Cards 3rd pick: FS - Tyrann Mathieu

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
In his conference call. He is balling through the whole thing. He knows the huge second chance he has been given. Said he will accept anything the team wants to do with him. If they want to drug test him every week they can, if they want him to see a counselor on a regular basis he will, and so on. Willing to put his character in his contract.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly, a lot of posters do not really believe in BPA. There was no one CLOSE to this kid's TALENT for big time plays that we could've chosen instead at that point.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It amazes me how some people don't understand the value of a second chance. My comment earlier about PP21 was directed at the fact that he has surely talked to him, and surely vouched for him. Arians is THE GUY to mentor him, and PP21 and Dockett will make him into a man. The value for the pick is insane. Insane.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Honey Badger about to be on NFL Network after the commercial break!

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the pick. Straight up playmaker. One of the best if not the best tackling DB the last year he played. Stuck his nose into everything(no drug jokes). If he didnt get kicked out of school he would have easily been a 1st rounder.

Peterson vouched for his character, Petersons Dad who is a highly thought of personal trainer to football players vouched for his character. Also little known fact, he actually was dating Bowles stepdaughter for a while so Bowlers knows this kids character as well. If there was a team that had a inside track on this kids current well being mentally and emotional it would be this team. The kid with his agent also said in a prior interview if any team wanted to he would put into his contract weekly drug testing. Kid made a mistake, a big one, he paid for it, got himself clean, and now he gets his second chance. Just don't screw it up.

Thanks Joe!

Well put and makes me feel better about this pick.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
One thing is for sure...... Last year Keim would have been overruled if he fought for TM. Maybe even told to shut up, or even removed from the board months earlier.

It's a new day in Redbird land.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is crying same old Cardinals? Most are saying its a sure sign things have changed. This is proof positive that Michael Bidwill is now 100% in charge of the Franchise. Dollar Bill wouldn't have let a kid like this within 100 miles of the team.

My only concern is how not playing last year will affect him going forward.

Not going to go thru the lst but there are quite a few posters pissed about this selection.

I'm not. We know the kid can play. He now needs to prove he's grown up. If he does, we look like geniuses. If he doesn't , it's Buster Davis all over again.

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
It amazes me how some people don't understand the value of a second chance. My comment earlier about PP21 was directed at the fact that he has surely talked to him, and surely vouched for him. Arians is THE GUY to mentor him, and PP21 and Dockett will make him into a man. The value for the pick is insane. Insane.

Couldn't agree more. I hope this young man makes every other team regret passing on him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This guy is an insane play maker and I would hope that they have him take over PR from PP21 because we certainly don't need him getting hurt playing ST. TM has some of the most ridiculous PRs that I have ever seen before and some of the plays that he makes are pretty much out of this world. Hopefully he can stay out of trouble, but it sounds like he is committed to staying clean.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Never underestimate the power of making your top young star happy....

Darren Urban ‏@Cardschatter 26 Apr
Peterson said he told the Cardinals he'd put his "neck on the line" to vouch for Mathieu. But Peterson is sure Mathieu won't slip.

Patrick Peterson on Mathieu: "it's one of the happiest days of my life. I felt like I was drafted all over again."

Kent Somers ‏@kentsomers 26 Apr
Pat P says he's confident Mathieu is over past mistakes.

Pat p says it almost feels like he got drafted. Thrilled for Tyrann #AZCardinals

Tyrann Mathieu: "It doesn't matter what is in my contract." Said #AzCardinals could put whatever they want in it to test him for drugs.

Mathieu says he was never a bad teammate, as Polian suggested. Said he a problem with marijuana and has improved his life

Tyrann Mathieu is crying all the way through this conference call.

Jason Whitlock ‏@WhitlockJason 26 Apr
Next kid questioned on TV about smoking weed, particularly on a sports outlet, should ask the interviewer if he/she smoked weed in college.

DARNELL DOCKETT ‏@ddockett 26 Apr
Congrats @Mathieu_Era u kinda remind me of my self. Glad to have u join us #underdogg #birdgang " great pick Steve and coach"

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt 26 Apr
Patrick Peterson just had another job title handed to him by the Cardinals.

Larry Fitzgerald ‏@LarryFitzgerald 26 Apr
Welcome @Mathieu_Era to the @AZCardinals I think you will know a couple of guys on the team already!! #NFLDRAFT #azcardinals

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell 26 Apr
Honey Badger the 1st prominent name to hit the under. Goes 69th. Oddsmakers had his O/U at 75.

toddmjohns ‏@toddmjohns 26 Apr
Honey Badger. RT @adbrandt The more people around the player when he's drafted, the more I worry about his long-term financial security.

Matt Williamson ‏@WilliamsonNFL 26 Apr
Honey Badger and Patrick Peterson! Will be great blitzer out of slot...special teams demon

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 26 Apr
So Tyrann Mathieu goes high in 3rd round, where many expected as this process unfolded

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He also had a little bit of a Adrian Wilson demeanor in his interview.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Keims plan is to get smaller and slower with highest risk at each position- Damn I'm disappointed- I thought we went mainstream away from being the laughing stock - but no- We got stupider!

This post, amazingly, earns you a spot on my ignore list.

You gotta be Tangodanzr. No other person has the same weird wiring

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Kent Somers ‏@kentsomers 23h
Polian was strong re Mathieu: "He's proven to be irresponsible. I don't know why you'd want him at any price. "

Wow..... No wonder you were fired. Tell Graves we all said hi.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The kid isn't a criminal, he smoked pot and got caught and punished for it.
How many here have smoked pot? I have, the laws are archaic!

We just got a hell of a football player that is surrounded by what he considers to be family and he has a chip on his shoulder.

I like it!

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm excited to see him play. Even if he burns out, he's bound to provide some highlights along the way. And if he succeeds, watch out.

Nobody can call our draft boring this year, that's for sure.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Probably the best thing that could have happened to him. He now knows what it is like to be without football. He knows he screwed up and cost himself a year of football, his reputation, and lots of money with his drop in where he was drafted. He has the motivation to stay clean so he can keep playing and play well enough to prove people wrong and cash in at the pro level if he performs well enough on and off the field.

C'mon, Honey Badger !!!

I can understand the mental side of it. I'm more concerned with his skills eroding from not playing or practicing or even rehabbing while being around the team for a year.

Anyone know of other players who missed an entire year like this and came back to the same level they were before?

As others have said though Arizona seems to be the perfect place for TM to make it work.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Hey Jake..... Did you see this.....

Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki 8m
Hearing Cards wanted Texas WR Marquise Goodwin, thought they could get him in the fourth round he went to Buffalo. #SpeedWR

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave