Cards would've drafted Watson...

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
But it's different moving to, or near, the top of the draft. Watson wasn't considered in that mold. If I was the Cards, I wouldn't have given up a lot to move up 1 spot.
All it would have taken is this years 2nd, mtl. If not they were wise not to move up. I'm pretty good with Reddick though.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'll tell you a secret every team knows who is taking who, and when they're doing it. I was told three picks before we took Golden that he was our guy. That info came from another teams front office employee. I am not at liberty to say who told me that. Now at that time most people hadn't even heard of Marcus Golden, and that was even after changing on the fly because of the Abdulla pick by Detroit. So don't kid yourself into thinking other teams don't know your intentions.

This is really not supposed to be a knock on you, WisconsinCard, but I do not believe what you have been told. If it was in fact true that every team knows what other teams will do, there would be no reason for all the secrets and smokescreens each team uses a lot of time and ressources to put out in the months leading up to the draft. Each team could care less if the fans and the media know their plans if all the other teams know them as well.

I obviously do not know if the Cardinals actually did want to select Watson with their pick or if all the talk of how they wanted a quarterback was only various smokescreens, but I do know that two teams paid a lot to move ahead of the Cardinals. Furthermore, I can imagine that in order to trick those teams into doing so they might have told Mahomes and Watson that they wanted to draft them so that both of them could tell that in meetings with the other teams.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I liked Watson but I also like Beathard out of Iowa. I was not happy that S.F. took him.

Mark in SC

I also was high on Beathard, Mark. Nothing fancy about his game, but he's tough, efficient QB who competes at a high level.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The Texans and Chiefs traded up from the back of the draft, yet still only paid their next year's 1st round pick. We would have kept our 1st round pick 2018 while drafting Watson or Mahomes.

this seems reasonable, but i dont think it can be assumed

CLE may have gone through thinking along the lines of: be it trading down 1 spot, or 10 spots -- this is the last top tier QB and I want a 2018 #1 pick out of it. They very well could have been indifferent to getting the very next guy on their board ( trading down 1 spot) or the 11th best guy on their board.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
This is really not supposed to be a knock on you, WisconsinCard, but I do not believe what you have been told. If it was in fact true that every team knows what other teams will do, there would be no reason for all the secrets and smokescreens each team uses a lot of time and ressources to put out in the months leading up to the draft. Each team could care less if the fans and the media know their plans if all the other teams know them as well.

I obviously do not know if the Cardinals actually did want to select Watson with their pick or if all the talk of how they wanted a quarterback was only various smokescreens, but I do know that two teams paid a lot to move ahead of the Cardinals. Furthermore, I can imagine that in order to trick those teams into doing so they might have told Mahomes and Watson that they wanted to draft them so that both of them could tell that in meetings with the other teams.

Did not say every team knows, just that other teams know. It could be coming from the players. I mean hey their agents are trying to smoke screen every team to get their player drafted as early as possible. I was shocked when the pick came in and it was Golden. I sat back and just couldn't imagine it.

The reason for all the smoke screening being thrown out is because no matter what you hear it still has to be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe this team was on the phone with the cards trying to get their spot, and we told them if Golden was gone they had a deal if he was there we were taking him. I don't know the details, I just know what happened.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Laugh at Pace if you want, but he just recently retired. Any pick would look bad next to Suggs, but getting two consecutive first rounders in the teens is mighty tempting in return.

My point wasn't about how well Pace played but how his pick in the 1st rd appeared to be a huge reach and surprise. The looks on the faces of Berman and crew was comical and they did a poor job of hiding their shock about the pick.
Now maybe other teams had Pace rated as high or even knew the Cards were taking him but I highly doubt it. We traded back instead of taking Suggs then the Eagles traded in front of us to take McDougal (IIRC) so Graves and Company reached on Pace

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The price to get either Watson or Mahomes after the top 8 picks was really low considering the normal price tag for a QB of the future. The Texans and Chiefs traded up from the back of the draft, yet still only paid their next year's 1st round pick. We would have kept our 1st round pick 2018 while drafting Watson or Mahomes. It's really crazy Keim didn't pull the trigger.

Unfortunately we won't have video footage of how that all went down. Would've been great to see if we were indeed after a QB and got jumped by the Chiefs and Texans. I found it really exciting to see how that Ameer Abdullah - David Johnson saga proceeded, would be cool to get more insight into the draft room after the draft is over.
Consider you are the Browns...the Cards are 1 spot behind and Texans are many more spots down. Texans are offering a 1st, etc to move up....you really think the Cards could have moved up for less?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hey! Mitch. How ya' doin', bud? RE: C.J. Beathard. GREAT minds think alike, huh? LOL

Take Care!

Mark in SC :)

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My point was, just Cuz he is good Now thats why people are saying we should've traded for him. Both were options for the cardinals whether we passed on them, or didn't trade up. 32 teams passed on Tom Brady several times.
Tom Brady wasn't even a regular starter in college so the doubts about him were justified. If you want a comparison, Dan Marino was passed on by 26 teams before Miami took him at 27 and he had the skills in college even though his senior season was sub par. Teams pass on players for one reason or another but to point fingers for not taking a player who went in the 6th round who ended up a hall of famer is just silly. That's called finding a diamond in the rough. Hell, Tony Romo wasn't even drafted and he had a decent career.

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
Tom Brady wasn't even a regular starter in college so the doubts about him were justified. If you want a comparison, Dan Marino was passed on by 26 teams before Miami took him at 27 and he had the skills in college even though his senior season was sub par. Teams pass on players for one reason or another but to point fingers for not taking a player who went in the 6th round who ended up a hall of famer is just silly. That's called finding a diamond in the rough. Hell, Tony Romo wasn't even drafted and he had a decent career.
I don't care what he went at the draft. People can say this and that about who we should've drafted, the point being just Cuz he has played good, doesn't mean that they were right about drafting him. RG3 had a few good years. That's my point, just Cuz we could've got him, doesn't mean anything. Nobody truly knows what's going to happen.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I don't care what he went at the draft. People can say this and that about who we should've drafted, the point being just Cuz he has played good, doesn't mean that they were right about drafting him. RG3 had a few good years. That's my point, just Cuz we could've got him, doesn't mean anything. Nobody truly knows what's going to happen.

AGREED
Derek Carr has seemed to come back to earth, as well as Dak. Hell the leinert looked good his rookie year for Pete's sake. So lets give the kid a few years before we start anointing him as the next great QB.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson