Cards should cut CB Robert Alford

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Does the dollars change from a pre June 1st to after June 1st cut or is it the same regardless? If they could cut him coming out of camp and still save the $7.5 I would take him into camp and see what happens. If not release him now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the dollars change from a pre June 1st to after June 1st cut or is it the same regardless? If they could cut him coming out of camp and still save the $7.5 I would take him into camp and see what happens. If not release him now.

he’s a 32 year old CB who hasn’t been healthy or actually good even while playing in four years. That 6 million in cap room is needed to replace him during FA. Even if he’s healthy come training camp, he can’t be depended on to be continue to be or be good, IMO.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Maybe offer a mil more than what his dead cap is. If we’re going to get a vet for the min likely anyway. Or Dre.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CB Robert Alford has a $9 million 2021 contract. If cut the Cards will save $7.5 M with $1.5 M in dead money. Cutting him should be a no brainer as he has missed the last two season with injuries.

Cut him.

Offer a $1m one year deal.

Cap = $1.5m + $1m ($2.5m)

Let camp decide if he makes final roster.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Either restructure into something at the very low end of the scale, or cut, I agree.

One way or another there needs to be a pay cut, even if the team has reason to believe he's looking very good.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Sounds like a no brainer to me. Why are we even having this discussion. He should be gone. Makes me wonder how many more players we are paying good money for who are contributing nothing except keeping us from winning.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut him. If he had played last year and well that would be different. We need the cap space for someone who will actually be on the field.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I assume we will wait to make cuts until we re-sign some of our own or sign actual FAs. No hurry at this point.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
I’m actually really surprised he hasn’t been cut yet. Yeah, the cupboard is bare at the moment but 2 years of pay for 0 games played?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
why cut him now ? wait til you reload your secondary, they may actually need him.
There’s a 0% chance he plays at his current salary. He either needs to take a significant paycut in a week, or be cut. The $7mil cap savings is more valuable to this team than a 32-year-old CB who hasent played in two seasons because of multiple injuries

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
There is absolutely no rush to do this.

Yes. No rush. You wait until you find the market and offer him a greatly reduced salary with no guarantees.

It's not like the Cardinals are strong at cornerback

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. No rush. You wait until you find the market and offer him a greatly reduced salary with no guarantees.

It's not like the Cardinals are strong at cornerback

Anyone can be more useful of a player that can't play
2 years in a row without playing a single snap is unbearable
And we have 2, of these players in the roster
Gilbert, Alford
U can miss on prospect or sign a bad fit player with a large contract, but age and history of injuries can't be underestimated

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Somewhere a phantom post is floating around inside this thread.

Sorry.

PS I agree with the British dude. We need 2 corners who can start and 4 we can trust. Ditching Alford would make that job that much harder.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The problem with Alford is being available. He's not a Pro Bowler but when on the field he was not a liability. If he's such a bad corner, then tell me the games when he was playing that he was bad because I am waiting. Was there any "he sucks" when he was playing? No, actually everyone here was pretty happy with him. I would rather have him for four freaking games if that means we get four extra wins in a league where it's hard to win, than throwing out there a platoon of guys from desperation which add up with the cut and signings of a cycle of in-season futility
Him being available is the reason you cut him and I get that, but beggars cannot be choosers when even a serviceable corner is hard to find. If the Cards can sign a guy like Gilmore, then sure, green light on the exit door but doing so now without knowing your upcoming situation is foolhardy
What is ticking me off is not signing a guy like Hamilton, because he makes the act of releasing Alford for cap space plausible

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose