Cards sign QB Colt McCoy

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I’m guessing this move is to have a veteran presence around Murray for advice or knowledge. Also he may have a similar point of view being a short QB

also it’s addition by Strevler subtraction

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe they just realized Hundley isn't a leader or mentor for KM....and that the Streveler boom or bust experiment, went bust in a big way. I have no issues with McCoy...by all accounts he's good in the locker room, understands his position as a backup QB, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ron, I don't see McCoy as either as well. He's a name guy, relegated to journeyman status, and I'm okay with that per se. Heck, I'd rather have had Hundley back for continuity sake if anything. What Kyler needs is coaching, not mentorship at this point.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ron, I don't see McCoy as either as well. He's a name guy, relegated to journeyman status, and I'm okay with that per se. Heck, I'd rather have had Hundley back for continuity sake if anything. What Kyler needs is coaching, not mentorship at this point.

If McCoy didn't bring qualities and input beyond his arm, he'd be "relegated" to a comfy couch.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If McCoy didn't bring qualities and input beyond his arm, he'd be "relegated" to a comfy couch.

I'm not against the signing at all, just don't see the need to necessarily replace BH. I'm not privy to the inner workings so it's a shoulder shrug. It'd be great if he brings a non playing bonus to the team, but he never struck me as a name that's capable of ringing bells in the locker room so until I see it, he's just a guy.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not against the signing at all, just don't see the need to necessarily replace BH. I'm not privy to the inner workings so it's a shoulder shrug. It'd be great if he brings a non playing bonus to the team, but he never struck me as a name that's capable of ringing bells in the locker room so until I see it, he's just a guy.

You're not going to see it, any more than you saw BH's interactions with Kyler.

One of the "beat" reporters said that Steveler had actually beat out BH for the backup job in practice, and then add his off field issues and it's time to move on.

Colt's been around and I'm sure he's mastered QB speak. ;)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoCo00.htm

Last edited:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You're not going to see it, any more than you saw BH's interactions with Kyler.

One of the "beat" reporters said that Steveler had actually beat out BH for the backup job in practice, and then add his off field issues and it's time to move on.

Colt's been around and I'm sure he's mastered QB speak. ;)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoCo00.htm

QC, I can agree with that. I'm just saying I never counted on BH or any other Card to be a mentor to Kyler. He doesn't need mentoring, he needs coaching. I wont lose sleep over Hundley's departure (other that the fact he's my fraternity brother, and I wish him the best:)) but if McCoy brings something, ANYTHING to my team, I'm all for it.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gotta say that Daniel Jones didnt receive too much mentoring or didnt take well to it last year. He got worse.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
“I’ve only got to spend three weeks with Kyler and he’s been great,” McCoy said. “He’s so talented. There’s things that he does that I can’t do. Not many guys can. And he’s experienced a ton of success in his career.”

McCoy, a native of Texas just like Murray, is well versed in the accomplishments of his new teammate. Before starring at Oklahoma, Murray was a five-star recruit who won three consecutive state championships at Allen High School in the state’s highest classification.

“Probably the highest recruit coming out of high school, played great in college, won a Heisman Trophy, he was the first pick in the draft, he was a first-round pick in baseball. The guy’s an unbelievable athlete,” McCoy said.

McCoy, after following Murray’s career from afar, finally got the opportunity to work with him during the Cardinals’ OTA program this spring.
“But getting in a room with him, talking football … again it was for three weeks, but he’s been awesome. We started off on the right foot and it’s been a ton of fun,” McCoy said.

And of course, the former Texas quarterback could not let an opportunity to troll an ex-Oklahoma player slip by, as McCoy made sure to remind Murray of his 3-1 career record against Oklahoma while at Texas.

“I threw just a few Oklahoma jabs in there. Enough to not ruffle any feathers but just let him know it should’ve been 4-0. But I’ll take 3-1, I guess,” McCoy said. “But Kyler’s been great. He’s taught me a lot about this offense. I’ve asked a lot of questions. We’ve taken to the field and worked on some things and I’m excited about this year. There’s a lot of talent around us and we just need to play consistent, turnover-free football and let the rest happen.”
Cardinals QB Colt McCoy embracing role as backup to Kyler Murray (247sports.com)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson