Cards have signed a new kicker(could beat out Dawson)

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Might be an indication of which way SW and his staff are going to go. Go with vets or stick a newbie in there and let him play? Believe SW stated that he wants to get guys on the field ASAP.

BA was very reluctant to play his rookies to the point that even our first round guys sat the bench. Even DJ sat his rookie year and only started five games.

BA wanted the old vet Dawson to do the FG's---might as well kept Cantanzarro based on the production.

Dawson's career numbers, Cards at very bottom:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/dawsophi01.htm

Chandler Cantanzarro:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CataCh00.htm

Last year, CC at 83% FG and 100% extra points; Dawson at 80% FG and 23 of 26 on extra points. CC already gone from the Jets over to the Bucs.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Might be an indication of which way SW and his staff are going to go. Go with vets or stick a newbie in there and let him play? Believe SW stated that he wants to get guys on the field ASAP.

BA was very reluctant to play his rookies to the point that even our first round guys sat the bench. Even DJ sat his rookie year and only started five games.

BA wanted the old vet Dawson to do the FG's---might as well kept Cantanzarro based on the production.

Dawson's career numbers, Cards at very bottom:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/dawsophi01.htm

Chandler Cantanzarro:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CataCh00.htm

Last year, CC at 83% FG and 100% extra points; Dawson at 80% FG and 23 of 26 on extra points. CC already gone from the Jets over to the Bucs.

Per the article, sounds like the Cards really wanted McCrane and he feels he has a chance to be the kicker. I agree with you that SW may be looking to go and give more of a chance to the newbies than BA. I like that a lot.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We also signed a 6'7'' punter. Always need competition but we probably keep Dawson and Lee for one more season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I like punter Andy Lee, he did well but Dawson was mediocre and is 43 years old. It will be interesting to watch this.
My only question would be McCrane's abilities. He doesn't exactly have great college stats to research and not a whole lot of young kickers seem to work their way into a starting spot in the NFL each year either.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The punter, Joe Davidson, is a talent. He was one of the best in the country. Lee was good but this guy will push him. The placekicker is accurate but doesn’t have a big leg.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The punter, Joe Davidson, is a talent. He was one of the best in the country. Lee was good but this guy will push him. The placekicker is accurate but doesn’t have a big leg.
3/6 on 50+ yard kicks and made one from 54. It's not crazy to think that he might be able to improve upon that this off season and over the next few years.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dawson started terribly --

but he sure was good down the stretch

He had probably the oddest year of his career. He missed all those chippies. But over 50 yards he hammered the ball through. That 58 ydr to beat Jacksonville was amazing. It seemed like it was on a rope.

I would keep the vets at least one more year. But, who knows? Maybe the rooks get out there and blow minds.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Dawson was the offense towards the latter half of the season. Remember, a lot of his misses were because of crap blocking on FG attempts. That was an Amos problem.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Dawson was the offense towards the latter half of the season. Remember, a lot of his misses were because of crap blocking on FG attempts. That was an Amos problem.
Not sure what you mean, Amos was great. (BA)

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He had probably the oddest year of his career. He missed all those chippies. But over 50 yards he hammered the ball through. That 58 ydr to beat Jacksonville was amazing. It seemed like it was on a rope.

I would keep the vets at least one more year. But, who knows? Maybe the rooks get out there and blow minds.

Dawson was mostly solid... A lot of his misses were from bad snaps or holds, and even when those two were good.. We suffered from horrible protection schemes thanks to BA's cronie Amos.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

And...that's what I get for not reading the whole thread.

Suffice to say... I agree :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave