Cards in HD on Directv this weekend?

Reaction score
According to the guide, The Cards-Texans game will be on channel 94 in HD in addition to channel 212 (SD NFL Network) 4pm Saturday. The only thing that worries me is the description has an MLB Extra Innings icon in it. :shrug:

Sometimes these things change last minute but I am really pumped about my seeing the Cardinals in HD for the first time!!!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thatd be nice, the raiders never broadcast in HD. That game was very hard to watch on my set, not only is it standard broadcast, it is low quality standard.

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about the MLB icon. It has no impact on the programming.

Problem 1) Even when NFLN had an HD broadcast, it sometimes took until 5 or 6 minutes in to switch from the SD feed for some reason.

Problem 2) Last weekend's game was not in HD on either feed but was carried on 94, so Channel 94 does not necessarily mean HD.

Problem 3) NFLN did not have an HD feed for Houston's Week 1 preseason game, so their local provider is probably not doing it.

Problem 4) abc15.com is not bragging about having the game in HD, and I suspect they would if they had it.

Don't count on an HD broadcast.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thatd be nice, the raiders never broadcast in HD. That game was very hard to watch on my set, not only is it standard broadcast, it is low quality standard.

Yeah, I haven't seen a football broadcast that bad in the last 4 or 5 years. I Tivoed it, but didn't even bother to watch it again. The quality was so poor, you could harldy read the numbers.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure, according to my friend that knows this stuff, that even if it's on channel 94 in HD, us locals wont see it...it's blocked out and we'll have to watch on ABC or FOX or whatever the national channel is that's showing it.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It will either be broadcast in HD or not.
There won't be two broadcast feeds, one HD and one SD.
Preseason games, unless it is a national broadcast and this is not, are usually handled by the local station, as far as equipment, staff and announcers Channel 15 will be supplying the feed. They have the capability to do HD, so it's possible it may happen.
If Channel 15 does not broadcast the game in HD then all other outlets that claim the game is in HD are up-converting the signal.
I think it would be huge if Channel 15 broadcast the game in HD.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I just e-mailed the engineering department at channel 15 and asked them.

In the past they have been very good about answering e-mails.
Remember the issues they used to have with Suns games in HD? They always went out of their way to answer my nasty e-mails.
This one wasn't nasty so hopefully I'll have an answer tomorrow.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
But doesn't it seem strange to put it on channel 94 if it is no different than what is going to be shown on channel 212?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just e-mailed the engineering department at channel 15 and asked them.

In the past they have been very good about answering e-mails.
Remember the issues they used to have with Suns games in HD? They always went out of their way to answer my nasty e-mails.
This one wasn't nasty so hopefully I'll have an answer tomorrow.

Thanks, let us know what you hear.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But doesn't it seem strange to put it on channel 94 if it is no different than what is going to be shown on channel 212?

Even regular broadcasts are better on the HD channels. They don't seem as smudgy. I think it's the digital vs analog thing.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This is the response I got from the chief engineer at Channel 15.

"An SD game will be on our HD channel, but not in HD."

The game is not being broadcast in HD.

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be recording both channels (it's great to be able to record four channels at once), but I'm pretty sure no feed will be in HD.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
What the hell? I'm watching the HD channel and it's not in HD??? Anyone else having this issue?

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
its not on NFLN in tucson they are running something else... I AM PISSED! by the way, our team sucks.