Cards sign CB Darqueze Dennard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How does Dennard compare to Steven Nelson?

Nelson is better, but then he is also overrated and would likely cost 5x more.

Value wise Dennard is a great add assuming it's a sub $2m deal.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
IMO they filled a need with a veteran CB. If the pass rush is good the defense will be fine. Key will be staying healthy.

One issue the Cardinals may face is against inside zone teams that run with power. The interior will lack a little beef. One of my smaller gripes with Keim's draft is that it would've been nice to add a big young run stuffer.

I like Fotu, but they don't have another large nose tackle.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Dennard is very limited. He never developed when given numerous opportunities. He is best in the slot. So he provides a little injury depth there. I don’t put any stock in this allowing them to move Murphy outside. He is simply not smooth enough coming out of breaks to handle the vast majority of outside receivers. He’s better moving through the inside traffic that is more common with slot receivers. He also has more help inside and plays more confidently it would seem. Again the Cards are assuming that a power pass rush will compensate. Historically that has not proved true but perhaps they can make it work good enough to keep them in most games. It won’t take long to find out as I expect teams to challenge through the air very quickly.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When was it better?

Last year was the Ghost of P2, Murphy, the rotting corpse of Dre Kirkpatrick, Kevin Peterson, Bausby/Whitaker for 1 game and the exhumed body of Jonathan Joseph. The year before was even worse with rookie Murphy mostly outside, P2 out 6 games, Tremaine Brock starting and Chris Jones and Kevin Peterson playing significant snaps.

This CB room is much better on paper.

Some people seem to have changed their whole outlook of this CB room because P2 was removed. I swear if P2 was still here those complaining would be saying it's a good room, but P2 has been trash since 2018.

And outside P2 in 2018 that CB room was even worse. Bene Benwikere, Jamar Taylor, David Amerson, Brandon Williams. Has any of them played a snap in the league since? :barf:

That says all I need to know. This isn't a good CB room; we hope it's an AVERAGE CB room. With our pass rush options, average SHOULD suffice. The problem is, spit and baling wire isn't a good way to go about such an important position. And adding a never-has been to a hasn't-played-in-years doesn't at all fill the gaping #2 hole. We've got a lot of depth in the "wing and a prayer" position, just not starter depth.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Seems to me that teams that want to throw more against Arizona might quickly change their tune when their QB's "go down" a few times. And for the argument that they'll throw a lot of short passes so that their QB's can get the ball out quicker, we'll soon see how good our two most recent first round picks really are. JMO.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That says all I need to know. This isn't a good CB room; we hope it's an AVERAGE CB room. With our pass rush options, average SHOULD suffice. The problem is, spit and baling wire isn't a good way to go about such an important position. And adding a never-has been to a hasn't-played-in-years doesn't at all fill the gaping #2 hole. We've got a lot of depth in the "wing and a prayer" position, just not starter depth.

Maybe, maybe not, but that doesn't change the fact that this group is better than any group since at least 2017, and I don't recall so much navel gazing over cornerbacks the last 3 years.

It's as if the removal of P2 has people suddenly concerned when he's been garbage for 2 years. The guy we brought in to replace him has been better both those years and costs us 25% what P2 did.

Butler > P2
Dennard > Kirkpatrick
Alford > Kevin Peterson
Gowan and Wilson > All the trash we had in that room recently

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dennard is very limited. He never developed when given numerous opportunities. He is best in the slot. So he provides a little injury depth there. I don’t put any stock in this allowing them to move Murphy outside. He is simply not smooth enough coming out of breaks to handle the vast majority of outside receivers. He’s better moving through the inside traffic that is more common with slot receivers. He also has more help inside and plays more confidently it would seem. Again the Cards are assuming that a power pass rush will compensate. Historically that has not proved true but perhaps they can make it work good enough to keep them in most games. It won’t take long to find out as I expect teams to challenge through the air very quickly.

I'm not sure how anyone can look at this room as a downgrade on what we had last year and last year's defense finished 10th in air yards allowed and conceded the least air yards of any team on the road.

Both P2 and Kirkpatrick had career bad years. Murphy was average. Neither linebacker could cover. And our depth was has been's and fringe 53 guys. That's not to say our current room is awesome, but last year's was bad.

