Cards sign CB Darqueze Dennard

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No.

Plus you have to figure that the team will carry over cap space.

If Dennard is close to the best available, it's a win to sign him. Keim at least has shown his vet free agent signings usually are pretty good.

They’re at 13.5 million under the cap according to this:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

which isn’t too far from 15 million. And why would we need to figure in carry over if this is the year we’re going “ALL IN.” Teams aren’t forced to carry cap space over.

and Keim’s FA track record isn’t as bad as his draft record, but I’d say pretty good is a bit if a stretch. He’s middling at best. GREAT with trades, average FA and bad at the draft.

so, again, instead of getting “close to the best” (which seems a dubious claim considering most here werent clamoring for Dennard prior to signing... or maybe I missed those posts?), why not spend a little extra cheddar to actually get the best available? I’ve seen so many posts about getting guys who are “good value for low contracts” this off-season. And some of the signings I agree. Much rather have Butler at his number than PP’s. But my fear is that we’ve seen so many “bargain” deals that could just be setting up a you get what you pay for scenario.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Granted, the bar between this year's CB's and those from previous years is set low...and the potential for improvement is certainly there...

But it doesn't mean that this group will be a lock to improve.

I think Keim & Co. is in full "Mud Against the Wall" mode (not that this is necessarily a bad thing.

But it will require results on the field for this latest group to prove it.

Also - all it takes is one hole in a DB roster for the defense to collapse like a cheap tent (i.e. "depth matters").

I don't get this. Which room was better? The one with Jamar Taylor and Bene Benwikere starting? The one with rookie Murphy, Tramaine Brock, Chris Jones and Kevin Peterson or the one with Kirkpatrick and a bunch of has beens and nobodies?

We have been 4th, 31st and 10th with that trash in air yards allowed.

It may not have the height of talent as when P2 was last any good in 2018 but he hasn't been that for some time. This current bunch from top to bottom is far better than any room the last 3 years and I don't recall anywhere near this level of complaining about cornerbacks previously.

I can only conclude some people have been clinging to P2s name like a security blanket and are scared now it's gone.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How good the CBs are will probably be determined by having Wilson or Gowan, or both, be considered VG draft picks. And, while I have no idea if either will 'work out', I am excited that one or both will be part of the rotation.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I don’t know if this group is better than last year’s. I know it’s mediocre.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don’t know if this group is better than last year’s. I know it’s mediocre.

If this group (and statistically Butler and Dennard were superior to PP21 and Dre in 2020) is 'mediocre', what term would you use to define last season's CB group?

10th in yards allowed, and, putting aside ties - 7th in TDs allowed, 6th in interceptions, and a 15th overall rating

OP
OP
gmabel830

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Why do you even follow the team anymore, let alone post lol? Damn near every thread on this board from the last fifteen years is littered with you crying about how terrible this team is. I don’t get it. If you really are in need of this much misery in your life, I could hook you up with my ex wife. You’d at least get dinner and sex.
I see your ex-wife and raise you my ex-wife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Why do you even follow the team anymore, let alone post lol? Damn near every thread on this board from the last fifteen years is littered with you crying about how terrible this team is. I don’t get it. If you really are in need of this much misery in your life, I could hook you up with my ex wife. You’d at least get dinner and sex.

You must be a Peanuts adult, because I hear a lot of "wah wah wah wah." Or is that "whaaaa whaaa whaaa whaaa?"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depth matters.

I have a hard time believing we have good depth when it’s comprised of 4th and 6th round rookies and a guy who has either sucked balls or been off the field entirely for three years. Quantity doesn’t necessarily equal quality.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing we have good depth when it’s comprised of 4th and 6th round rookies and a guy who has either sucked balls or been off the field entirely for three years. Quantity doesn’t necessarily equal quality.

Our depth last year was Kevin Peterson, Jace Whittaker and Jonathan Joseph. So I'll take it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our depth last year was Kevin Peterson, Jace Whittaker and Jonathan Joseph. So I'll take it.

Why? Because Keim’s had a great track record drafting or specifically drafting CBs? And because after three years where injuries have destroyed Alford, you think they won’t continue to do so this year?

im not saying last seasons depth was good. I just have no idea what people are seeing to think this years is any better besides... “I say so”.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose