Cards-Winston reach agreement -shefter

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Durable vet with a lot of experience playing RT. If he indeed did come cheap I'm all for it.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was reported this morning the deal is somewhere between $4.5 and $5 million...

It was reported that is what he wanted in the spring.

Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki 1h Eric Winston on April 9 told Sirius he's was looking at “In the $3-4 million range" called free agency “frustrating”. Cards offer vet mini.

SiriusXM NFL Radio ‏@SiriusXMNFL 25m .@EricWinston: I embrace competition & haven't been promised anything in Arizona. I feel like I will be the guy at RT. #SXMSports #Cardinals

SiriusXM NFL Radio ‏@SiriusXMNFL 22m .@EricWinston: You always want more than a 1-Year deal but I think if I prove myself to them it could turn into a long-term deal. #SXMSports

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I'm happy. Can't have too many OL to battle it out, and if last year is any indication, the preseason will thin the ranks of linemen throughout the league via injury anyway.

:stick:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cooper's cap hit won't be very high. More like 3-4 million. I believe I read it's expected about 10 million or so signing bonus and 14 mill or so total contract over 4 years.

2.5 per year for signing bonus
probably under 1 mill salary (which goes up over 4 years to average about 1 mill)

Which would mean Cooper and Winston would only shave about 4 million off our cap...give or take a little.

I think this is an awesome move. So this is what it's like to have a competent GM. I like it.

Think of it this way. At worst Winston takes the roster spot of Batiste, in terms of where we are heading into camp versus last year.

So if things were to head south like last year, instead of having Batiste starting you'd have Winston and our young tackles Massie/Potter with a year of experience.

Brown, Winston, and Massie/Potter not being rookies is a tackle situation heads and tails above an injured Brown, Batiste, McQuistan, and Massie/Potter as rookies.

Quinn McCollum

Veteran
Reaction score
I'll take him over some of the tackle Arizona had last year but I rather see Massie at RT. Got the talent to be an all pro RT in the NFL.

Last edited:

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I'm ok with this I like that they are really trying to make this team better

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
We have depth across the line now. Winston is a solid tackle. My only question is if Levi doesn't play well will Winston start at LT. We know he is a very good RT. great move to pick him up let alone so cheaply.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have depth across the line now. Winston is a solid tackle. My only question is if Levi doesn't play well will Winston start at LT. We know he is a very good RT. great move to pick him up let alone so cheaply.

It has been reproted on Twitter a few times that Winston is looked at as a RT only.

Quinn McCollum

Veteran
Reaction score

This Arizona coaching staff would be the first team in the NFL that thinks Winston could play LT if he did.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Additions from last year

Levi
Winston
Cooper

Yes, we will be improved along the OL. It will be interesting to see how BA fields his starting 5, will Massie move to Guard and will that mean Colledge and his nasty contract is on is way out?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so if he is strictly RT, its a 3 way battle for LT, a 2 way battle for RT and if the coaches can actually recognise best at each position will will field the best unit possible.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
After the early summer lull, I'm starting to get that great feeling that football is about to start. Good signing. We needed and extra OT, whether it's on the right or left side. I'm thinking this is a right side addition though, unless there's an injury on the left.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this FO continues to make moves that no previous Cardinals FO ever made.

Very impressed with this signing. there's actually DEPTH on the O-line for once.

The same old cards would have never added players of Dansby/Winston's pedigree, always hoping that some low drafted rookie or UDFA could substitute as depth.

If Palmer can just be average, this season should be pretty entertaining. not sure how that will equate to wins, but I expect to see a professional football team out there this year, which is something save a bizarre 12 game run from the end of 2011 to the first four games of 2012, we haven't seen in a loooooong time time.

SteveKiner

Reaction score
Great signing

I am an outsider here, and didn't follow the Cards very closely the past few years but this looks like a great signing. Bring in as much talent as you can and let them fight it out. Winston will either be a solid starter at RT or a top back up. At least on paper, adding Cooper and Winston and having Levi Brown healthy should turn a very weak OL into at least a solid OL.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the hell is going on around here?

It's like we are trying to get better. It's like someone thinks that Oline play is important.

WTH have you done with my Same Ol' Cardinals???

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this FO continues to make moves that no previous Cardinals FO ever made.

Very impressed with this signing. there's actually DEPTH on the O-line for once.

The same old cards would have never added players of Dansby/Winston's pedigree, always hoping that some low drafted rookie or UDFA could substitute as depth.

If Palmer can just be average, this season should be pretty entertaining. not sure how that will equate to wins, but I expect to see a professional football team out there this year, which is something save a bizarre 12 game run from the end of 2011 to the first four games of 2012, we haven't seen in a loooooong time time.

I agree with every syllable above, especially the last paragraph.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
What the hell is going on around here?

It's like we are trying to get better. It's like someone thinks that Oline play is important.

WTH have you done with my Same Ol' Cardinals???

It's like we've entered an alternate universe where instead of royally screwing up the off season by overpaying for washed-up and/or injury-prone free agents and drafting the wrong people, etcetera, the Cardinals front office is actually making astute acquisitions at reasonable prices.

How can anyone complain about signing a veteran right tackle with no durability issues at a minimum salary? Couple that with the Karlos Dansby signing and the trade/signing of Carson Palmer and Steve Keim, Bruce Arians and Michael Bidwill have pulled off a nice hat trick IMO.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How can anyone complain about signing a veteran right tackle with no durability issues at a minimum salary? Couple that with the Karlos Dansby signing and the trade/signing of Carson Palmer and Steve Keim, Bruce Arians and Michael Bidwill have pulled off a nice hat trick IMO.

Would that be a kangol trick?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I'm thinking they want Massie at LT, Brown at RG, with Colledge released.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm thinking they want Massie at LT, Brown at RG, with Colledge released.

This is my thought exactly. I know people keep saying Massie won't move to LT, but if you're Levi Brown this is a shot across your bow. It doesn't matter what people think Massie can or can't do, what matters is if he can play better at LT than Levi Brown.

It's sort of like the old joke about the bear chasing a dude and his friend and one dude looks at the other as they're running and says, "You can't outrun a bear!" and the other friend says, "I know, I just have to outrun you." Massie doesn't have to be as good or better than the premier LT's, he just has to be better than Levi Brown.