It may well do worse because it's a different schedule and part of these stats is luck of the draw, but on paper this is not a worse CB room.

Stout

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not, but that doesn't change the fact that this group is better than any group since at least 2017, and I don't recall so much navel gazing over cornerbacks the last 3 years.

It's as if the removal of P2 has people suddenly concerned when he's been garbage for 2 years. The guy we brought in to replace him has been better both those years and costs us 25% what P2 did.

Butler > P2
Dennard > Kirkpatrick
Alford > Kevin Peterson
Gowan and Wilson > All the trash we had in that room recently

Speculation can be accepted as fact? That's news to me.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Speculation can be accepted as fact? That's news to me.

How is it speculation to say this group is clearly an upgrade on the garbage groups we had the last few years? It's clearly obvious.

Which CB group from the last 3 years do you consider better?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How is it speculation to say this group is clearly an upgrade on the garbage groups we had the last few years? It's clearly obvious.

you’re just saying it’s not speculative but a fact of player’s ratings for the year? I agree

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

is this really something to crow about though? Our CB room has been pretty barren for years. The idea that this group is just as good or maybe a little better kinda sucks when you’re going “ALL IN” and still have A LOT of cap room to burn.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
is this really something to crow about though? Our CB room has been pretty barren for years. The idea that this group is just as good or maybe a little better kinda sucks when you’re going “ALL IN” and still have A LOT of cap room to burn.

There isn't A LOT of cap room to burn, especially when Dennard is about as good as the best guys available, who probably want more money.

This group is probably better than last years group. The DL with Watt is MASSIVELY better than last years group. The OLBs aren't as good. ILB should be improved since the corpse of Hicks won't play anymore.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There isn't A LOT of cap room to burn, especially when Dennard is about as good as the best guys available, who probably want more money.

This group is probably better than last years group. The DL with Watt is MASSIVELY better than last years group. The OLBs aren't as good. ILB should be improved since the corpse of Hicks won't play anymore.

didn’t we still have like 15 million dollars in cap room prior to thus signing?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you need a dictionary.

I mean, I can read statistics and players grades. So explain to me how it's speculation that this room isn't better. Then do what nobody else has done. Tell me how any of the CB rooms from the last 3 years are better.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We had $10m functional cap space before Dennard was signed. How is that cap space to burn? Considering they need to have at least $5m for injury replacements.

The official figure was $13m but that's a mirage caused by the top 51 rule. The reality was something like $10.3m when you account for the eventual 53.

Stout

Reaction score
We sign some nobody and all of a sudden a few people are excited with our CB room. This is a dime a dozen type of signing. Our CB room has not been significantly upgraded. If this were a depth signing because we already had quality starters? Cool. As a "this is probably your second best outside corner" signing? Blech.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, I can read statistics and players grades. So explain to me how it's speculation that this room isn't better. Then do what nobody else has done. Tell me how any of the CB rooms from the last 3 years are better.
Granted, the bar between this year's CB's and those from previous years is set low...and the potential for improvement is certainly there...

But it doesn't mean that this group will be a lock to improve.

I think Keim & Co. is in full "Mud Against the Wall" mode (not that this is necessarily a bad thing.

But it will require results on the field for this latest group to prove it.

Also - all it takes is one hole in a DB roster for the defense to collapse like a cheap tent (i.e. "depth matters").

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We sign some nobody and all of a sudden a few people are excited with our CB room. This is a dime a dozen type of signing. Our CB room has not been significantly upgraded. If this were a depth signing because we already had quality starters? Cool. As a "this is probably your second best outside corner" signing? Blech.
Why do you even follow the team anymore, let alone post lol? Damn near every thread on this board from the last fifteen years is littered with you crying about how terrible this team is. I don’t get it. If you really are in need of this much misery in your life, I could hook you up with my ex wife. You’d at least get dinner and sex.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you even follow the team anymore, let alone post lol? Damn near every thread on this board from the last fifteen years is littered with you crying about how terrible this team is. I don’t get it. If you really are in need of this much misery in your life, I could hook you up with my ex wife. You’d at least get dinner and sex.

lol that’s actually kinda funny

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose