Cards new Head Coach: Bears D-Coordinator (Ron Rivera)

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its kind of funny that the national "experts" were ridiculing the Bears 3 years ago for hiring Lovie Smith as the head coach and Ron Rivera as the Defensive Coordinator.

As for Rivera, I have heard nothing but positives from what is usually a very critical Chicago media. The players love him. He is a proven winner on the field (was an integral part of the 1985 Super Bowl team as a linebacker and special teams guy). Is a master X's and O's guy who learned to coach defense under Jim Johnson the d-coordinator at Philadelphia. He was a potential head coaching candidate last year and the media in Chicago is pretty much saying that it is a forgone conclusion that he will leave Chicago at the end of the year and be a head coach next season.

I've heard Rivera in interviews and he is extremely impressive. Has the Mac type enthusiasm without the "aw shucks" kind of corniness. Is a guy that is highly respected because he is very attention to detail oriented and holds guys accountable without embarrassing them in the media.

I love what the Bears are doing and Rivera is a big part of it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he is a headcoach next year, it wont be with the Cards. Unless we win 3 games or less. If not , Green stays.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
YES.....I'm not all alone on the bandwagon anymore.

RedForeman

Registered
Reaction score
Teamed up with a good offence coordinator and you just might have something there. Also, the fact that he's from the Bear's organization, which always seems to be attractive to the Bidwill's.

You must be registered for see images

Ron Rivera

Ron Rivera (born January 7, 1962 in Fort Ord, California) is the first Puerto Rican to play in the NFL (National Football League).

Ron RiveraRivera's parents were born in Puerto Rico. His father joined the Army and was a commissioned officer stationed in California where Ron was born. As a result of his father's military service, Rivera had to travel and was educated in military bases in Germany, Panama, Washington and Maryland. Finally his family moved to central California where he attended Seaside High School. That's where he started playing football.

Rivera was granted a college scholarship and played for the Golden Bears at the University of California, Berkeley. He was an All-American linebacker who once held his school's all-time sack record and was first in career tackles. Rivera still holds the Cal record for most tackles for-a-loss in a season in 1983.

In 1984, Rivera was a second round choice draft pick for the Chicago Bears, becoming the first Puerto Rican to play in the "NFL". In 1985, he played in Super Bowl XX, which the Bears won and he thus became the first Puerto Rican to play in a Super Bowl Championship Team. Rivera played for the Bears for a total of nine seasons (1984-1992). After the Bears won the Super Bowl, Rivera participated in the famed rap music video the team made.

In 1993, Rivera went to work for a WGN-TV and SportsChannel in Chicago as a T.V. analyst covering the Bears and college football. In 1996, he became the defense quality control coach for the Bears.

In 1999, Rivera was named linebackers coach for the Philadelphia Eagles. During his tenure the Eagles advanced to the NFC (National Football Conference) Championships for three consecutive seasons. He is credited with developing linebacker Jeremiah Trotter into a two-time Pro Bowl performer.

On January 23, 2004, Rivera was named the Chicago Bears Defensive Coordinator, becoming the first Puerto Rican in the history of the NFL to hold such a position. In 2005, the Chicago Bears defense was rated #2 in the NFL. The Bears qualified for the NFC Play-Offs losing in the 2nd Round to the Carolina Panthers 29-21. The 2005 season output of the Chicago Bears has earned him consideration for Head Coach assignments from several NFL teams.

Ron Rivera is married and has two children with his wife Stephanie, an assistant coach for the WNBAs Washington Mystics. In 2003 Rivera was inducted into the Division 1-A College Football Hall of Fame. He is also a member of the California Sports Hall of Fame.

Last edited:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Doesn't make any sense IMO.

We already have one of the young up-and-coming defensive coaches in Pendergast, so Rivera is not a clear cut favorite IMO.

We need a creative offensive-minded coach - Ken Wiesenhunt, Al Saunders, Fassel, Gruden (if available).

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I am starting to wonder about Clancy's schemes, everything is predicated on creating pressure through sending blitz packages, this is why our CB's play off of the opposing receivers by about 12 to 15 yards. I can't imagine that the opposing quarterback never notices this and doesn't try to dink and dunk the ball down the field.

And another thing, Eric Green has a pretty hard time staying on his feet and covering most receivers that he plays against.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I am starting to wonder about Clancy's schemes, everything is predicated on creating pressure through sending blitz packages, this is why our CB's play off of the opposing receivers by about 12 to 15 yards. I can't imagine that the opposing quarterback never notices this and doesn't try to dink and dunk the ball down the field.

And another thing, Eric Green has a pretty hard time staying on his feet and covering most receivers that he plays against.

And they have a nasty habit of giving up huge plays.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score

We already have one of the young up-and-coming defensive coaches in Pendergast, so Rivera is not a clear cut favorite IMO.

We need a creative offensive-minded coach - Ken Wiesenhunt, Al Saunders, Fassel, Gruden (if available).

The funny thing is a lot of the defensive-minded coaches get on teams with potent offenses--and seem to gravitate to that (witness Tony Dungy and Marvin Lewis).

Brewster10

Registered
Reaction score
:bhiich:

I love this guy as our next head coach... Hopefully he can bring in a staff that knows what the heck is going on...

Im suprised there is so much love for Rivera given that a lot of fans here seem to think Pendergast is an up and coming genius... and Rivera's arrival would likely end Clancy's stay in Zona..

My take is that I like Pendergast and he's our best coach... but given the rest of the staff that isnt saying a whole lot...

I would love to get Rivera in here... I just hope we're attractive enough... since Im sure other teams will be going after him hard.

RedForeman

Registered
Reaction score

Come on BACH... What has Clancy ever really done? He's the best coach in an organization full of mediocre to bad ones. He had a good Defense 2 years ago and he's just been okay otherwise. This is the 1st year he's been able to stop the run and his defense's have always given up the big play. Not even comparable to what Rivera has done in Chicago the last 2 years.

Now if they go for an offensive guy, I'll agree with you on Wiesenhunt and maybe Saunders.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is a lot of the defensive-minded coaches get on teams with potent offenses--and seem to gravitate to that (witness Tony Dungy and Marvin Lewis).

and offensive minded coaches like Billick keep winning with defense.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
and offensive minded coaches like Billick keep winning with defense.

I'd settle for an intelligent minded coach and while we are at it maybe a really effective upper management, I know, I know put the pipe down.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I like Ron Rivera but anyone who doesn't think Lovie Smith has just a more than little to do with that defense dominant is kidding himself. Thats my main concern.

I have been pimping Kirk Ferentz and Bobby Petrino for sometime now (go look up what Petrino has done - He was the jags offensive coordinator when Brunell had his best years and as he is proving this year his system is not player reliant. Ferentz has put something like 11 offensive lineman in the NFL in his time at Iowa and coached olines under Belichek. Both of these guys are stellar prospects) but if we are going to go defense i have a different guy in mind.

I think we have the personnel for the Tampa -2 and the Bears, Bucs, and Colts have all had major success with it. Remember this name:

Mike Tomlin - DC of the Vikings.

I would prefer him to Ron Rivera

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i like
charlie weis
marice carthon
donnie henderson
jimmy johnson (eagles d-cordinator)

Staff online

Forum statistics