Cards put a price on RB - cheap cheap cheap

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I’m so disgusted with the play calling that I cant believe I even care anymore, hopeless, powerless, need recovery plan as much as this team and this nation.

so Detroit game mentioned when last played together - chase had 2 runs at halftime, Conner 1- in the blow out loss - so don’t know these fools are watching or smoking. Same in the playoff loss. Did not run the ball until we lost the games. Was a theme, everybody saying our stats are balanced more- not early in games - they are not as you look at situational stats. Same as whiz and BA. Edge and CJ both hall of gamer all time greats.

did not pay Edmonds or Conner what most players earn as bonus money all year! 1 mill fir Edmonds 1.7 mill for Conner, doubt if cards pay them now, in their prime. I think Conner was cards offensive mvp, when Kyler went down, Conner carried cards. Kyler came back, might as well have been benched and put a oline in the backfield.

Arizona does not respect running backs, don’t even credit them in our success, team, media, fans. Definitely didn't pay them this year. Without Conner we don’t make the playoffs - and he is 2nd string back up pro bowl RB- bell cow, defense changer, with twitch and big play machine. I can not respect this head coach, run game coordinator, GM or owner. Fundamentally flawed philosophy, game planning, play calling and supervision. Had hope with new run game coordinator, but didn’t fix stupid.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m so disgusted with the play calling that I cant believe I even care anymore, hopeless, powerless, need recovery plan as much as this team and this nation.

so Detroit game mentioned when last played together - chase had 2 runs at halftime, Conner 1- in the blow out loss - so don’t know these fools are watching or smoking. Same in the playoff loss. Did not run the ball until we lost the games. Was a theme, everybody saying our stats are balanced more- not early in games - they are not as you look at situational stats. Same as whiz and BA. Edge and CJ both hall of gamer all time greats.

did not pay Edmonds or Conner what most players earn as bonus money all year! 1 mill fir Edmonds 1.7 mill for Conner, doubt if cards pay them now, in their prime. I think Conner was cards offensive mvp, when Kyler went down, Conner carried cards. Kyler came back, might as well have been benched and put a oline in the backfield.

Arizona does not respect running backs, don’t even credit them in our success, team, media, fans. Definitely didn't pay them this year. Without Conner we don’t make the playoffs - and he is 2nd string back up pro bowl RB- bell cow, defense changer, with twitch and big play machine. I can not respect this head coach, run game coordinator, GM or owner. Fundamentally flawed philosophy, game planning, play calling and supervision. Had hope with new run game coordinator, but didn’t fix stupid.

Not too much to debate.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sure, let's not have any respect for the organization that was doubted by most for signing that oft injured RB before season started. Also what normal fanbase complains about GM signing a guy cheap & coaching staff getting Pro Bowl performance out of him when most thought he was done???

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score
Sure, let's not have any respect for the organization that was doubted by most for signing that oft injured RB before season started. Also what normal fanbase complains about GM signing a guy cheap & coaching staff getting Pro Bowl performance out of him when most thought he was done???
Point well taken. Thank you James Conner, Chase edmonds and Steve Keim. Glad to see eno and ward get some experience also. In the end teams that ran the ball effectively was able to pass efficiently and advance against the strong competitors in the playoffs.

my idea is sign Conner and another bruiser back, as we have enough speed and open field ability at receiver positions And will probably prioritize more in the air red offense. I just think Conner is more valuable and harder to find then chase type rb And proof of need played through the playoffs and on to the super bowl, we beat those teams by running this year, no time run no time to win.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like both Conner and Edmonds.

They are also ten a penny as running backs. Outside a handful of back such as Chubb, Cook, Kamara etc all running backs are ten a penny. The only way Conner and Edmonds they differentiate themselves are as receivers but a few plays aside they were mainly used as short yardage check down options.

I wouldn't lose any sleep about losing either of them, at the same time if we could keep both at reasonable money that would be fine too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Point well taken. Thank you James Conner, Chase edmonds and Steve Keim. Glad to see eno and ward get some experience also. In the end teams that ran the ball effectively was able to pass efficiently and advance against the strong competitors in the playoffs.

my idea is sign Conner and another bruiser back, as we have enough speed and open field ability at receiver positions And will probably prioritize more in the air red offense. I just think Conner is more valuable and harder to find then chase type rb And proof of need played through the playoffs and on to the super bowl, we beat those teams by running this year, no time run no time to win.
I think this is the exact opposite of what we have. Two pair two slower backs in our team would likely make us the slowest offense in the league. And that’s with having a tremendous speed advantage over most teams at QB.

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score
I like both Conner and Edmonds.

They are also ten a penny as running backs. Outside a handful of back such as Chubb, Cook, Kamara etc all running backs are ten a penny. The only way Conner and Edmonds they differentiate themselves are as receivers but a few plays aside they were mainly used as short yardage check down options.

I wouldn't lose any sleep about losing either of them, at the same time if we could keep both at reasonable money that would be fine too.
Well he made pro bowl as a back up rb, 18 tds - Arizona don’t appreciate that? ouchie talks about speed, while we feed speedy rookie Moore like 82 touches, while other teams establish the run. And destroy the cardinals, when it matters.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well he made pro bowl as a back up rb, 18 tds - Arizona don’t appreciate that? ouchie talks about speed, while we feed speedy rookie Moore like 82 touches, while other teams establish the run. And destroy the cardinals, when it matters.
I have no idea what the point you’re making here is, I just pointed out that you’re wrong when you state we have team speed. Compared to most teams - and certainly the best teams in the nfl - we do not.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Of those 18 TD's I would expect any RB to get at least 15 of them. He had some nice one's I'm not going to take away from him vs Chicago, Niners, etc which were truly good open field plays. The vast majority of the rest were "run it in from inside the 5".

I like Conner fine, but I wouldn't pay him more than $4-5m per and even that doesn't appeal to me. He's an effort back. He doesn't have any vision in the run game, he's not particularly quick, he's not going to break your ankles. He's a good player, but you can get most of what he offers for not a lot of money in the RB market.

He had exactly the same touches as Damian Harris, yet Harris had 175 more yards. Harris had the same number of rushing TD's too. Harris is a decent running back but I doubt anyone would be clambering to pay him more than $4-5m if he was FA.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of those 18 TD's I would expect any RB to get at least 15 of them. He had some nice one's I'm not going to take away from him vs Chicago, Niners, etc which were truly good open field plays. The vast majority of the rest were "run it in from inside the 5".

I like Conner fine, but I wouldn't pay him more than $4-5m per and even that doesn't appeal to me. He's an effort back. He doesn't have any vision in the run game, he's not particularly quick, he's not going to break your ankles. He's a good player, but you can get most of what he offers for not a lot of money in the RB market.

He had exactly the same touches as Damian Harris, yet Harris had 175 more yards. Harris had the same number of rushing TD's too. Harris is a decent running back but I doubt anyone would be clambering to pay him more than $4-5m if he was FA.
Watch Mixon, Chubbs, and guys like that. They have power and speed. Conner is a high effort guy with some power.
I love his effort but I think he could be replaced if his demands are too high.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Watch Mixon, Chubbs, and guys like that. They have power and speed. Conner is a high effort guy with some power.
I love his effort but I think he could be replaced if his demands are too high.

Nobody is trying to compare Conner to a top 5-10 RB like Mixon or Chubb. Most of those guys are also getting 12m/year plus.

He is a role player for sure - not a bell cow. We definitely need to draft a RB this year but I like the complimentary skillset of Conner for the right price.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I'm not sure that I agree that the Cardinals don't respect their running game. KK definitely understands that you can't win without the ability to run the ball with success. Our problem in the Detroit loss & pretty much EVERY loss was that our D played like crap, couldn't stop the run, put us in a hole early, and then we had to play catch up by throwing the ball. Yes, we threw the ball way too much early in the Detroit game. The Cardinals took their D for granted. KK obviously saw their pass D as a major area to attack. But, Detroit adjusted their defensive game plan that day, knew what KK was doing, even before we did it. KK got embarrassed with his play calls. It seems that KK's offense is VERY predictable when we're forced to be one dimensional. In today's NFL, you can't expect your offense to come out of the gate with success every week. How many times do we see the really good teams start slowly on offense, but their D keeps them in the game. Once our D-Line & secondary were diminished with injuries, Covid, etc, teams could move at will, eat up clock at will, and score at will. Opponents D's game out early with aggressive game plans that completely confused our offense. With our weak D, before we even knew what hit us, we were down multiple scores. That forced us to be one-dimensional & PREDICTABLE. If our D was stronger, our O would be too.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the not unreasonable stats they had and some flash plays by both guys nobody fears our rushing offense. You can play 7 man boxes against us without fear. Heck the Rams were stopping us with 6 man boxes.

I don't think that's on the players. I think the scheme is rather unimaginative (everything is shotgun, we don't do anything with tosses which other teams use well, and very little with sweeps etc) and the O line is poor at run blocking.

It need's a lot of work. Which is why I'm not particularly interested in investing in a rookie RB.

Imagine our passing attack if we could actually effectively run the ball too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
For the not unreasonable stats they had and some flash plays by both guys nobody fears our rushing offense. You can play 7 man boxes against us without fear. Heck the Rams were stopping us with 6 man boxes.
Aaron Donald is an absolute game wrecker, man.

But I don't disagree with your premise overall. The Cardinals should invest in running the football. The team is absolutely at it's best when they run the ball well.
I don't think that's on the players. I think the scheme is rather unimaginative (everything is shotgun, we don't do anything with tosses which other teams use well, and very little with sweeps etc) and the O line is poor at run blocking.
I do think it's a bit on the players. I think Humphries, Pugh, Hudson, and Beachum are good players. Beachum and Pugh aren't great run blockers, and RG was a revolving issue all year. If I'm the Cardinals, I'm looking at finding a premium RG and keeping the core of the OL around another year. Offensive lines tend to play better the longer they are together and breaking up the group just because of a few issues isn't a smart play.

The Cardinals DO need to play under center more. Read what Manning said about his switch from preferring shotgun over under center. He essentially said that once he understood how much more effective the run game would be that he was sold on playing a whole lot less under center.
It need's a lot of work. Which is why I'm not particularly interested in investing in a rookie RB.

Imagine our passing attack if we could actually effectively run the ball too.
I think the Cardinals should make a push to resign Conner at a decent but not exorbitant contract. He scores TDs and scoring TDs is a very valuable commodity. I'd sign a mid tier RB and draft a trait guy later in the draft. You'd still have Eno and Ward to round out the group and build competition.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody is trying to compare Conner to a top 5-10 RB like Mixon or Chubb. Most of those guys are also getting 12m/year plus.

He is a role player for sure - not a bell cow. We definitely need to draft a RB this year but I like the complimentary skillset of Conner for the right price.
What do the guys mention have in common? They were drafted! We constantly have to fill our roster with free agents that we really can’t afford. So we settle for middle of the pack prove it players. Then when they prove it we may have to watch them walk away.

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score
I have no idea what the point you’re making here is, I just pointed out that you’re wrong when you state we have team speed. Compared to most teams - and certainly the best teams in the nfl - we do not.
James Conner is not our starting running back that is stupid! is my point - he made the pro bowl as a back up starving for carries as we feed rookie speedy Moore 18 carries and 82 touches, did not change a single defense to play the run. In fact forced opposing defenses to play more pass. As a wide receiver should. It’s not on Moore, Kirk is fast, hop is fast, chase is fast, eno also , dont see your point as valid. Conner is fast for a biggen. Defense Buddha is plenty fast and more.

chase started and did not force opposing defenses to play the run. Not that he had attempts early Either. Our lame brain air red coach and dingldorf of new run game coordinator are stupid! Will remain stupid. We went 3 and out passing almost exclusively in most games. Bring in empty backfields and run Murray! great when it worked early in the season, out performed defenses, got the lead and ran the ball too respectable run stats. 202 carries for Conner. When colt was in we ran more early and changed defenses and won through play action and rpo, you know a 3 dimensional offense.

it happened with whiz and BA and I’m the only fan that seemed to notice such crap, Arizona media doesn’t mention it, just the same fundamentally flawed football for 15 years. they blame the olines that are under full pass pressure from first play to the last, rarely or even extremely rarely getting to road grade going forward to change a defense, alway falling back to pass protect.
many qbs not just Kyler, many qbs after kill Kurt was literally injured in bounty gate, leinart too that’s why Kurt went back in in 09. many then Carson, many then Kyler, but none can succeed in this one dimensional environment.

Edge had rare carries in super bowl after re establishing our run game in the playoffs, beanie in 09 - 10 rb carries in both of Arizona’s biggest games is stupid stupid stupid. , Carson won when Chris Johnson was leading the nfl in rushing, Kyler with Conner. rarely sustained success passing , even rarer to celebrate a running back. Same crap now rb dime a dozen, drake had a good season last year, he is better then chase! But chase is less then 1 million Conner 1.7 ! So drake is backing up jacobs in Vegas for a lot more then cardinals will pay for a running back. All, the proof is there, obvious to look at.

and I will continue to harp on this point as we go another 75 years without a championship.

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score

I am he is pro bowl as a back up, in an offense allergic to the run. you put conner on those teams with a team and offense and fan base that cares about establishing the run, he competes with taylor and Henry, actually did before he came here. And we play him behind scat back chase Edmonds that was back up to benchwarmer drake last year. Drake had over 1000 yards combined. Couldn’t het him out of town fast enough, he took back up money! Screw that. It’s cards, fans and media’s fault. Defense can’t play 40 minutes consistently.

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score
I'm not sure that I agree that the Cardinals don't respect their running game. KK definitely understands that you can't win without the ability to run the ball with success. Our problem in the Detroit loss & pretty much EVERY loss was that our D played like crap, couldn't stop the run, put us in a hole early, and then we had to play catch up by throwing the ball. Yes, we threw the ball way too much early in the Detroit game. The Cardinals took their D for granted. KK obviously saw their pass D as a major area to attack. But, Detroit adjusted their defensive game plan that day, knew what KK was doing, even before we did it. KK got embarrassed with his play calls. It seems that KK's offense is VERY predictable when we're forced to be one dimensional. In today's NFL, you can't expect your offense to come out of the gate with success every week. How many times do we see the really good teams start slowly on offense, but their D keeps them in the game. Once our D-Line & secondary were diminished with injuries, Covid, etc, teams could move at will, eat up clock at will, and score at will. Opponents D's game out early with aggressive game plans that completely confused our offense. With our weak D, before we even knew what hit us, we were down multiple scores. That forced us to be one-dimensional & PREDICTABLE. If our D was stronger, our O would be too.
Chase had 2 carries, Conner 1 at halftime against Detroit. We deserve all the lion scat we ate that day. Time of possession was horrible, defense draine, it is designed to be explosive. Not sure what you was watching?

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score

Talking about making my point, about Arizona fans not appreciating running backs! when was the last damn back up rb that made the pro bowl, you know when the starter played most the season? Like never! And any back can do it? my best British accent - yee can steek thees ups your butt ! Hehe I’m attempting to be funny, but my point is self evident.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Talking about making my point, about Arizona fans not appreciating running backs! when was the last damn back up rb that made the pro bowl, you know when the starter played most the season? Like never! And any back can do it? my best British accent - yee can steek thees ups your butt ! Hehe I’m attempting to be funny, but my point is self evident.

He wasn't the backup. He had like 80% more carries than Edmonds.

He had similar carries to several starters.

Still running backs are easy to replace. If anything Conner proves that.

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score
He wasn't the backup. He had like 80% more carries than Edmonds.

He had similar carries to several starters.

Still running backs are easy to replace. If anything Conner proves that
Conner never started a game when chase played, my point exactly, conner is #2 on our depth chart. Still is if you bother to look at it. Or maybe situational stats? Did you watch the games?

Pro bowler Conner didn’t run until we were 21 points down in the play off game, chase had 1 carry! That’s stupid! Conner got his first carry backed up, out of end zone. Then cards promptly threw a pick 6 and was down 28! i mean you had to have noticed the 5 - 3 and outs and 2 interceptions that made up our drive chart in the first 1/2?

only when chase was out did we establish play action early. Edmonds was the starter with 12 games 116 carries and 53 targets. conner played 15 games 202 carrries 39 targets. if we could have gave Kyler the same courtesy of balance as we gave colt, good chance we could be playing next weekend.

conner had 37 carries in the first 1/4 all season. Surprised its that many in 15 games, averaged 2 a game! that’s stupid no matter where your at. Chase had 26 first 1/4 carries as the starter in 12 games! No oline, qb, or defense can be successful like that none ever has! Not Dan Fouts, Marino, Warner, run and shoot, none ever!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/spl.../nfl/player/splits/_/id/3119195/chase-edmonds

Last edited: