Celtics @ Suns 11-8-18

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
His rookie year he couldn't do much more than dunk but few could stop him anyway. Then he developed a mid range shot and had it not been for injuries, he would have been greatest overall player the Suns ever had. That's assuming we could keep him in Phoenix for his entire run.
Heh. Now I see how he meant it. I read it as it was written. As in he could only dunk in his rookie year and was no longer a dunker in his second year, third year, etc.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I agree he is better at this point, but pre-injury Amare could've ended up being the best player this team ever had. He had a nasty that Ayton clearly lacks. Sigh, what couldve been.

Pre-injury Amare was a scary player, and he had a little bit of nasty in him from day one. That said, I think Ayton has his own advantages over Amare. He is bigger, he is already under control 95% of the time, he doesn't do stupid stuff, he passes the ball well, he can score in a variety of ways, he is an excellent passer, etc. Amare was never a smart player, he was often out of control, he did plenty of stupid stuff every single game, he was not a very good rebounder, and a terrible defender.

I am amazed by how good Ayton is considering his age. I think a lot of people had unrealistic expectations for Ayton. I swear that people thought he was going to be Amare and Tim Duncan rolled into one player from day one.

Ayton is doing great. He has plenty of things to work on, but he is doing great.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Pre-injury Amare was a scary player, and he had a little bit of nasty in him from day one. That said, I think Ayton has his own advantages over Amare. He is bigger, he is already under control 95% of the time, he doesn't do stupid stuff, he passes the ball well, he can score in a variety of ways, he is an excellent passer, etc. Amare was never a smart player, he was often out of control, he did plenty of stupid stuff every single game, he was not a very good rebounder, and a terrible defender.

I am amazed by how good Ayton is considering his age. I think a lot of people had unrealistic expectations for Ayton. I swear that people thought he was going to be Amare and Tim Duncan rolled into one player from day one.

Ayton is doing great. He has plenty of things to work on, but he is doing great.

Yep. You nailed my argument completely. Amare was just so strong and quick, but all he could do was dunk. His jumpshot was scary bad early in his career. He only averaged a decent rebound clip because of physical ability not because he boxed out and rebounded with skill.

Ayton just needs to build his confidence. Duncan was never a "nasty" player. Neither was David Robinson.