CeeDee

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we get to #8 and Simmons, Brown, and Okudah are there...I think we would be making a mistake in taking Lamb over any of those 3.

What none of us are talking about is what it might take to get back up to get someone like Lamb. If you think he is an elite WR then its worth making a move. Could we deal PP21 in order to get back into the 1st? Could we give up next years 1st (hoping that we would be significantly better and would be trading a pick in the 20's?)

Trade #40 and PP21 to Tampa for #14 in order to snag Lamb.

Sure, why not?

We certainly have a ready replacement for an 8 time Pro Bowler on the roster.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lamb is an elite player and it pains me to say that as a Baylor grad. My wife is an OU grad and if we draft Lamb, she will want to watch the Cards with me even more.

I would certainly be happy with Lamb, but if there is a surprise among the top projected defensive players that drops, I go with that player all day. WR is so deep that we can still get an impact guy in round 2.

Round #3, in fact.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If we get to #8 and Simmons, Brown, and Okudah are there...I think we would be making a mistake in taking Lamb over any of those 3.

What none of us are talking about is what it might take to get back up to get someone like Lamb. If you think he is an elite WR then its worth making a move. Could we deal PP21 in order to get back into the 1st? Could we give up next years 1st (hoping that we would be significantly better and would be trading a pick in the 20's?)

Man, I would riot if we traded next year's first to move up. Trading PP21 is certainly not going to put us in the 20s next year, either.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Brown will probably make it to us unless the Panthers pick him right in front of us. He is a legit top 10 pick on tape but his combine numbers were poor. Even if you don't put much stock in the combine, his ability to rush the passer consistently has to be questioned.

Simmons on the other hand hand made himself some money and will be gone by our pick. He is a generational talent. I wouldn't trust Vance Joseph to maximize his ability, so I'm perfectly fine with Simmons going earlier. But man, with a creative DC Simmons will tear up the league.

Top ten pick on tape means he's a top ten pick... these guys are getting drafted to play football and on tape that's what they are doing :)

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm on the Lamb bandwagon and would love to see him as our pick. Lot of good OT, none really great, so we could get one in round 2 or 3. We finally have a good OL Coach in Kugler who can develop our OL players.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I'm on the Lamb bandwagon and would love to see him as our pick. Lot of good OT, none really great, so we could get one in round 2 or 3. We finally have a good OL Coach in Kugler who can develop our OL players.

I think that Kyler Murray needs an ultimate go-to weapon in the deep game. Larry is a great mentor and Christian Kirk will likely never be better than a solid number 2 receiver. The rookie receivers last year fizzled. Got to go for broke to unleash this offense sooner than later. Unless a dominant defensive player is on the board (doubtful after the combine performance of Simmons), gamble again and double down on Kliff and Kyler. I’d go receiver

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
If Simmons is available he’s got to be the pick imo. With that said I prefer Jeudy because of his phenomenal route running & ability to hit the home run. In the Cards offense I think he’s the better pick long term.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that Kyler Murray needs an ultimate go-to weapon in the deep game. Larry is a great mentor and Christian Kirk will likely never be better than a solid number 2 receiver. The rookie receivers last year fizzled. Got to go for broke to unleash this offense sooner than later. Unless a dominant defensive player is on the board (doubtful after the combine performance of Simmons), gamble again and double down on Kliff and Kyler. I’d go receiver

Is called Larry the legend but this one is a big legend too
Michael Floyd has been under his wing and didn't show any significant improvements, on and off the field

Certainly he is a good dude but the novel about him mentoring is just pure false belief

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Then imagine what Kugler could do if he gets his magic hands on elite OL talent instead of some undrafted/late round guys.

How can you say lots of good OL none really great? This draft has 4 elite OT prospects. 2 of them are natural RTs which is our biggest OL need. The 5th and 6th best OT prospects in this class would be in contention for being the 1st OT selected in the last couple drafts.

I love Lamb, but given the depth of the WR class and unique top-heavy OT class, the smart choice is OT. All things equal OT >>> WR.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is called Larry the legend but this one is a big legend too
Michael Floyd has been under his wing and didn't show any significant improvements, on and off the field

Certainly he is a good dude but the novel about him mentoring is just pure false belief

Larry couldn't give Michael his hands or drinking habits.

Try harder!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think that's true. Kliff's system uses the short passing game as an extension of the run game, by design. Not because of personell.

That patently untrue bud. The aDot dropped like a stone over the first 4 game from 10.4 to 5.3.

He massively changed his scheme to accommodate for the O line. It's why we a Tonne of sacks the first 6 weeks and relatively less when we started treating the ball like a hot potato.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
So many things have to happen for me to be on board with a receiver there over OT, DT and Simmons... 50/50 on Simmons/Lamb. I’m still (probably ignorantly so) expecting Butler to be a legit threat/good player.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lamb would be a smart pick. Close with Murray and would help most of anyone on that side of the ball. He probably gets picked if Bidwill liked the interview.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

I would take that gamble and trade the 2021 1st round pick to move up in this year's draft to grab a WR after I grabbed either OL or defensive help at #8.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many things have to happen for me to be on board with a receiver there over OT, DT and Simmons... 50/50 on Simmons/Lamb. I’m still (probably ignorantly so) expecting Butler to be a legit threat/good player.
That is a big key. But can the staff really know what Butler brings to the table? Even if he turn out better than average I’d like to think what it would mean 2-3 years down the line when Fitz hangs them up.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That patently untrue bud. The aDot dropped like a stone over the first 4 game from 10.4 to 5.3.

He massively changed his scheme to accommodate for the O line. It's why we a Tonne of sacks the first 6 weeks and relatively less when we started treating the ball like a hot potato.

He adjusted to the fact that you can't run 4 wides as almost a base against NFL quality defences.

And there isn't an O-line in the League that wouldn't get eaten up if faced with the same.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree with others I don't think all the sacks were on the OL, they were on the scheme, and on Kyler being so young and never having played under any pass rush pressure before at OU. Kyler was taking sacks trying to outrun defenders or backing up. Once he figured out you can't do that in the NFL, sacks came down. Kliff was trying to run 4 WR sets as a base, once he figured out NFL teams will beat the hell out of your QB if you do that, he cut back on 4Wr and the sacks came down.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kliff try more 4 WR next year, especially if we draft a WRin the first round. I think the idea will be Kyler has a full year in the NFL and the system now so he might be able to function better from that formation now. I don't expect to see it nearly as much as we did at the early season but maybe trying it a bit more to see if we can make it work with a more experienced Kyler and a better WR group.

Early in the year Kyler was both really raw against the rush, and really reluctant to run.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Lamb is legit. My only concern with a WR at #8 is that there seems to be legit 1st round talents that will be there at #40...and that is not the case in other areas like ILB, DL, or CB.

If we go WR at #8, it is very possible that the BPA at #40, and maybe the 3rd round too is another WR, which we won't double up on...so that means we end up taking the lesser player??
If that happens, you trade down from 40 and pick up an extra pick.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Agree with others I don't think all the sacks were on the OL, they were on the scheme, and on Kyler being so young and never having played under any pass rush pressure before at OU.
Kyler was responsible for some sacks, but also bailed out the OL a ton of times.

He was the hardest QB to sack in 2019. That means there were lots of instances where he was avoiding pressure all on his own.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler was responsible for some sacks, but also bailed out the OL a ton of times.

He was the hardest QB to sack in 2019. That means there were lots of instances where he was avoiding pressure all on his own.

Oh I agree but it was really a tale of 2 seasons for that. At the beginning of the year he was running into sacks quite often. At the end of the year it was almost the exact opposite, he was making defenders look foolish at times.

Still not clear if you can run 4WR sets fairly often in the NFL, teams are going to come after your QB and hit him over and over.

I'm not saying we can't upgrade the OL if given the chance, of course, but one of the main reasons I want a WR with that pick is there are some really good ones this draft, and I think Kyler in the 2nd half of the season showed what he can do , with a year under his belt, another camp etc, I think the possibilities are endless, so giving him a Jeudy or Lamb that can get open and allow us to go downfield more, fun to think about.

I would add, i think there was a learning curve for the OL too, they had to get used to playing with Kyler, where's he going to be etc. I keep saying it with Humphries I actually didn't mind his penalties because I think he got it, Kyler is the future of this franchise, if you get beat and he's going to get hit, by all means grab the guy, tackle him if you have to, don't let a penalty scare you into allowing someone to get a clean hit on Kyler.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rumor has it that if Becton is still there at 8, Cleveland will trade up to get him. Cleveland has an atrocious OL, so Cardinals should be talking to them even now.