Cards Trade for T Gorin from Pats

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
New Offensive Lineman; Gorin

Thin at offensive line, Cardinals trade for Pats' GorinBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Gorin
Moving to bolster their offensive line, and to compensate for the absence of starting right tackle Oliver Ross, the Arizona Cardinals on Monday acquired four-year veteran Brandon Gorin from the New England Patriots, ESPN.com has learned.

It was not yet known what the Cardinals surrendered in terms of compensation.

Arizona has been actively seeking to acquire a veteran offensive tackle and had recent conversations with a number of teams before striking the deal with the Patriots on Monday afternoon. The projected starter, Ross is expected to miss 2-4 more weeks after undergoing surgery for a torn meniscus in his right knee.

In last weekend's preseason game, three-year veteran Jeremy Bridges, who is more suited to playing guard, was the starter at right tackle.

Gorin, 28, will provide the Cardinals an experienced player at the position and will reduce the urgency to rush Ross back into action. The former Purdue standout has appeared in 31 games, with 18 starts. Although he played sparingly early in his career, appearing in just six games in his first two seasons, Gorin started 10 games at right tackle in 2004 and eight games in 2005.

Originally chosen by the San Diego Chargers in the seventh round of the 2001 draft, he spent his rookie year on the team's practice squad, then was released in the summer of 2002. He was on the New England practice squad that year before making the active roster in 2003.

The 6-foot-6, 308-pound Gorin is a solid run-blocker and has improved his pass-blocking skills over the last two seasons.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

RedForeman

Registered
Reaction score
Moving to bolster their offensive line, and to compensate for the absence of starting right tackle Oliver Ross, the Arizona Cardinals on Monday acquired four-year veteran Brandon Gorin from the New England Patriots, ESPN.com has learned.

It was not yet known what the Cardinals surrendered in terms of compensation.

Arizona has been actively seeking to acquire a veteran offensive tackle and had recent conversations with a number of teams before striking the deal with the Patriots on Monday afternoon. The projected starter, Ross is expected to miss 2-4 more weeks after undergoing surgery for a torn meniscus in his right knee.

In last weekend's preseason game, three-year veteran Jeremy Bridges, who is more suited to playing guard, was the starter at right tackle.

Gorin, 28, will provide the Cardinals an experienced player at the position and will reduce the urgency to rush Ross back into action. The former Purdue standout has appeared in 31 games, with 18 starts. Although he played sparingly early in his career, appearing in just six games in his first two seasons, Gorin started 10 games at right tackle in 2004 and eight games in 2005.

Originally chosen by the San Diego Chargers in the seventh round of the 2001 draft, he spent his rookie year on the team's practice squad, then was released in the summer of 2002. He was on the New England practice squad that year before making the active roster in 2003.

The 6-foot-6, 308-pound Gorin is a solid run-blocker and has improved his pass-blocking skills over the last two seasons.

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
Just saw this on another board:

Patriots trade T Gorin to Cardinals
Written by: - ffLiveWire - ¦ 8/21/2006

Patriots have traded T Brandon Gorin to the Arizona Cardinals for an undisclosed draft pick.

Poster commented on Gorin:

He's alright, but he fell out of favor with Pat's coaches as Belichick thought he's been outplayed in camp by Rookie O'Callaghan as well as some other young guys they got on the OLine in the past couple seasons. (Neal)

Gorin has never been thought of as an more than an average blocker. He was basically forced into a starting role due to injuries. But he has played in some big games.

Guess the attitude was a problem with BB.

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
That's hilarious. Two other posters, posted the exact same topic at the exact same time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds promising, I'm assuming he played against us Saturday?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm sorry but Gorin is average at best..... I used to live with a Purdue homer in college and I saw a lot of him

RedForeman

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty sad those guys are beating us to the punch over there at the Cardinal's site.

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
RedForeman said:
Anyone know anything about this guy?

I managed to start another thread at the exact same time. Saw this on another message board and a Pats fan had posted this:

He's alright, but he fell out of favor with Pat's coaches as Belichick thought he's been outplayed in camp by Rookie O'Callaghan as well as some other young guys they got on the OLine in the past couple seasons. (Neal)

Gorin has never been thought of as an more than an average blocker. He was basically forced into a starting role due to injuries. But he has played in some big games.

Guess the attitude was a problem with BB.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I'm sorry but Gorin is average at best..... I used to live with a Purdue homer in college and I saw a lot of him

Oh good, that means he's a definite upgrade over what we have there!

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didnt RTFA, but did this guy play on Sat?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I haven't even got Madden 07 yet and the roster is already out of date
:(

RedForeman

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting to see what they gave up before passing judgement. At least they are doing something.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What this move tells me is

the Cards coaches are also concerned about the lack of talent we have on the O-line (OT). The QB pressures and lack of rushing attack can't be fixed with Wakefield or Bridges.

Loney has spent enough time with this line (OT's) to know the talent just isn't here.

G's are not going to let this O-line kill us this year if they can help it.

Gorin doesn't sound like the long term answer but as many of us have stated we just need this line to be average for the team to do well. Sounds like average was just added to the roster and saddly enough I'm pretty excited by that.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Apparently Dallas was trying to get him as well.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Apparently Dallas was trying to get him as well.

We have a Joeshmo sighting.

Thanks for the info, this makes me feel even better about picking up Gorin.

HardBall

Devil Man
Reaction score
Hopefully this is at least a stop-gap. This guy does not have to be a Pro Bowler to have a huge positive impact on our entire offense. Glad to see RG is actually doing some things.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the move. It fills a big need. Having starting experience with the Pats is certainly a plus.