. If we have a hot night, we can win. If Boston slips a little, we can win. But a normal night for both teams probably leads to a Boston win.

Go Suns.

We didn't have Ayton, so it's tough to say how we would have done if we were at full strength considering how close the games were with Nuggets, Jazz and Lakers. Clippers didn't have PG, the Heat were just on fire and we weren't.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Booker is going for 70 tonight. :D

Speaking of, is anyone else getting tired of hearing other teams' announcers talking about how Booker went for 70 'last season'? That happened more times than I can count last season and I've heard it at least once this season. Like guys come on, that happened 3 seasons ago.

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score

Go Suns.
Boston is also on a back to back, so I think you have to factor that in. My guess is that it’s another close game with the Suns coming out ahead.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Booker is going for 70 tonight. :D

Speaking of, is anyone else getting tired of hearing other teams' announcers talking about how Booker went for 70 'last season'? That happened more times than I can count last season and I've heard it at least once this season. Like guys come on, that happened 3 seasons ago.

Don’t think he doesn’t have this one circled...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

RockinDaMike

Veteran
Reaction score
Celtics are on the 3rd game in 4 nights and have them on a back to back. Sun's are well rested with a nice 4 days off.

We need to run them out the building and beat them up.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gina Mizell‏Verified account @ginamizell

Brad Stevens just called the #Suns one of his favorite teams to watch on League Pass. Said that starts with Aron Baynes, who he called an “energy-raiser.” Stevens knows, as he coached Baynes the past two seasons in Boston.

4:32 PM - 18 Nov 2019

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Celtics are on the 3rd game in 4 nights and have them on a back to back. Sun's are well rested with a nice 4 days off.

We need to run them out the building and beat them up.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Have we ever played well following 3 days rest? Maybe it's just selective memory at work but I cringe even when we just get a 2nd day off, we seem to play worse than we do on the rear end of a B2B. It's tough to stay in great game shape and in rhythm when you're used to a game every other day and it doesn't happen. Late in the season an extra day can be a lifesaver but this early, it's just wasted IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A big change tonight. Ricky Rubio is doubtful and Jevon Carter will start.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Suns announce Ricky Rubio is now doubtful for tonight's game due to back spasms. Jevon Carter is starting.

5:48 PM - 18 Nov 2019

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That's a shock.

Tonight, it the poor Suns.

At least his back spasms will heal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a shock.

Tonight, it the poor Suns.

At least his back spasms will heal.

I wonder if the Suns called someone up from the G-league for added depth.

The Suns do have Jevon Carter and Tyler Johnson who can play point guard.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course the Suns have Okobo and Booker can play some point guard if necessary.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ouch, both figuratively in terms of the team's prospects tonight and in terms of Rubio, knowing just how painful back spasms can be. Feel better soon, Ricky. Perhaps reach out to Steve Nash about how to maintain the back moving forward...